Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' may sport curved edges, display glass

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
A report on Wednesday claims Apple's next-generation iPhone may employ a curved chassis design and accompanying display glass, a vast departure from the substantially squared-off design used on existing Apple handsets.

Squair's "Curvaceous Bumper." | Source: Squair

Citing a "trusted source," Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports the so-called "iPhone 6" will sport "rounded" edges and a curved display glass much like the design seen on Samsung's Galaxy S III. The publication's sources have a decent track record in predicting future Apple product designs, especially regarding displays and screen tech.

Aside from the Galaxy S III, Apple's supposed iPhone design is akin to an existing iPhone bumper made by Japanese company Squair (seen above). The metallic bumper, made out of Duralumin, features a largely rounded-off edge that protrudes from the iPhone's chassis. It is unclear if the iPhone 6 will boast such a severe curvature.

To accommodate the rounded edges, a slightly curved display glass is also said to be part of Apple's design plans. Based on what can be gleaned from the report, it seems like the top glass will not feature a convex face, but rounded edges to sit flush with the chassis.

Finally, the iPhone 6 will do away with the dual glass-covered antenna windows seen on the back of iPhone 5 and 5s models, the source said. It is unknown what method of radio transmission will be utilized in the upcoming handset, though Apple will likely take steps to avoid another "antennagate" debacle.

Earlier this month, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in a research note that Apple would release two new iPhones this year, a 4.7-inch version and a larger phablet-style 5.5-inch model. Kuo believes the 4.7-inch iteration will use a 1,334-by-750-pixel display with a resolution of 326 pixels per inch in a bid to maintain congruency with current apps. The 5.5-inch version would be a more traditional 1,920-by-1,080 pixels, which translates to 401ppi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

This is good news!! I personally detest the squared off design and the sharp edges. This will be a nice change (if it is true)

• Reply 2 of 45
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So basically the new iPhone will have an iPod touch/iPad style design.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    whodawhoda Posts: 29member
    I'm sure it will be nice, but I'm definitely into the defined edges the iPhone has had since 4. If some how the glass is curved to increase one handed use, then that will be cool though.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    rogifan wrote: »

The article says like the Samsung Galaxy S III. For the clickbait.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Click bait is usually the title. No way of telling that there's a SGS 3 reference until after you've clicked on it.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    which is stupid. iPod and iPad have curved design. The only interesting thing is how they handle the antennas. I'd love it if they could do something similar to the LTE iPad but not sure if that is feasible with the iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 45

How retro :(

• Reply 8 of 45
    no!!! no curved edges! i set my phone on its edges on a flat surface to take photos so often, i would miss being able to do that...

i hear what others are saying about the feel tho, the flat edge definitely took getting used to after the iPhone 3.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

I really hope this will not turn out to be true. It will be a huge step backwards; a case of form over function.

There are so many Apps, built-in functionality, and general uses. that utilize the flat end, edges, and the flat back of the iPhone.

It's also what really sets the iPhone apart, visually, from it's competitors.

• Reply 10 of 45
    deepkiddeepkid Posts: 97member
    Those curves look like a 1991 Ford Taurus, not a BMW. :/
  • Reply 11 of 45
    [COLOR=blue]Curved glass?! OMG, here comes another lawsuit from Samscum claiming they came up with the idea first! Think I'll park my butt with a beer in my hand and some popcorn on the side to watch the fireworks! :p[/COLOR]
  • Reply 12 of 45
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Now, iPHone looks like Samsung phones. But no one cares... because 

1. It can be Apple's slap to Samsung 

2. People think still iPhone is cool. 

• Reply 13 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »

Yes, but I assume they will have figured out a way to make the antenna still external. I'm not even sure that's possible but I am assuming it until shown proof that it's not.

PS: The history of the Stealth Bomber's evolution and difficultly of moving from flat to curved panels made possible because of some obscure math done by a Russian mathematician is an interesting story. I think it might have been NOVA episode but I'm not certain.

stf2012 wrote: »
    no!!! no curved edges! i set my phone on its edges on a flat surface to take photos so often, i would miss being able to do that...

Looks like you'll have to wait to buy it with Curvair's "Squaireous Bumper." :D
  • Reply 14 of 45
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Now, iPHone looks like Samsung phones. But no one cares... because 
    1. It can be Apple's slap to Samsung 
    2. People think still iPhone is cool. 

The original iPhone and the next generation of iPhone, as well as the iPad and most of the iPods have had curved edges.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Noooo!
    I hope Apple retains the current design and form factor of the iPhone.
    Isn't that why it is selling well?
  • Reply 16 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Blah, blah, blah...

• Reply 17 of 45
    Blah, blah, blah...

Yada, yada, yada...
  • Reply 18 of 45
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I like the square sides - that way I can set it on a level surface and it doesn't fall over.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    The curved edges may be more than aesthetics. I remember reading an article about Apple's interest touch capable areas other than a phone's screen. Imagine if the rounded touch-capable areas could be used for input. Apps could do all sorts of things.

- sliders (volume, etc)
    - control areas for games
    - maybe even a "modifier key" for a normal touch
  • Reply 20 of 45
    bro2mabro2ma Posts: 35member
    Hope this isn't true, the flat edges are great use in multiple aspects as has been stated.