Purportedly 'leaked' iPhone 6 case compared with iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 and Note 3 in video

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
A video published on Wednesday compares a case supposedly built to wrap Apple's next-generation iPhone with Google's LG-made Nexus 5 and Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 phablet, offering new perspective on the device's possible size.

Source: Unbox Therapy via YouTube

After pictures of purported "iPhone 6" cases made the rounds online last week, YouTube channel Unbox Therapy got its hands on the product for a closer look.

As seen in the clip, the case is substantially larger than Apple's current iPhone 5s, which boasts a 4-inch screen. According to Unbox Therapy's Lewis Hilsenteger, the dimensions imply the product was made for a device with a large screen, including a much-rumored 4.7-inch display format.

In comparison to the Nexus 5 and Galaxy Note 3, the supposed iPhone 6 case and paper mock-up is closest to Google's handset in terms of screen size and dimensions. The Note 3 expectedly eclipsed the case in both width and height.

The pink case also reveals potential handset thickness. Comparing it to the iPhone 5s, Hilsenteger found the entire case to be thinner than the current phone's 7.6-millimeters chassis.

Other notable features include a sleep/wake button positioned on the side of the device rather than the top, a major departure from Apple's always consistent physical control layout. In addition, the volume buttons seem to be more in line with the iPad lineup than the round chiclet-style parts used in the most recent iPhone models. Prior to the iPhone 4, Apple's handset sported rocker buttons for volume control.

The side-mounted sleep/wake button was first suggested in a research note from KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. In the same document, Kuo said Apple will likely release two iPhone models this year, with a 4.7-inch version expected in early fall and a 5.5-inch iteration pushed back to the end of quarter four.

The video backs up rumors that Apple is planning to shift the iPhone's design toward a rounded edge casing first introduced with the iPad mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Same rumor, different video.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    It looks like they are going with a case that is more reminiscent to the iPads, iPod Touches which has that more rounded edges on the back, which would make sense.

I hope it comes out in June!!!!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 28
    bro2mabro2ma Posts: 35member
    Where are the teardrop rumors from last year
  • Reply 4 of 28
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bro2ma wrote: »
    Where are the teardrop rumors from last year

Weren't those 2 years ago? I remember those rumors being about the iPhone 5
  • Reply 5 of 28
    bro2mabro2ma Posts: 35member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Weren't those 2 years ago? I remember those rumors being about the iPhone 5

My bad, wow time goes by fast!
  • Reply 6 of 28
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bro2ma wrote: »
    My bad, wow time goes by fast!

Sure does, seems only like yesterday that Gizmodo was showing off the ill gotten iPhone 4.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

hope they leave existing 4" size as an option. If they do, I'll likely stick with it at my next upgrade cycle.  Not sure what I will do if they don't offer it.

• Reply 8 of 28
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

First, there are rumours about 4.7" iPhones, then someone build a case based on those rumours, then the analyst who had predicted the rumour, will take this case as evidence to his prediction!!

• Reply 9 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) He's incorrect about the size of the Nexus 5. It's bigger than the case and the case is bigger than what would fit inside it. If you were put the device it's made for next to the Nexus 5 it would be much clearer.

2) If they use the same PPI as the current iPhone (which I think is more than acceptable) the new resolution will about 1336x750. I'm thinking if they go with 4.7" they'll probably use a new PPI.

3) That's looking pretty large to me. I'm not sure I'd want to go that route. At least in the following 4.7" device comparisons, I am also not liking the symmetrical bezels when going to a device that large.

drblank wrote: »
    I hope it comes out in June!!!!!!!

If that happens it'll have to come out with a version of iOS 7 since iOS 8 won't even introduced and given to developers until June.

snova wrote: »
    hope they leave existing 4" size as an option. If they do, I'll likely stick with it at my next upgrade cycle.  Not sure what I will do if they don't offer it.

Do you mean an updated 4" iPhone with new, 2014 components, like an A8 and M8 chip? I hope that is the case but if they don't I think they'll still keep the 4" regardless just as they (oddly to me) have kept the 3.5" iPhone 4S.

helia wrote: »
    First, there are rumours about 4.7" iPhones, then someone build a case based on those rumours, then the analyst who had predicted the rumour, will take this case as evidence to his prediction!!

We've seen case leaks in the past. Apple seems to leak specs for case makers early on but this seems extra early for the standard Autumn release.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Rumor has it samsung will sue for design infringement.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We've seen case leaks in the past. Apple seems to leak specs for case makers early on but this seems extra early for the standard Autumn release.

Exactly!

• Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

4"? Hell, my Wife has a 4S on a 3 year contract that will be up this October... and she doesn't want to give it up. Still loves her 3.5" iPhone. lol

• Reply 13 of 28
    mtjsmtjs Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Boom

The stock will be $100 by december

And you are correct, since there will be a 1:7 stock split in june. :)

• Reply 14 of 28
    Ear pod jack?
  • Reply 15 of 28
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    Looks perfect in size! I want one...
  • Reply 16 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    vaporland wrote: »

Joke or not I'm unsure what that comment is meant to mean.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    appalive wrote: »
    Ear pod jack?

Very nice catch. It sure didn't exist on the bottom of that case, and we didn't get to see the top.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    ireland wrote: »
    vaporland wrote: »

Joke or not I'm unsure what that comment is meant to mean.

There's a group of people who want Apple to make a large iPhone saying they are behind and if it happens, they'll mock them for copying Samsung's lead in making larger screen phones. Not everyone who wants a larger iPhone thinks like that but it's mainly the Windows/Android guys who are desperate to validate their opinion that Apple needs to catchup to innovative Samsung or Google or some other Apple competitor. Larger screens and notification panels are all they have to go on.

The design shown here doesn't look too bad but there have been cases put in production before that were wrong such as the wedged/tapered iPhone:

http://www.wired.com/2011/08/hot-hot-iphone-5-mockups-based-on-leaked-case-designs/

Rounded edges would avoid the chipping that shows on the chamfered edge but it wouldn't have the glint from the sunlight. It might also be more susceptible to dents like the original iPhone with the rounded edges:

I suppose they could do it like the 3GS and curve it at the back and then have a flatter edge at the front to catch the light. The curved sides are more comfortable to hold. I'd expect a unibody design again and some mockups show a flat full metal back separated from the surrounding band. If they went with a full metal back, separating the top and bottom antennas while maintaining the curve doesn't seem very easy to do unless the entire top and bottom are split off like one of the leaked photos showed.

The Nexus 5 has a 5" screen so it's possible that the iPhone there would be 4.7" but they've pushed the screen out quite far and the bottom bezel especially looks too small. They might have opted for 4.5", which is like the following:

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

That still looks a bit bulky to me and I think they'd have to pull the side bezels in.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Heh, I forgot how busy the top edge of the iPhone used to be.  I wonder if it's been a conscious effort in Apple to separate that stuff out, given how the SIM card slot is now on the side, headphone jack on the bottom and the rumours of the sleep/wake button moving too.  Would be quite sensible, seeing how the top edge is the least accessible as it's furthest from your hands when the phone is in portrait orientation.

It'd be quite strange to have the top completely smooth, there hasn't been a totally bare edge since the 3GS.

• Reply 20 of 28
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

I'd rather Apple copy the HTC ONE -- but I don't really expect much of a change, iterative refinement with bigger screen and thinner phone.    Jon Ive send out another 5c and they'll have to take his knighthood away.