Google exec & social networking chief Vic Gundotra leaves company

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

I really hope Vic does not join Apple now. Please, go to MSFT.

• Reply 22 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    So theft was the answer.

This sounds like the "tech Robin Hood" philosophy that Google spouts. Like pushing to make it legal to seize key Apple-held mobile patents by declaring them "equivalent to" SEP.

As far as I know Google didn't mention Apple. AI was the one inserting them in the discussion surmising their suggestion could apply to something like touch event patents owned by Apple. There were others that thought Google was looking more at Microsoft with patents like the ones on FAT and Web Browser Image Loading. That made more sense really as it's Microsoft going after Android licensees with "secret patents" that supposedly speak to long-time basic computer tech.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    "If Google did not act, we faced a Draconian future where one man, one company, one device, one carrier would be our only choice," Gundotra said in 2010. "That's a future we don't want."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So theft was the answer.

This sounds like the "tech Robin Hood" philosophy that Google spouts. Like pushing to make it legal to seize key Apple-held mobile patents by declaring them "equivalent to" SEP.

Yeah, what a hilarious statement. Google seems completely ok though that Samsung is utterly dominating the Android world, in which its the only company making any profit, sucking the life out of everyone else. But hey, its running Android, so that makes it ok. 

• Reply 24 of 49
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yeah, what a hilarious statement. Google seems completely ok though that Samsung is utterly dominating the Android world, in which its the only company making any profit, sucking the life out of everyone else. But hey, its running Android, so that makes it ok. 

I think there's plenty of evidence that Google finds Samsung's dominance unnerving and not what they envisioned.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Well, Google+ has fallen from the sky like a sack of s*** and hasn't made any ground on FaceBook since its release, despite FaceBook being terrible. When someone sees this guy, look for the big boot print on his ass.

As Steve Jobs said, don't copy, do it differently.

Google+ was a too-late-copy of FaceBook that was badly managed.

I recommend reading http://arstechnica.com/business/2011/06/inside-google-how-the-search-giant-plans-to-go-social/ - it's an incredibly interesting insight into Google's motivation with G+. For Vic Gundotra, social integration was a 'bet-the-company' move, and despite the failure of G+ as a social network, in other ways Emerald Sea (the codename for the G+ project) is a huge success.

Emerald Sea was (and still is) about more than just making a 'Google Facebook' - it's about tying all their products together into a single cohesive whole. In the past few years, we've seen the introduction of a much more cohesive design across Google, unified logins, use of data from one product to power another (Google Now and package tracking is a good example) and more, and a lot of that can be traced back to Gundotra's work. He's done a hell of a lot for Google, and it's very surprising to see him go.

• Reply 26 of 49
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google Chief Executive Larry Page

"You cut your teeth on our mobile apps and developer relations, turning our disparate efforts into something great," Page wrote. "When I first used turn-by-turn navigation, it blew me away.

This copy of Nokia's N95 software also blew Apple away, for good and prompted Google to use a killswitch to remove it from European users who enabled it before big brother Google allowed it.

• Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:

Well, Google+ has fallen from the sky like a sack of s*** and hasn't made any ground on FaceBook since its release, despite FaceBook being terrible. When someone sees this guy, look for the big boot print on his ass.

I thought it was a copy of Ping.

• Reply 28 of 49
    bayted wrote: »
    Google is not a success story. Not a total failure at best.

Yeah, sometimes I forget they're terrific at web searches.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It only remains at all because of the shoehorning into YouTube. Shows how much the average person actually cares to change when confronted with what’s wrong.

Insert political commentary here.

One of the reasons I deleted my gmail account after 10 years, that and it stopped working very well after they dumped Activsync.

They were alright when they came out of Stanford in the nineties, when I started introducing and promoting Google search to others.

• Reply 30 of 49
    gatorguy wrote: »
    As far as I know Google didn't mention Apple. AI was the one inserting them in the discussion surmising their suggestion could apply to something like touch event patents owned by Apple.

Not AI. And you're missing the point--it's still an attempt to separate patents from their owners. Apple counsel Bruce Sewell responded to Google's (ahem) "suggestion" (your softball words) in an open letter, which is quoted in the article that I linked. In any case, AI was just regurgitating what John P wrote for AllThingsD, so it was not AI who inserted them into the discussion.

Do you really believe that if Google omitted specifically mentioning Apple or its patents that Apple would be magically exempted from this "patent seizure" (my term for it)?
  • Reply 32 of 49
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterbob View Post

Vic is an great guy, I've met him a few times at Google io the guy is passionate about everything he does and will go out of his way to meet and talk to you. Big lost, can't wait to see what he does next.

The guy was a complete fucking idiot, who said the stupidest things.  I wouldn't be surprised if they showed him the door.

• Reply 33 of 49
    darklite wrote: »
    evilution wrote: »

I recommend reading http://arstechnica.com/business/2011/06/inside-google-how-the-search-giant-plans-to-go-social/ - it's an incredibly interesting insight into Google's motivation with G+. For Vic Gundotra, social integration was a 'bet-the-company' move, and despite the failure of G+ as a social network, in other ways Emerald Sea (the codename for the G+ project) is a huge success.

Emerald Sea was (and still is) about more than just making a 'Google Facebook' - it's about tying all their products together into a single cohesive whole. In the past few years, we've seen the introduction of a much more cohesive design across Google, unified logins, use of data from one product to power another (Google Now and package tracking is a good example) and more, and a lot of that can be traced back to Gundotra's work. He's done a hell of a lot for Google, and it's very surprising to see him go.

Hey look! We have someone from Google PR signed up on AI!
  • Reply 34 of 49
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Exactly and it started with a captive audience of (at least) 10s of millions of gmail users.  Google+ is almost a big a flop as Ping (was that the name of Apple's music thing?).  

• Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

The guy was a complete fucking idiot, who said the stupidest things.  I wouldn't be surprised if they showed him the door.

If that were the case, Vic should have fit right into the C suites...

• Reply 36 of 49

Oh well, I wonder who is going to anchor Google I/O now...

He probably missed a key delivery for this year's I/O and pissed off the board.

Perhaps he can join Jugo Barra at Xiaomi or he could work for Samsung.

But then again he is a multi millionaire so he could day-trade. :)

Time will tell.

• Reply 37 of 49
    "It was at Google I/O in 2010 that Gundotra and Google came out swinging against rival Apple, comparing the iPhone maker to 'Big Brother.'"

Incredibly brash, since there is no company on the planet more akin to Big Brother than Google.

Google is always watching.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    redhotfuzz wrote: »
    "It was at Google I/O in 2010 that Gundotra and Google came out swinging against rival Apple, comparing the iPhone maker to 'Big Brother.'"

Incredibly brash, since there is no company on the planet more akin to Big Brother than Google.

Google is always watching.

LOL. True.

It would be like if the nazis compared their enemies to nazis, and failed to see the irony in that.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    baytedbayted Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Come on! That isn't fair. By all measures Google is a major success story. You have to be an excessively biased Yahoo or have Binged your head really hard not to acknowledge even one of Google's achievements.

I think the new reply to that cliché comment should be: Funny, I don't even remember registering on @ssholes on Apple Insider. image

Google should be Google + in my original comment.

In fact, Google has annoyed many users (such as YouTube users) by requiring them to sign up for Google +. I think part of the reason he get fired is there are so many YouTube users' complaints.

• Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL. True.

It would be like if the nazis compared their enemies to nazis, and failed to see the irony in that.

Hey, it's working.  They have the Fandroids fooled.  And the media.  And investors.

Google loves you!