we're a buncha suckers...?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My mother in law is buying a computer:

A Dell 1.6ghz, 40gigs 7200rpm and 17inch monitor (trinitron for a little more) and a scan/printer/copier, all for under 1000.00$.... she tells me for 800.00$

I tell her to go for a Mac . . . . and in all seriousenss, I have no arguement that makes sense to her... (and even a little lacking in sense to my ears as well).

Her eyesight prevents her from considering an iMac, plus, what's the point anyway?!? for anything comparable in a MAc, you would pay over three thousand ($3000.00!!) dollars.

Also she feels that because the University where she works is all PCs, she wants to make sure to be able to link up and not deal with any file incompatibilities (which I feel is no real problem... but try to tell someone who knows nothing about computers!) plus, with OS X coming soon, as default replacement, I can't even boast to her how it is so much easier than Windows.

If Macs don't try to compete at a basic price for performance level are we screwed?

Maybe we are all a buncha suckers after all?!?!??!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    interesting. no 4 year MSN contract in there? if that's the case that's a decent price. there are always strings though.

of course, i'm typing this on a PC i built myself for a song, so i guess i'm one to talk.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    crappy video ram on that machine (prob 4MB) or it uses the CPU as part of its video power.

Also, the basic iSoftware on that dell isn't nearly as good as on an iMac.

However, when my girlfriends mom goes to get a computer I don't care what she gets. Think about it, it's your mother in law. The last person you want to get involved in 'selling' a computer too is your mother in law. You wouldn't want to sell her a car either. Some things you just let mothers in law do without input. If she's not a problem now, let it stay that way.

Nonetheless, if you've got an iBook or Powerbook you might show her one of those. The iBook would be an easier and cooler comparison. There is nothing that Dell will do that an iBook won't - within reason.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    [quote]Maybe we are all a buncha suckers after all?!?!??! <hr></blockquote>

You're right. Thanks for showing us the way. The knowledge that I can get a Dell for $800 makes my life seem incomplete.Or maybe some of us buy Macs because we just prefer using them, not because we think we're getting a good deal.

If you thought your Mac was a bargain, then maybe you are a sucker. But don't speak for the rest of us.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    [quote]Originally posted by seb:

<strong>crappy video ram on that machine (prob 4MB) or it uses the CPU as part of its video power.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually it has a 16MB Rage 128 Ultra 4X video card in it. The same video as an iMac I believe.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    If her workplace uses a PC.. it would indeed be better if she bought a PC. Esp with people that are not TOO computer savvy. Macs are not the answer to every computer need.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Look, right now the iMacs are under powered and have bad specs for the price, it's true, but that doesn't mean we're suckers for getting Macs. PCs might have the edge (at the moment) in hardware but Apple has much better software. iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, and even AppleWorks works pretty good. It all depends how you look at it.

Chris
  • Reply 7 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I think anybody that thinks a Mac is nothing more than an underpowered PC is a sucker.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:

<strong>If her workplace uses a PC.. it would indeed be better if she bought a PC. Esp with people that are not TOO computer savvy. Macs are not the answer to every computer need.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Great point.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Really, I don't think macs should have or will ever have even close to 100% market share. I enjoy using macs becuase I like doing design work, I live for the warm feeling I get when I log onto a mac and I have an obsession with the craftsmanship and sturdiness that goes into an Apple product.

You know what?

Not everybody wants that warm feeling of logging onto a mac, they want to get into their computer and "get down to some serious business", they want their computer to feel more complex, (besides a computer is always more powerful when the OS closely resembles our galaxy, and you have to have such a profound knowledge to use it ).

Not everyone is like me, and wants their OS to look and act like it is having fun, nor does everyone perceive themselves or want to be an artist, after all that is the best use for the mac barnone.

Not all of us feel our OS is the heart of our computer and feel the need to celebrate it's glory religiously.

As long as nobody in this world is a robot all will be different and will have different needs, wants and preferrences.

Just because we think lowly of PC's doesn't mean that we should think any less of the PC world.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    She also sounds like the exact kind of person who would benefit far more from a user-intuitive interface than the latest and greatest features and specifications.

If she's like most people and doesn't know the difference between a hard drive and a USB port, the feature/performance advantage is largely offset by sub-par ease of use. Why do you need a 1.6GHz processor if you think the computer already scrolls through word documents too fast already? I knew I couldn't tell the difference between a 800MHz Duron and 1.6GHz P4 just cruising through everyday tasks.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I went through this same situation about a year ago and the iMacs were hard sells then. I can't imagine trying to do that now. They are in need of a serious overhaul (about 3 weeks away, I hope). Til then, the only thing you can do to help someone buy a mac is encourage them to wait until after the new year to buy anything, under the pretense of "after Christmas sales." Maybe by that time, there will be more compelling macs. Here's hoping...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Sounds like a good machine. My 900mhz Duron is looking smaller and smaller when grandmother's are getting 1.6ghz boxes for genealogy.