Apple's Cook touts Microsoft Office for iPad, says it could have come sooner

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2014
Apple CEO Tim Cook on Wednesday said that Microsoft's Office for iPad is a "key franchise" in enterprise, an area where Apple is pushing for tablet dominance, but admitted the software could have come a bit sooner.

While Cook offered a good deal of praise for Office, saying Microsoft's productivity suite is a good fit for iPad, the Apple chief tempered his enthusiasm by pointing out how long the Redmond, Wash.-based company took to bring the software over

"Office is still a very key franchise in the enterprise, in particular, and I think having it on the iPad is good," Cook said. "If it had been done earlier, it would have been better for Microsoft frankly."

The long-awaited productivity suite was an instant hit, topping the iOS App Store charts within hours of release and raking in more than 12 million downloads after one week of availability.

Microsoft launched Office for iPad a little over one week ago as a standalone extension of its Office 365 program. Users can download the apps -- Word, Excel and PowerPoint -- and view documents for free, but editing and saving requires a supported Office 365 subscription.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Ohh!  How can he say that while he is having iWork in action!  :embarrass

Is this to show enterprises that Apple is going in good terms with Microsoft?  

• Reply 2 of 28
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    chandra69 wrote: »

Enterprise doesn't use iWork- only people on AI?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

“If it had been done earlier, it would have been better for Microsoft frankly. Because while they were sitting on their thumbs, we made iWork good enough that no one cares about their garbage anymore.

• Reply 4 of 28
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Ohh!  How can he say that while he is having iWork in action!  1embarassed.gif

Enterprise doesn't use iWork- only people on AI?

I meant he can push iWork to Enterprise.  But nothing can beat Excel. But still...

• Reply 5 of 28
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    The problem with all this stuff is that it is not fully compatible con Mac. That is why a truly portable and pocketable Mac is needed. Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations MADE on a Mac desktop computer.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    There is no question about it at this point, Cook is Apple's Ballmer and is even less charismatic than Ballmer. The fact that Apple has to even mention Microsoft's Office for iPad release shows that they are on the defensive. Android continues to eat away at mobile marketshare worldwide and Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.1 has finally cometh. Apple will always have the fanboys that are happy to over pay for Apple products but the heard is thinning. Google first and now Microsoft are positioned for the future which is all about the cross-platform products and services. Apple continues to limit their customer's choices and charge them an insane tax for the privelage. Once any new technology matures the hardware is commoditized. Apple needs to start developing for cross-platform experiences and build out a real backed cloud infrastructure if they don't want end up as a niche company that sells overpriced products to a small subset of consumers(Macs are the perfect example from the past). Apple may have a healthy market share in the US but the rest of the world is not going to pay the gluttonous Apple tax for their products.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

The problem with all this stuff is that it is not fully compatible con Mac.

What stuff, iWork? ‘Course it is.

• Reply 8 of 28
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Actually if you look at the top enterprise apps listed by Good, iWork apps are all in the top 10.

Cook noted that while MSFT delayed, a variety of productivity apps have been adopted by business, including Apple's own.

If MSFT wasn't threatened by the prospect of being left behind on iPad as other office apps took over, it would have continued to keep Office exclusive to Windows tablets. It's not like it's making tons of revenue from subscription plans that enterprise users are likely to pay for whether or not they have an iPad.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

The problem with all this stuff is that it is not fully compatible con Mac. That is why a truly portable and pocketable Mac is needed. Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations MADE on a Mac desktop computer

I see your point, but that starts to sound like an Apple "surface" and MSFT version didn't work out to well in that regard.

• Reply 10 of 28
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member

It's definitely a good thing that Office is on iPad - as great as iWork is, it doesn't have even the slightest foothold in the enterprise market, and it won't anytime soon.

Plus, honestly, Office 365 is amazing. I love it so much that I put Windows 8 virtualisation on my iMac just so that I can run it there in its full glory. From my perspective it's the best product Microsoft has made for a long time. A perfect fit for Apple hardware (so, MS, please release a native version of Office 365 for OS X as soon as you can...it would be an ideal fit for OS X as well...)

• Reply 11 of 28
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

just think about how much money Apple will not make on iWork..  oh no!!!! wait.... 

• Reply 12 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    snova wrote: »
    just think about how much money Apple will not make on iWork..  oh no!!!! wait.... 

They could always offer an Enterprise in-app purchase for Numbers that will net them a decent profit but I am not sure that's the way to go. If you want Enterprise customers and your profits come from selling devices, not SW, then selling an Enterprise IAP isn't likely to work out well.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    undefined

• Reply 14 of 28
    Both Microsoft and Apple need to have these Office (or iWorks) apps work with something other than their own basic cloud service. Neither solution is appropriate for medical HIPPA-compliant storage. Our entire mobile practice for all providers runs on iPhones, iPads and MacBooks -- nothing else. We are able to work effectively on a modest 3G cellular connection.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    I like pages
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

and think how much they make if microsoft sells a 365 subscription through the App Store...  

• Reply 17 of 28
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

"...but admitted the software could have come a bit sooner."

Um, how exactly is that an "admission"? He was not referring to his own or his company's failure. He was remarking on a gaffe by another company. How about, "He took a subtle swipe at Microsoft, saying, 'If it had been done earlier, it would have been better for Microsoft frankly.'"

• Reply 18 of 28
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

"...but admitted the software could have come a bit sooner."

Um, how exactly is that an "admission"? He was not referring to his own or his company's failure. He was remarking on a gaffe by another company. How about, "He took a subtle swipe at Microsoft, saying, 'If it had been done earlier, it would have been better for Microsoft frankly.'"

I was thinking the same thing. Since it was such a poor piece of writing, I assumed it was done deliberately to encourage people to comment on it.

Journalism isn't what it used to be ...

• Reply 19 of 28
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Iphone 3gs View Post

I like pages

Me too.

I wouldn't write a thesis with it, but for 95% of the stuff I do, it's just the ticket.

• Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

Both Microsoft and Apple need to have these Office (or iWorks) apps work with something other than their own basic cloud service. Neither solution is appropriate for medical HIPPA-compliant storage. Our entire mobile practice for all providers runs on iPhones, iPads and MacBooks -- nothing else. We are able to work effectively on a modest 3G cellular connection.

3G cellular for medical use?