Tim Cook offering lunch date at Apple HQ for charity

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Apple fans, detractors, and investors alike now have a chance to sit down with CEO Tim Cook one-on-one, as the executive is auctioning off a lunch date at Apple headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., to benefit charity.

Cook
Apple CEO Tim Cook with fellow yearbook staff for the class of 1978 . | Source: AL.com

The lunch date, presumably at Apple's famous Caffe Macs in the Infinite Loop campus, is being offered through charity auction site CharityBuzz. At press time, one confirmed bid of $10,000 had come in, though the site estimates the meal's value at $100,000.

According to the auction listing, the winning bidder can bring one guest, though both will need to undergo security screening. Cook has carved out one hour for the event, and scheduling could take up to a year based on his availability.

Additionally, travel and lodging expenses are not included, so the winning bidder will need to make their own way to Cupertino.

This is the second time Cook has offered himself up for a good cause on CharityBuzz. Last May, a one-hour coffee meeting with the Apple chief fetched $610,000 to benefit the RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights.

Hungry bidders have until May 13 at 2 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time to submit their bids.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27

This human being Tim is being human. 

• Reply 2 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Analysts expect to downgrade AAPL if the bid for Tim Cook's lunch shows a downtrend from last year. /s
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I think Scott Forstall should bid. :) hehe.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    For that amount of money it should be at a top restaurant not Caffe Macs.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I dunno. The Mac Cafe would be a pretty bodacious place to hang with my crew, compadre.

• Reply 6 of 27
    Cafe food? For $100K? It's had better come with free refills.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I dunno. The Mac Cafe would be a pretty bodacious place to hang with my crew, compadre.

Original URL for these pics please?

• Reply 8 of 27

Bromwich has demanded he sit in on this meeting too.

• Reply 9 of 27
    Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Original URL for these pics please?

Here’s where I found them as large as I did.

• Reply 10 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The fine print: No Google or Samsung execs.

I'm not sure how this is suppose to pump up the stock price.

Cook should be fired. As a shareholder, I'm not paying him to eat.

The bid growth should be 30% yoy.

More innovating, less eating.

Steve Jobs would never eat lunch.

Rumored lunch to intro the iSnack.

When's the last time Cafe Mac released something game-changing?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Steve Jobs would never eat lunch.

That one’s not false, at least for his last few years.

• Reply 12 of 27
    imagladryimagladry Posts: 105member
    You think someone who pays $100,000 for lunch with Tim will be able to afford flight and lodging?? :^)
  • Reply 13 of 27
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    ascii wrote: »

I use to work at Apple HQ and believe me Cafe Mac is pretty top notch.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    mactmact Posts: 26member

So, a few people with a LOT of money get to have lunch with him. How about for every one who pays there is a seat for someone drawn on a lottery system, who might offer a different insight.

• Reply 15 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At press time, one confirmed bid of $10,000 had come in, though the site estimates the meal's value at $100,000...

That's one helluva menu price!  Maybe they have an ala carte option?  I wonder how much Tim Cook's value is?

• Reply 16 of 27
    Bromwich has demanded he sit in on this meeting too.

The judge will back that up.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    ascii wrote: »
    If you think this lunch is about food, I suggest you're missing the point. Whoever wants tight schmooze time with a CEO doesn't give a xxxx about the menu, ordering, or special of the day. Last year somebody paid $10,000 USD per minute to have coffee with him and I doubt they even glanced at their coffee options.
    I love this part of the release:
    "Cook has carved out one hour for the event, and scheduling could take up to a year based on his availability."
    Now that's a hell of a schedule.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Does that include a tour of Jony Ive's workshop?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Another chance for Carl Icahn to waste $500,000 of his investor's money so he can brag about it on Twitter cause he needs that to feel important despite Tim Cook not giving a crap about anything he has to say!
  • Reply 20 of 27

Is waiting in line in the cafeteria to order and get your food included in the hour?

On a serious note, very nice thing of Cook to do.   He's going to raise a lot of money for charity by doing this.