Future Apple devices may boast environmental sensor suite with built-in thermometer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
A pair of documents unearthed on Thursday detail Apple's ambitions to make the iPhone -- or rumored iWatch -- a one-stop-shop for gathering all kinds of data, including information about a user's surrounding environment.

iWatch
iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton

In two patent applications published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Apple describes environmental sensor suites that can be embedded into portable electronics like an iPhone, iPad and "wrist-watch" devices. With the so-called "iWatch" rumored to be on the horizon, Apple could conceivably incorporate one or more of the following inventions into the smartwatch to gather humidity, pressure and temperature data.

Apple's "Electronic devices with environmental sensors" filing covers a component that sports multiple sensors. Attached to an electrical interface like a flexible printed circuit, the environmental sensor could include separate sensors for temperature, pressure, humidity and sound.

Source: USPTO

The printed circuit is mounted within a device chassis in such a way that the component is at least partially enclosed save for an opening that allows sound, air and other environmental materials to interact with system sensors.

While somewhat open to the elements, the sensor package is protected from damage through use of an integrated rigid support structure. As noted in the filing, adding these extra sensing packages to a mobile device would normally require more ports, which could lead to the collection of unwanted debris or harmful material. To solve this problem, Apple suggests the sensor array include a microphone or speaker so that it can be installed into an existing audio port.

As for data, the information gathered by the proposed sensor package can be processed by the device's on-board CPU and displayed onscreen for user consumption.

In a second patent filing entitled "Electronic devices with temperature sensors," Apple describes a separate type of sensor that can be incorporated into a device button.

The invention calls for a thermal sensor to be mounted operatively onto a button component that moves within a device's chassis. For example, the current iPhone 5s volume control actuator would be a good candidate for installation. Switches, slides and other operable parts are also mentioned as possible placement locations.

Apple notes that a thermally conductive metal or other material can be used in the fabrication of said button, which then transfers temperature data to the sensor mounted beneath the surface.

The system can measure any material that comes into contact with the button, including air and a user's finger. The data can be used to inform the device when it's too hot or too cold to operate or, more interestingly, display the temperature of a user's skin onscreen. The latter application could be configured to serve as a wrist-worn health monitor's thermometer.

Apple's sensor package patent applications were first filed for in 2012. Henry H. Yang and Matthew E. Last are credited as inventors of the thermal button property, while the two are joined by Romain A. Teil on the environmental sensor filing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Well, that is actually what I am waiting for since some time! Good to hear. But it sounds non-trivial. Taking the thermometer. You want to make sure it doesn't measure your body temperature. Otherwise this is just great. Simply consider what kind of crowd sourced data you get from this. Netatmo made a very good start into this with its home appliances.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Lets make a Start Trek tricorder.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    People that are likely addicted to checking their phones every 30 seconds to see if they are missing something, a text, email, Facebook update, whatever.... Will most likely carry that obsession over to the rumored "iWatch" device by checking the pulse rate, how many steps and calories they have burnt so far and any other non-critical nonsense this device serves up. Why so cranky? Look how a generation has lost the ability to live without an electronic device in hand at all times. Almost no moment of the average day is used for reflection and deep thought. Where will this generations great thinkers come from when the distraction of listening to music, texting, web surfing, taking pictures of your breakfast, lunch and dinner completely occupy your day?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    kerryb wrote: »
    People that are likely addicted to checking their phones every 30 seconds to see if they are missing something, a text, email, Facebook update, whatever.... Will most likely carry that obsession over to the rumored "iWatch" device by checking the pulse rate, how many steps and calories they have burnt so far and any other non-critical nonsense this device serves up. Why so cranky? Look how a generation has lost the ability to live without an electronic device in hand at all times. Almost no moment of the average day is used for reflection and deep thought. Where will this generations great thinkers come from when the distraction of listening to music, texting, web surfing, taking pictures of your breakfast, lunch and dinner completely occupy your day?

Your last sentence is a leap. The same could be said about Walkmans in the 80s or transistor radios in the 70s or TVs in the 60s or movies in the 50s. Each generation has new technology that comes in the form of entertainment. I can't predict the future so who knows what will happen but so far I've seen no evidence that smartphones will make us dumber.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Where this will lead? Well, sit back and enjoy the show.

• Reply 6 of 25
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    Combine that with the Prime Sense sensors and you have great hardware that's only limited to the imagination of developers! As a programmer myself, I've imagined a day when apps could condition to a user's environment.
  • Reply 7 of 25

These many sesnsors on a device that you carry - will bring you OBSESSIVE COMPULSION DISORDER.

You keep checking the body temperature. You keep checking the heart beat.

NOT GOOD HONEY.

• Reply 8 of 25
    chandra69 wrote: »
    These many sesnsors on a device that you carry - will bring you OBSESSIVE COMPULSION DISORDER.
    NOT GOOD HONEY.

Why do these needs need to be checked to be useful? Why can't biometrics be monitoring your body constantly or periodically to compile data that can then be analyzed after extended use to see positive and negative patterns? I'd think this sort of information would be in value to medical professionals as you can never trust the patient to tell you accurate information.

PS: OCD isn't created by technology. It can manifest with technology but it's not the cause of, and if technology didn't exist it would manifest itself in other ways.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Let's add these to the list of things that are not worthy of a patent. What is novel about either of these? Mobile devices (not just smart devices) capable of measuring these things have existed for years. Instruments that measure these things have been taken to every corner of the Earth and into space. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

NOT GOOD HONEY.

I'd love to have a temperature sensor when I'm biking or hiking because it's sometimes difficult to plan what clothes to wear in different weather and knowing the temperature during my current ride or hike lets me plan better for the next one. I currently carry an analog thermometer on my keychain, but it's so small I have to stop and squint at it to read it. A temperature display integrated into one of the fitness apps I'm already using would be a nice improvement for those specific activities.

However, saying that this will lead to obsessive checking of the temperature throughout the day is like saying that getting a new toaster will lead to compulsively making toast all day long.

• Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

NOT GOOD HONEY.

Why do these needs need to be checked to be useful? Why can't biometrics be monitoring your body constantly or periodically to compile data that can then be analyzed after extended use to see positive and negative patterns? I'd think this sort of information would be in value to medical professionals as you can never trust the patient to tell you accurate information.

PS: OCD isn't created by technology. It can manifest with technology but it's not the cause of, and if technology didn't exist it would manifest itself in other ways.

I am not saying it is not useful. It is useful. But OCD is a by-product of using these health trackers.  When they are available in your plam, you tend to check.  Its like nothing new in Facebook feed, but dont we check it every now and then?   

OCD might get manifested in other ways. Yes.  But these health trackers will become one of the ways. When ti comes through these beautiful Apple products - the probability is more. 

• Reply 12 of 25
    chandra69 wrote: »
    But OCD is a by-product of using these health trackers.

I don't think that's correct. I think it's completely backwards. Certain actions we make exterior to us can be evidence of OCD in an individual but OCD is not a result of technology, useful or not. It's like doors at fault for Sheldon, from The Big Bang Theory, needing to knock 3 times and say someones name.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    @solipsismx 04/24/2014 10:09 AM

I am old enough to remember the introduction of the Walkman which never had the popularity or the distraction power of today's mobile devices. You listened to music on a Walkman, your only interaction was to press stop and play. TV is and always has been a passive distraction and until recently people didn't watch TV while walking down the street, eating in a good restaurant or behind the wheel of a car. Mobile devices which promise us a way to connect to others only has the opposite affect. There is not social moment today that is not interrupted by someone answering a call, text or an impromptu photo session. I've seen people in mid conversation turn away to text something on their phones. As for my comment about great thinkers. Would Newton have had his revelation about gravity if he was distracted updating his Facebook status? Would the kind of concentration needed to create the theory of relativity come from Einstein tweeting his friends? To create something, quiet and deep thought is absolutely necessary despite Apple's ads suggesting pointing your phone at something and you are a genius.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

I'd love to have a temperature sensor when I'm biking or hiking because it's sometimes difficult to plan what clothes to wear in different weather and knowing the temperature during my current ride or hike lets me plan better for the next one. I currently carry an analog thermometer on my keychain, but it's so small I have to stop and squint at it to read it. A temperature display integrated into one of the fitness apps I'm already using would be a nice improvement for those specific activities.

However, saying that this will lead to obsessive checking of the temperature throughout the day is like saying that getting a new toaster will lead to compulsively making toast all day long.

Come on!  This is not good comparision brother! Come on! That is not what I meant.

• Reply 15 of 25
    @solipsismx 04/24/2014 10:09 AM

I am old enough to remember the introduction of the Walkman which never had the popularity or the distraction power of today's mobile devices. You listened to music on a Walkman, your only interaction was to press stop and play. TV is and always has been a passive distraction and until recently people didn't watch TV while walking down the street, eating in a good restaurant or behind the wheel of a car. Mobile devices which promise us a way to connect to others only has the opposite affect. There is not social moment today that is not interrupted by someone answering a call, text or an impromptu photo session. I've seen people in mid conversation turn away to text something on their phones. As for my comment about great thinkers. Would Newton have had his revelation about gravity if he was distracted updating his Facebook status? Would the kind of concentration needed to create the theory of relativity come from Einstein tweeting his friends? To create something, quiet and deep thought is absolutely necessary despite Apple's ads suggesting pointing your phone at something and you are a genius.

That has to do with focus, not with technology generating CDO* in society. There is definitely more "noise" in society than every better but it's not OCD. This is something that happens with each generation and yet we still people making breakthroughs in science. We learn to adapt and most of find our passions; which can be an obsession in and of itself but one that is typically seen as passive. I like to use Fraunhofer as example of an unhealthy obsession that can lead lead to massive ethnological breakthroughs later on. I think it comes down to teaching our children how to manage their time properly which means the onus fails on the parental units, not a convenient technology.

* CDO** is like OCD except the letters are in the proper, alphabetical order¡
    ** That is not the original author.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

The great thinkers are always going to be present. They're predisposed against the kind of trivia you're worried about causing their extinction.

As for complaining about people not being able to live without an electronic device in their hands... My iPhone is an assistive technology device. Before it, I used a Tapwave Zodiac, before that, a Palm Pilot Professional. Before that, I had difficulty scheduling myself and remembering timed events. Paper notes didn't do crap (I bought my first PDA from my employer, a company that manufactures day planner books and binders, so it's kind of funny). Before the iPhone's GPS navigation assistance, I had great anxiety over travel and now I don't. These devices have improved the quality of my life. They have balanced out my deficits, not created dependency.

There are many like me. I just spoke to a quite notable one at a party last weekend; he was talking about his ADHD distractibility (not my particular problem) and his face lit up when I mentioned that a Palm Pilot made me functional in the professional employment world, since his experience was the same.

The people you're complaining about are already predisposed to trivia and would find it anywhere it's accessible, tech gadgets or not. Frankly, the ability to look up information to answer most any question, casual or important, trains people to seek info, rather than make assumptions or stay unknowing. I think that's a good thing.

There are many problems with modern human society that I think are making us into unhealthy nutcases, but these devices aren't part of that problem.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't think that's correct. I think it's completely backwards. Certain actions we make exterior to us can be evidence of OCD in an individual but OCD is not a result of technology, useful or not. It's like doors at fault for Sheldon, from The Big Bang Theory, needing to knock 3 times and say someones name.

Yeah the guy has it all wrong. Availability of devices has nothing to do with it any more than availability of thresholds cause people to need to count to 50 before crossing one.

The likely causes of OCD are varied: trauma, constant stress, a feeling of lack of control over life, etc. A person may be predisposed to it, too (not that everyone who is predisposed will become OCD, just that some are susceptible when others aren't).

Maybe this guy that's terrified of tech devices and blaming them for causing undesirable traits needs to turn his analysis inward...
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Let's add these to the list of things that are not worthy of a patent. What is novel about either of these? Mobile devices (not just smart devices) capable of measuring these things have existed for years. Instruments that measure these things have been taken to every corner of the Earth and into space. Am I missing something?

You just keep using that anal thermometer. The rest of us are moving on...
  • Reply 19 of 25
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member

Yes, the fact that these sensors could be available for programming is what's new. For example, an app may use the thermometer and have SIRI remind you to put a jacket on if it's a certain temperature. The air pressure sensor could be used to help calculate your exact elevation. For example, a GPS app would be able to tell you if you're on the correct floor and to go up or down if you're not. Combine that with iBeacon and an app could even direct you to an elevator and tell you what button to press. In the future, there could be smart elevators and your phone may simply send the elevator a signal to tell it what floor to take you to.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

Yes, the fact that these sensors could be available for programming is what's new. For example, an app may use the thermometer and have SIRI remind you to put a jacket on if it's a certain temperature. The air pressure sensor could be used to help calculate your exact elevation. For example, a GPS app would be able to tell you if you're on the correct floor and to go up or down if you're not. Combine that with iBeacon and an app could even direct you to an elevator and tell you what button to press. In the future, there could be smart elevators and your phone may simply send the elevator a signal to tell it what floor to take you to.

I need to know what the temperature may be BEFORE I go outside and need to be told to put my jacket on. That's the value of a weather app. If my phone needs to tell me after I go outside to put on my jacket, then I'm too dumb to have bought an iPhone to begin with.