Apple's Cook touts Microsoft Office for iPad, says it could have come sooner

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingsoc View Post

It's definitely a good thing that Office is on iPad - as great as iWork is, it doesn't have even the slightest foothold in the enterprise market, and it won't anytime soon.

Plus, honestly, Office 365 is amazing. I love it so much that I put Windows 8 virtualisation on my iMac just so that I can run it there in its full glory. From my perspective it's the best product Microsoft has made for a long time. A perfect fit for Apple hardware (so, MS, please release a native version of Office 365 for OS X as soon as you can...it would be an ideal fit for OS X as well...)

I like Office 365 as well but frankly Office 365 is nothing more than a rebadged Office Professional. When you download the Windows version you get Office Pro rebadged and when you download it on the Mac you get Office 2011.

The subscription services is actually pretty good value for money for what you get but I don't use Office because I have no need of 90% of its functionality and iWork does what I need to do so much cheaper.

• Reply 22 of 28
    ingsoc wrote: »

It's definitely a good thing that Office is on iPad - as great as iWork is, it doesn't have even the slightest foothold in the enterprise market, and it won't anytime soon.

Plus, honestly, Office 365 is amazing. I love it so much that I put Windows 8 virtualisation on my iMac just so that I can run it there in its full glory. From my perspective it's the best product Microsoft has made for a long time. A perfect fit for Apple hardware (so, MS, please release a native version of Office 365 for OS X as soon as you can...it would be an ideal fit for OS X as well...)
    I like Office 365 as well but frankly Office 365 is nothing more than a rebadged Office Professional. When you download the Windows version you get Office Pro rebadged and when you download it on the Mac you get Office 2011.

The subscription services is actually pretty good value for money for what you get but I don't use Office because I have no need of 90% of its functionality and iWork does what I need to do so much cheaper.

Last good version of office was v.2003. That ribbon strangled it.

When I run office 2003 excel in a windows 8.1 VM, it launches in under a second.

I have all the plugins etc to save files compatible with the latest versions.

Never liked office on the Mac - always seemed like an (intentional) kludge.

That being said, I remember Microsoft Multiplan. Running on a Mac 128k - was amazing tech!
  • Reply 23 of 28
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

iWork does what I need to do so much cheaper [than MS Office].

cheaper? what an understatement! 

• Reply 24 of 28
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

I'm not sure what you mean exactly - I understand the part about Mac (yes, you get Office 2011) but I am not sure what you mean about Office Professional (presumably you mean, Office 365's pre-cloud services name?)

Either way I'm not referring to rebadging; I'm referring to the actual product and how good it is, especially versus older versions as well as the competition. It's a genuinely good suite of software.

• Reply 25 of 28
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    I meant he can push iWork to Enterprise.  But nothing can beat Excel. But still...

He can push pen and paper just the same, but it will not work.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    snova wrote: »
    3G cellular for medical use?

Yes. At the patient's home or office we use our EHR app to create patient chart, send eRx, view labs, share photos (secure app) w rest of medical team, issue doctors orders, take payment and more. An LTE connection is very snappy since apps run native on both iPhone and IPad -- but a 3G service is still usable.

Frankly the only thing that is tough is writing the doctor's orders in the field. Time for MS to open up beyond their own cloud. The point is that one of the two office suites needs to support something like Box where I can get a HIPPA-compliant service agreement (or Dropbox, or...)

Edit: did a quick count. 16x iPhones,
    6x iPads, 5x MB Pro or Airs, and 2x iMac
  • Reply 27 of 28
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    appex wrote: »
    The problem with all this stuff is that it is not fully compatible con Mac. That is why a truly portable and pocketable Mac is needed. Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations MADE on a Mac desktop computer.
    MBA.
  • Reply 28 of 28

Onedrive is HIPPA compliant:

http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=Onedrive+hippa+compliant&d=4704665521295272&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=by05V2boHe9bb1lsSKc8MkbF1jFy4-3-

"OneDrive for Business in Office 365 is compliant with world-class industry standards, including ISO 27001, EU Model clauses, HIPAA BAA, and FISMA, and is verified by third-party auditors."