Apple's iOS 7.1.1 tweaks shown to extend iPhone battery life

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
The latest version of Apple's mobile operating system seems to have brought with it enhancements designed to ease strain on the iPhone's battery, as some users are reporting noticeable increases in uptime with iOS 7.1.1.

Battery

iOS 7.1 brought a significant dip in battery life, according to journalist Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, who has been tracking power consumption on his iPhone 5 since the handset's release. That trend has been reversed with iOS 7.1.1, he noted for ZDNet, with battery life returning to levels seen in iOS 6.

Specifically, Kingsley-Hughes's battery meter now comes in approximately 16 percentage points higher after a six-hour test. Where his iPhone dropped to about 61 percent under iOS 7.1, the same workload nets around 76 percent with iOS 7.1.1.

Kingsley-Hughes says his data is averaged over "many six-hour runs." He measures drops only from a full charge in order to eliminate the possibility of a non-linear discharge curve.

Apple has been seen exploring numerous ways to improve the battery life of its devices in the past, including changes to the hardware itself that would lower power consumption. One notable invention, first discovered by AppleInsider, would monitor the device's charge and discharge cycles and use that information to alter various parameters -- such as screen brightness or the CPU clock speed -- to conserve power based on what it predicts the user will need.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    I have no problem with overall battery life. The problem I have every once in a while is a complete shutdown for no reason when my percentage is showing between 15 & 20%. Sometimes I can power on again and other times I get nothing but the battery image showing a sliver of red along with the lightning connector plug. All other times I can run down to 1% and she still runs fine. iPhone 5 running 7.1.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I have no problem with overall battery life. The problem I have every once in a while is a complete shutdown for no reason when my percentage is showing between 15 & 20%. Sometimes I can power on again and other times I get nothing but the battery image showing a sliver of red along with the lightning connector plug. All other times I can run down to 1% and she still runs fine. iPhone 5 running 7.1.

I have exactly the same problem. Very odd and annoying.

• Reply 3 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I have no problem with overall battery life.

Yes, but lots of people do. By most accounts 7 has been more eager to drain your battery than 6. Here's to hoping 8 has so clever battery life enhancements, even if simply optimisations.

Too bad the iPhone 6 is going to be so, so, thin. It's going look cool being so thin, but they could enhance battery life more if they weren't so obsessed with being the thinnest smartphone out there. Just as the iMac is now the thinnest AIO out there, but the speakers sound much worse than the previous gen, thanks to the funnelled-audio sounds. I literally switched to the MacBook Air from 9 years of owning iMacs because of this issue, as the reason I bought the iMac is I was a true AIO desktop guy. Even adding on speakers to it ruins he whole point of the iMac IMO, and I really think it was a bad tradeoff. True form over function in the iMac case.

• Reply 4 of 35
    roggenroggen Posts: 2member

Has anyone seen an increase in battery life for their iPhone 4S?  I'm hoping so as my 4S  was drawing down at an incredible rate after installing iOS7.1

• Reply 5 of 35
    tp398tp398 Posts: 2member
    Frustratingly my 5S and my wife's 5 have both seen a decrease in battery life since upgrading to 7.1.1. We often get the 20% warning mid-afternoon where normally it would come around early evening!
  • Reply 6 of 35
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    @dickprinter

same here. it was described as a bug with a patch soon.

I still need time to know if it happens again with 7.1.1
  • Reply 7 of 35
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tp398 View Post

Frustratingly my 5S and my wife's 5 have both seen a decrease in battery life since upgrading to 7.1.1. We often get the 20% warning mid-afternoon where normally it would come around early evening!

7.1.1 was released Tuesday so just how many "afternoons" are you talking about here? One? Two?

FWIW: My current numbers at 3:39; 83%, 1 hour 8 minutes of usage, 5 hours, 50 minutes of standby starting at fully charged and plugged. On a 5s running 7.1.1 with all the radios enabled, LTE, cellular data, WiFi, Bluetooth, location services.

• Reply 8 of 35
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Your battery might be shot. Apple stores will diagnose it for you. My dad's iPhone 5 had this issue.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

I had this same problem with my iPhone 5 when going from iOS 6 to 7. Eventually AppleCare replaced the phone after showing the problem still after a complete restore as a new phone. My replacement phone has no battery problems.

• Reply 10 of 35
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Just as the iMac is now the thinnest AIO out there, but the speakers sound much worse than the previous gen, thanks to the funnelled-audio sounds. I literally switched to the MacBook Air from 9 years of owning iMacs because of this issue, as the reason I bought the iMac is I was a true AIO desktop guy. Even adding on speakers to it ruins he whole point of the iMac IMO, and I really think it was a bad tradeoff. True form over function in the iMac case.

I find the speakers on my 27" iMac is surprisingly good. But really, the requirement (for me) is just that it is usable. I don't great audio from any computer, laptop, phone or tablet. If you need good audio you need external spacers and it was always thus. I bought my kids bluetooth spacers for their phones / iPads but they NEVER use them. They can be screwed with the charging and the setup etc. I think they have ridiculously low standards but they are happy. So my ever so slightly higher standards wasted me a couple of hundred bucks. :no:

• Reply 11 of 35
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

I had this problem after I upgraded to iOS 7, and my phone was replaced under warranty. The Genius said my battery was failing.

• Reply 12 of 35

I've had battery crashes with previous laptop batteries back when they were removable. Display a reasonable remaining level and then, splat. Something in the controlling electronics goes bad as I understood the tech: if under warranty I'd get it looked at rather than put up with the uncertainty.

• Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

I have an odd battery problem as well. The total usage time down to 20% seems to take the same amount of time as before but if I turn it off with around ~55% left the battery will show ~25% when I turn it back on and not move for an hour or so and if I plug it in the percentage will jump into the 40's

• Reply 14 of 35
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member
    I dont see the battery drain issue as much, what I have noticed though with 7.1.1 is the phone becomes hotter performing the same operations as 7.1.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    macapfel wrote: »
    I have exactly the same problem. Very odd and annoying.
    oomu wrote: »
    @dickprinter

same here. it was described as a bug with a patch soon.

I still need time to know if it happens again with 7.1.1

I just want to reinforce what [@]Sporlo[/@], [@]jabohn[/@], and [@]Mazda 3s[/@] stated. Get your iPhone checked out and push for a replacement or battery change. This is not normal. This is not an iOS bug.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 699member
    7.1 was far worse on battery life on my iPhone4.
    Stop laughing.
    Much better with 7.1.1
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

7.1 was far worse on battery life on my iPhone4.

Stop laughing.

Much better with 7.1.1

Hey no laughing here; that was and still is a classic, quite beautiful design. I don't regret putting a case on my 5s (I resent the added weight but not the esthetics) and I always did when I slipped my 4s into one.

• Reply 18 of 35
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

I have an odd battery problem as well. The total usage time down to 20% seems to take the same amount of time as before but if I turn it off with around ~55% left the battery will show ~25% when I turn it back on and not move for an hour or so and if I plug it in the percentage will jump into the 40's

I've had that problem as well, which I thought was really bizarre. I plan on installing this update and see if that helps, otherwise I'm going to follow Solip's and a few other's suggestion and see a Genius. The Apple Store I go to gives excellent support and never an argument about anything, even though I am well out of warranty. I think the Geniuses have been given the directive to not even question a hardware issue except in the instance of 3rd party screen replacement or water/moisture damage. Samsung, et al. turning up the (competition) heat, I'm sure, is the motivator there.

• Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tp398 View Post

After these updates, I always find my bluetooth turned back on.  Same applies for iPads as well.  I find turning it off helps.

• Reply 20 of 35
    I know it is a pain, but I think you guys should do a clean install, and set them up as new devices.