Rumor: Apple taps Catcher for metal casings on next-gen 'iPhone 6'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

I think the mock-up's shown are ugly. The rounded bezel looks band, the home button is squeezed in too tight and I think it looks too thin and hard to hold. I would take a thicker phone with added battery life over something so thin. Why does the thickness at this level

matter so much. The 5c is thin enough

Spot on Bud,I agree 100%

• Reply 22 of 137
    markboard wrote: »
    Wow looks pretty fine metal casing design :)

What design are you referring to?
  • Reply 23 of 137
    rogifan wrote: »
    Can rumor sites PLEASE quit posting these Martin Hajek mockups already. They're not based in reality and the latest ones just look like an HTC One with an iOS screen plastered on the front.

I agree. The mockups are just plain sad phablet fantasies. They're not even based on leaked photos or rumored specs. They are literally a fantasy.
  • Reply 24 of 137
    jd mbajd mba Posts: 38member
    crysisftw wrote: »
    A larger screen? Am I really the only one who thinks that 3.5" iPhone is perfect for human hands?

Indeed you are the only one...
  • Reply 25 of 137
    adhiradhir Posts: 50member
    Not feeling the design. Hopefully Apple will produce something more attractive than that.
  • Reply 26 of 137
    adhir wrote: »
    Not feeling the design. Hopefully Apple will produce something more attractive than that.

This isn't "the design." This isn't the work of Jony Ive. It's Martin Hajek's fantasy.
  • Reply 27 of 137
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    nikilok wrote: »
    I don't know how Apple will manage to keep single handed operations on a screen that big. They will have to redesign not just the UI at the OS level but app developers would have to rethink that aspect as well.

People keep saying this, but what "one handed" operation would you lose with a bigger screen?

Notification screen, notifications, scrolling, deleting emails, etc etc can all be done from the right side of the screen- you don't have to be in the middle. So what are you trying to do on your phone where you won't be able to reach the top left corner or top middle of your phone with your right thumb?

Seems like pointless "don't change" talk, but no meat to back up the claim of losing any ability.

Who doesn't text or type with two thumbs currently? Do you hunt and peck on a keyboard too?
  • Reply 28 of 137
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    What are they going to call the 6c when the 6s comes out? 6sc? Sorry, off topic...
  • Reply 29 of 137
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post

A larger screen? Am I really the only one who thinks that 3.5" iPhone is perfect for human hands?

God I hope so. It might be perfect for human hands but not for human eyes for most of us. Bring on the 4.7" or larger that so many of us have been waiting for very patiently. 

• Reply 30 of 137
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    AND STILL SOLD MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE, MAKING MORE MONEY THAN ANYONE ELSE, AND HAVING MORE DEVICES IN USE THAN ANYONE ELSE.

Since when has Apple cared what idiots have said about them?

No, a reasonable person looks at the sales and use stats.

You're really not giving iOS and Apple hardware credit.

And it's an argument that can't be proven or disproven so why have it?

Id rather have a small tasty apple than a big rotten one. But Id like a big tasty apple if one existed.
  • Reply 31 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What design are you referring to?

Surely iP6 golden-framed one :)

• Reply 32 of 137
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member

There have been few new designs from the chief in industrial designs. Perhaps his team is running out of ideas.

• Reply 33 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

I don't know how Apple will manage to keep single handed operations on a screen that big. They will have to redesign not just the UI at the OS level but app developers would have to rethink that aspect as well.

I am extremely curious to see a breakdown of the percentage of time a typical iPhone user uses it with 1 hand vs. 2 hands. Whenever I see people using their phones whether it is an iPhone, Galaxy, or anything else more than just a few seconds they nearly always rest the phone in one hand and use the far more precise index fingers of the other hand to operate the display. Most of the apps I use either look better in landscape mode or in many cases ONLY work in landscape which requires 2 handed use on an iPhone. Who are these mythical 1 handed users and why should Apple care about them anymore since usage patterns have changed now that phones are more computer than phone now. 

• Reply 34 of 137
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post

Do you care about your eyes? Can you read stuff on your iPhone clearly? You must be using magnifying glasses when reading off your phone screen.

• Reply 35 of 137
    ryan96ryan96 Posts: 11member
    That was exactly what I was thinking. The home button is spaced fine on the 5&5s any farther it won't look right. As for the separated bezel from the back, ugly, the bezel is ugly too. They should make the iPhone look better, not worse. I do like the blue metal mockup though. That's what I thought they should have done the first time around. And I love the chamfered edges of the 5s, except they get scratched all the time and get dull and hard to clean. [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
  • Reply 36 of 137
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

I really wish Apple would start using that LiquidMetal tech that they invested in years ago.  It would really up the ante, more so than that stupid SIM ejector.  Seriously, a LiquidMetal SIM ejector.!?  That's it so far?

• Reply 37 of 137

I for one hope the power/sleep button moves from the top to the right side. I actually preferred the headphone port on the top like my old 4S also. Having the headphone port on bottom makes it more awkward for many use scenarios especially in my car with auxiliary. I wish that would go back to the top then move the power button to the right which currently is unused space. While they are at it the volume buttons are pretty hard to access in a case. I wouldn't mind slightly larger buttons that are easier to raise or lower volume. 

• Reply 38 of 137
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    There's no reason to kill the 3.5" iPhone.

On the contrary, it would give Apple the opportunity to offer a sub 500$ 16GB iPhone mini.

Don't expect the 4.7" and 5.5" iPhone to come cheap …
  • Reply 39 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Roly View Post

What are they going to call the 6c when the 6s comes out? 6sc? Sorry, off topic...

Nope.

5 became 5C. 5S will become 5SC (or, rather, just 5S if they don’t change it). 6 comes out, then 6S. No 6C unless they plasticize the 6 after the 6S is released.

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Do you care about your eyes? Can you read stuff on your iPhone clearly? You must be using magnifying glasses when reading off your phone screen.

If only there was a way to zoom text such that it could become bigger!

• Reply 40 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

I really wish Apple would start using that LiquidMetal tech that they invested in years ago.  It would really up the ante, more so than that stupid SIM ejector.  Seriously, a LiquidMetal SIM ejector.!?  That's it so far?

I was thinking the same thing. I am guessing it is a cost issue at the moment. But that will be a great feature for the iPhone 7 hopefully.