Notes of interest from Apple's Q2 2014 conference call

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Impressive and useful site. Love the use of modern web code.

Yeah, it rocks. The ONLY thing I would LIKE to see on the site, but I know he can't, is sales per SKU. It would be nice to see the sales of each model desktop, laptop, iPhone/iPod/IPad model just to see trends and breakdowns in the market.

He has made some cool changes with how the data is presented, but it's up to date fairly quickly and I routinely spend at least 30 hours quarter looking at the numbers and noticing year to year trends by quarter.

He's got other companies that he plans on putting up, so maybe soon he'll have other companies we want to look at, but this site is a MUST HAVE for ANYONE that wants to see Apple, or the other companies listed from a more detailed perspective.
  • Reply 22 of 32

Hello there, I’m the creator of Bare Figures.

@drblank: Thanks a lot for the praise, that is really nice of you. You’re right, sales per SKU would be awesome. If only Apple would officially release that data… But I think Asymco does a perfect job in analyzing and estimating numbers of that kind.

@SolipsismX: Thanks a lot for noticing that! :-)

Right now I’m refactoring a lot in the backend of the site to make it a lot better. After that I will continue to add new companies. Stay tuned! :-)

• Reply 23 of 32
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    The 95% and 91% market share for Education and Enterprise, respectively, is absolutely staggering, and is the most important take-away from today's conference call. Those numbers, in a nutshell, explain why IOS users outspend Android users by a significant margin. Educated consumers with disposable income choose iOS over Android. The future is bright. $150 a share by 2016.:p
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Does anyone know have an idea of what the repatriation tax rate is? Would the cash be taxed as income just as if it was earned in the US? Is there a snowball's chance in hell that the Fed Gov't would create a repatriation tax holiday in the foreseeable future? What is Apple ultimately going to do with the $120b that sits overseas? Is there a way they can spend that $? Acquisitions? It would be nice if APple Insider would editorialize this aspect of Apple's business. Thanks.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    I was looking for the ¿ at the end of your question. All things remain relative in a stock split....7x the amount of shares, 1/7 the share price and 1/7 the dividend. Plus, obviously, earnings per share will be 1/7, also, which directly relates to the dividend.

Gonna be strange to see Apple trade in the $80 area. And then earnings of $1.50+ a share.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Wonder if judge cote, DOJ, google/Samscum, amzn boozo, WSJ.....el al, has been shorting appl shares? They might have to pound their heads against the wall tomorrow to let the shit come out...
  • Reply 27 of 32
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Yep did not take the analysis long to come up with why apple is Doomed, they were disappointed Apple did not announce any new products on the call. They are still making statement that apple is over valued since they have no new product and the fact they were not introduced yesterday show that apple has nothing in the pipeline.

Is the investment community that stupid to listen to analysis making that statement when Apple entire history they never intro a product on an earning call.

• Reply 28 of 32
    eric38 wrote: »
    The 95% and 91% market share for Education and Enterprise, respectively, is absolutely staggering, and is the most important take-away from today's conference call. Those numbers, in a nutshell, explain why IOS users outspend Android users by a significant margin. Educated consumers with disposable income choose iOS over Android. The future is bright. $150 a share by 2016.:p

I agree. I'm particularly happy to see the Enterprise number so high because it also means Microsoft has been frozen out of the market where it once enjoyed total dominance. They came late to the party with so-so products and couldn't muscle themselves back in and dominate. Another market Microsoft lost out on is the U.S. government purchases for phones and tablets. The GSA went through the whole process from RFQ to award while Microsoft sat out the process. That was a three-year contract with a three-year optional extension. Apple was the only company who's phone and table was accepted.

Someday someone will write a book on how Steve Ballmer pissed away Microsoft's future in mobile devices and overall dominance of Enterprise and Government; and I will stand in line to buy it.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    eric38 wrote: »
    Does anyone know have an idea of what the repatriation tax rate is? Would the cash be taxed as income just as if it was earned in the US? Is there a snowball's chance in hell that the Fed Gov't would create a repatriation tax holiday in the foreseeable future? What is Apple ultimately going to do with the $120b that sits overseas? Is there a way they can spend that $? Acquisitions? It would be nice if APple Insider would editorialize this aspect of Apple's business. Thanks.

Apple has already been taxed once by the various governments on their earnings. They would be taxed on the post-tax income by the US Gov. Without any expenses to offset the income, the owed tax would be high. The US government would benefit by a tax holiday because that money could stimulate the US economy greatly - especially if that were a stipulation of the holiday.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I agree. I'm particularly happy to see the Enterprise number so high because it also means Microsoft has been frozen out of the market where it once enjoyed total dominance. They came late to the party with so-so products and couldn't muscle themselves back in and dominate. Another market Microsoft lost out on is the U.S. government purchases for phones and tablets. The GSA went through the whole process from RFQ to award while Microsoft sat out the process. That was a three-year contract with a three-year optional extension. Apple was the only company who's phone and table was accepted.

Someday someone will write a book on how Steve Ballmer pissed away Microsoft's future in mobile devices and overall dominance of Enterprise and Government; and I will stand in line to buy it.

Ballmer ran Microsoft with WAY too much arrogance just sitting on the entrenched monopoly and the thought that people actually will stand in line to buy any piece of hardware with the name Microsoft on it.  What he doesn't realize or didn't was that most Windows users are forced through their companies to use Microsoft Windows computers and Office.  But when a company opens up the platform choice to the employee REALITY is that a fairly large percentage of employees want Apple or Android.  This is now proven fact. I don't know of a single company that has opened up the doors for the employees to choose the platform where they ONLY wanted Microsoft.  This mind set is opening up a lot of new doors for Apple, Android as well.  The problem Apple faces in the Enterprise market is that the IT Administration software that they use to manage their PCs (I think it's a Microsoft product, which shouldn't be a surprise) only supports PCs and not both PCs and Macs.  This is the kind of sleazy things Microosft does.  They open the door for Apple with things like Exchange, Office, but that door doesn't open wide enough to allow more Enterprise customers for switching or REALLY opening the door for Apple.  Ballmer blew it with Zune, Surface, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Phones that I think they might actually have to shut down Nokia and maybe have to sell it off, because they aren't getting the traction they really need to be profitable.  Oops.

• Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Ballmer ran Microsoft with WAY too much arrogance just sitting on the entrenched monopoly and the thought that people actually will stand in line to buy any piece of hardware with the name Microsoft on it.  What he doesn't realize or didn't was that most Windows users are forced through their companies to use Microsoft Windows computers and Office.  But when a company opens up the platform choice to the employee REALITY is that a fairly large percentage of employees want Apple or Android.  This is now proven fact. I don't know of a single company that has opened up the doors for the employees to choose the platform where they ONLY wanted Microsoft.  This mind set is opening up a lot of new doors for Apple, Android as well.  The problem Apple faces in the Enterprise market is that the IT Administration software that they use to manage their PCs (I think it's a Microsoft product, which shouldn't be a surprise) only supports PCs and not both PCs and Macs.  This is the kind of sleazy things Microosft does.  They open the door for Apple with things like Exchange, Office, but that door doesn't open wide enough to allow more Enterprise customers for switching or REALLY opening the door for Apple.  Ballmer blew it with Zune, Surface, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Phones that I think they might actually have to shut down Nokia and maybe have to sell it off, because they aren't getting the traction they really need to be profitable.  Oops.

Hmm..."arrogance" is a good way to describe Uncle Fester, AKA Steve Ballmer. I was present when a developer questioned him about Microsoft's love of keyboards as the prime method of communicating with computers. This was after the iPhone came out but before the iPad. Fester responded, "We use keyboards because our customers want keyboards." BOOM, end of subject!

I'm sure I was not the only person who thought to themselves, "This guy isn't even curious why someone might ask such a question. The topic was poison in his mind." So, it wasn't any surprise then the Surface appeared a few years later with the keyboard front and center and demanding the need for a desk top. It was also laden with lots of ports as if tying a computer down with cables was essential to getting work done. By the time you got the Surface running you needed a power source... so add another cable. And THIS, my friend was Uncle Fester's vision of portability.

The product has gotten better over time, but Uncle Fester's greasy paw prints are still all over it.

• Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I figured that was the case but I've always seen dividends are being per share so I wasn't 100% sure.

Even Apple would start running out of cash if they put the dividend up 600% in one year!