Apple rolls out iPhone 5 sleep/wake button replacement program in U.S. and Canada

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    About two months ago now, Apple replaced mine with new phone when they saw the button wasn't working. It was out of warrantee. Bondi store.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Had the same problem, glad mine was replaced last October for a lighting connecter issue now for that reason also.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    I was given an Android RAZR for work. My iphone is fine, wish the droid button would work lol. When will the DoD authorize BYOD???
  • Reply 24 of 45
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    As [@]Benjamin Frost[/@] writes, there are other ways to turning the phone off. Although I do think you won't be able to take a screenshot with a wonky or non functional sleep/wake button.

I got the 5 when it came out, here in NL in October, and got the button fail on me, just on occasion, after 11 months old. I told the Genius I didn't think it was a major problem as it only failed if I didn't press it straight down (it failed when I pressed the button while picking it up causing me to press it under an angle). Yet he gave me a new phone, saying it should simply work.

I think I can tick this off under "one of the reasons our customer satisfaction is the highest in the industry".
  • Reply 25 of 45
    mcdark wrote: »
    Mine's got this issue. Glad they've acknowledged this is an inherent problem before I paid for it to be fixed myself. Downside though, guess I'm going to have to wipe out my jailbreak, thereby losing my tethering capability. Bummer.

I'm delighted that you'll be losing your tethering capability due to jailbreak. Ideally, all jailbreakers will lose the ability to tether due to this issue.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    philboogie wrote: »
    As [@]Benjamin Frost[/@] writes, there are other ways to turning the phone off. Although I do think you won't be able to take a screenshot with a wonky or non functional sleep/wake button.

I got the 5 when it came out, here in NL in October, and got the button fail on me, just on occasion, after 11 months old. I told the Genius I didn't think it was a major problem as it only failed if I didn't press it straight down (it failed when I pressed the button while picking it up causing me to press it under an angle). Yet he gave me a new phone, saying it should simply work.

I think I can tick this off under "one of the reasons our customer satisfaction is the highest in the industry".

Exemplary service from Apple there.

You can take a screenshot with a non-working sleep button, believe me! I've done it. It's one of the options in AssistiveTouch. There are all sorts of weird and wonderful things you can do with it—shows Apple's care for the disabled.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Exemplary service from Apple there.

You can take a screenshot with a non-working sleep button, believe me! I've done it. It's one of the options in AssistiveTouch. There are all sorts of weird and wonderful things you can do with it—shows Apple's care for the disabled.

I didn't know that would still be possible. And yes, the accessibility options are vast. I'm amazed at how good the Dutch voice overs are, in spite of not supporting the language as a speakable item.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    robertsm wrote: »
    Apple guy on the phone basically said I was SOL because I didn't drive over 70 miles and pay $250 , which I didn't have at the time to fix a problem that the local guys fix. All I asked for was iTunes credit. He said. 'No' what should I do now. Any reasonable person would do what I had done vs driving 70 miles and paying $250
    About 5 months ago my button stopped working and I paid 270 dollars to get a replacement. I called a local apple store and they directed me to the recall web page and assured me that it could track back to the original phone but when I entered it, it said I did not qualify. A second call to them to track down that serial just to be sure eventually got me to someone who looked it up and got the refund process going. The whole thing just started so I would suggest that if your local apple store won't help, look up the number for a different one and call them.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    philboogie wrote: »

Thanks for info about the angle push ... but now I have Techno-Paranoia ... like every other iPhone 5 owner who never noticed a problem I will have to go and see if I can induce one ... :D
  • Reply 30 of 45
    [S]Just got back from the Apple store. Scheduled a 10:30 appointment and was out of the store over an hour and a half later. They said I was the first person they'd helped with the program. Phone was already updated to 7.1.1 but when they plugged it into the diagnostics tool, it had to redownload and install 7.1.1. This process took the majority of the time, as I'm sure Apple's servers were getting hit at the time. I have a black 5 and they wouldn't give me a white loaner, which is understandable. They said to expect a call in 4-6 days.[/S]
  • Reply 31 of 45
    mcdarkmcdark Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'm delighted that you'll be losing your tethering capability due to jailbreak. Ideally, all jailbreakers will lose the ability to tether due to this issue.

Why? What's it to you? You don't even know the circumstances.

Clue: Google 'Giffgaff tethering iPhone'

• Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

As @Benjamin Frost writes, there are other ways to turning the phone off. 

Maybe Samsung can patent a way to turn your phone off without pressing any buttons by winking at it in Morse Code. They can add it to the dog pile of "desperate innovation" features on the Galaxy S6.

• Reply 33 of 45
    emericaemerica Posts: 34member
    I think this is just as much about upgrading more devices to the newest iOS than fixing the sleep/wake button. They're fixing a hardware problem why would they mandate they upgrade your OS. It's a win win for Apple, they get a happy customer and improve their iOS statistics. Genius
  • Reply 34 of 45
    This makes me angry. I fought for months to get them to finally replace my phone and stop telling me I was crazy and pushing the button wrong! ????
  • Reply 35 of 45
    howiehowie Posts: 68member

For those of you saying your iPhone 5 sleep/wake button works just fine: Good for you. Also: Don't care.

There's a problem and it isn't the first time Apple has experienced problems. But they are doing something about it.

• Reply 36 of 45
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    My dad had complained about my old 5 I have him when I upgraded to the 5S. I never had a problem with it. Seems he's right- he qualified- sorry for doubting you pop. Hah
  • Reply 37 of 45
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Legit repairs yes. If he had paid the $250 or whatever it was he could likely get is money back from Apple. But he violated the service terms agreed to when he bought the phone and had it serviced by a non authorized third party. So no Apple isn't going to pay him back for that repair or touch that phone again if they can track that issue (like if they got his serial)

I'd ask again also. Can't blame the guy. Had he known they would reimburse his $250, it'd be different. But how was he to know there was something faulty when an easy repair for $70 local vs $250 and 4-5 hours later? No brainer.

He's also only wanting iTunes credit and would supply a receipt. I think once you talk to someone nice enough- they'll help you out. Apple is great like that.
  • Reply 38 of 45

Went to the local Apple store on Saturday to get my wife's iPhone fixed. Left with a 16GB loaner iPhone 5 two and a half hours later. Did not have a Genius Bar appointment though. Make sure you back up your device before you go.

• Reply 39 of 45

Purchased my iPhone 5 in Oct 2012.  Within 6 months was on my 3rd phone due to this issue.  Each of the 1st 2 phones started off just fine, but within a few months the button would become nearly unusable unless you hit it in just the right way.  Each time I would take it into the Apple Store and they would press the button once or twice then say they'd be right back.  Within a few minutes they were handing me a replacement phone. 

I've had this 3rd phone for about a year now with no problems, so it does sound like those early batches must have had some issues.  Glad they are officially acknowledging now.

• Reply 40 of 45
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Had my handset replaced under warranty for this same issue.