Questionable 'iPhone 6' render claims Apple's next handset will be 33% thinner

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

From Ars: "Finally, a flagship phone that feels great to hold. Where the Nexus 4, Galaxy S 4, HTC One, and others are all a little uncomfortable for one reason or another, the Moto X gives you a phone you can use one-handed, without ripping out all of the desirable features."

So… what’s their justification for that, particularly when physical hand sizes say otherwise?

• Reply 62 of 83
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member

I really want this new iPhone (I currently have a 4s) but I just can't justify spending $850 (I have T-Mobile, and need the 64GB model to transfer all my music and data over.) Maybe I will switch to ATT or Verizon so I can get one for around $400, which sounds a lot more realistic. I currently pay $50/ month for unlimited.. I can get a Verizon plan for $55 month unlimited text/ voice and 250 MB data. Do any of these carriers offer incentives if I sign a contract and switch over from T-Mobile?

• Reply 63 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

A 16:9 ( Or iPhone 5 AR )   ;

4.7" Screen would have display size of 10.4cm × 5.86cm

5.5" Screen would have display size of 12.17cm × 6.86cm

So Something is not right with those design docs vs rumors.

4.7" is just a diagonal measurement. The vertical could be shorter and horizontal longer and vice/versa... Apple has already shown that they aren't afraid to make an awkward odd, nonstandard choice when it comes to physical dimensions and it looks like that is what they are doing again... Making the phone longer and not really wider which honestly doesn't do much in the way of actually improving user experience and somewhat limits the benefits of having a larger display to begin with. Thing's won't be 'bigger' in a sense and only content that will benefit from it is scrolling content like a book or webpages because it's less to scroll but the images and things you actually look at won't gain any size of significance.  Essentially if the rumors are true and this is the phone, they are giving us all the drawbacks of a bigger phone without the 25% of the benefits. So essentially the Apple haters who produced this meme were dead on:

• Reply 64 of 83
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    So… what’s their justification for that, particularly when physical hand sizes say otherwise?

This video might help you:
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 65 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who's physical hand sizes are you talking about or are you just spreading FUD that has been perpetuated about in an effort to downplay the fact that in Apple's own words "customers want we don't have"? I have small hands bordering on average size for a man and the Moto X is the perfect size... It actually feels better to hold in my hand than my 5S does because of it's shape and a design that's thoughtful about ergonomics. I was sincerely hoping that Apple wouldn't be Apple and would just do a Moto X sized phone but nope, if rumors hold true they will be making the phone longer and longer. In an effort to soft-pedal their crow eating when defensively saying that larger phones can't possibly fit a human hand.

• Reply 66 of 83
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I suspect that those of you for whom that is a consideration are a small minority of users. Not because I think the preference is without merit, but just because I don't see people DOING it. Get on a commuter train and watch -- almost everyone will be using two hands to operate their device, regardless of whether the device is large or small. Some hold the device with one hand while poking at it with the other, others cup it between both hands and operate it with their thumbs. Very, very few hold and operate it with the same hand.

The question for Apple is whether or not the one-handed contingent represent a large enough base to warrant continued commitment to that design consideration.

OMG NO!!!!
    I use my iPhone with one hand and I love it that way! It feels more natural when walking. It's just right! If I'm forced to use an iPhone with two hands, the phone would lose a lot of points to me. I don't need a tablet in my pockets, I want something small.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    itpromike wrote: »
    Who's physical hand sizes are you talking about or are you just spreading FUD that has been perpetuated about in an effort to downplay the fact that in Apple's own words "customers want we don't have"? I have small hands bordering on average size for a man and the Moto X is the perfect size... It actually feels better to hold in my hand than my 5S does because of it's shape and a design that's thoughtful about ergonomics. I was sincerely hoping that Apple wouldn't be Apple and would just do a Moto X sized phone but nope, if rumors hold true they will be making the phone longer and longer. In an effort to soft-pedal their crow eating when defensively saying that larger phones can't possibly fit a human hand.

Agree, I had a Nexus S, and its wider screen felt more 'right' than the screen on the iPhone, while being the same size. The Motorola X indeed looks like an amazing phone, design-wise, and the customization is incredible. I hope Apple does eliminate the current sizes!
  • Reply 68 of 83
    clemynx wrote: »
    I think that's very unlikely!

Wow on AI since 2004 and only 22 comments? :)

Steady on! He's on his way to two posts a year!

Queen Victoria was known to have one bath a year "whether she needed one or not."
  • Reply 69 of 83
    I will be getting 2. My eyes can't stand the small screen, and my wife has already broken her phone by letting the kids dip into the olive oil at the restaurant. I think demand for a big iPhone will be off the charts. We have all been waiting for a phone that is easier to use. This will help a lot with missed key punches and less headaches from reading small print.

I'm not convinced that Apple will consider being olive oil-proof a unique selling point for the masses. I could be wrong, though.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    I suspect that those of you for whom that is a consideration are a small minority of users. Not because I think the preference is without merit, but just because I don't see people DOING it. Get on a commuter train and watch -- almost everyone will be using two hands to operate their device, regardless of whether the device is large or small. Some hold the device with one hand while poking at it with the other, others cup it between both hands and operate it with their thumbs. Very, very few hold and operate it with the same hand.

The question for Apple is whether or not the one-handed contingent represent a large enough base to warrant continued commitment to that design consideration.

Your train travelling is giving you tunnel vision. In the context of people sitting down and reading, you may well use two hands. When you're walking down a street with a bag in your hand and your phone rings, you want easy one-handed use.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    So then, if you forget to take your ultra thin iPhone out of your back pocket and you sit down, bam! Bent or broken iPhone.
  • Reply 72 of 83

How to win:

1. Everyone like me can use a giant phablet with one hand, what's your problem?

2. Everyone like me wants to use two hands, what's your problem?

3. Everyone like me wants a gigantic screen, what's your problem?

• Reply 73 of 83
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

4.7" is just a diagonal measurement. The vertical could be shorter and horizontal longer and vice/versa... Apple has already shown that they aren't afraid to make an awkward odd, nonstandard choice when it comes to physical dimensions and it looks like that is what they are doing again... Making the phone longer and not really wider which honestly doesn't do much in the way of actually improving user experience and somewhat limits the benefits of having a larger display to begin with. Thing's won't be 'bigger' in a sense and only content that will benefit from it is scrolling content like a book or webpages because it's less to scroll but the images and things you actually look at won't gain any size of significance.  Essentially if the rumors are true and this is the phone, they are giving us all the drawbacks of a bigger phone without the 25% of the benefits. So essentially the Apple haters who produced this meme were dead on:

This one made me laugh

• Reply 74 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Your train travelling is giving you tunnel vision. In the context of people sitting down and reading, you may well use two hands. When you're walking down a street with a bag in your hand and your phone rings, you want easy one-handed use.

Fair point. Could be.

• Reply 75 of 83
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    itpromike wrote: »
    What hell are you going on about? 2 posts in a row spreading your own brand of FUD.

None of the leaks or accurate mockups based on leaks indicate any of the nonsense you're spewing.
  • Reply 76 of 83

Your response is purposely dense...

No, your initial statement was.

Of course I don't want them to use a lower resolution screen. What I'm saying is that the resolution they are using is lower than the standard and the competition... They should release it with a 1080P display.

Nah. That’s roughly twice the DPI they have right now, so most of it would be wasted battery. We’re more likely to see full 720, as that keeps the DPI in roughly the same place.

Not a lower resolution phone for more money than the competition. 

As I said before (maybe. Can’t remember, don’t care; you exhibited it before, anyway): You don’t have a clue how Apple works or what they represent. Stop thinking you do.

The content on iTunes isnt 2:39:1

Yes, it is. Also 16:9 and 4:3. 

…its 16:9 which is 1080P is.

And guess what? The iPhone is already 16:9. Your previous comment is STILL wrong.

Lastly for your comment about the Moto X, here is the comparison with the Moto X... notice how it's smaller but still has a 4.7" screen? You're telling me that Apples industry leading engineers couldn't figure this out better than Motorola for goodness sakes?

Ah, Moto X… you mean the flop? Yeah, I figure Apple’s engineers can figure it out better than a device that flops.

• Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What hell are you going on about? 2 posts in a row spreading your own brand of FUD.

None of the leaks or accurate mockups based on leaks indicate any of the nonsense you're spewing.

I've already posted picture from the leak on this very site as well as others like 9to5mac etc.. that show the size comparisons... so if you're saying that Appleinsider is spewing FUD then take that up with them. I'm only commenting on the articles which they themselves are reporting. Fact of the matter is, if these renders (based on the 'leaked' case story that again was reported by this very site) are true then we are going to be getting a phone that is larger than current 4.7" Android phones but we will only get 4.7 out of it and as large as the current 5" phones but again we are only get 4.7 out of it. All I'm saying is, at least engineer it so it is smaller or the same size as current 4.7" phones to make it fit better in the hand and pocket OR if you're going to give us a phone that is as large as other 5" phones at least give us the 5" screen real estate to show for it.

• Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:

No, your initial statement was.

Nah. That’s roughly twice the DPI they have right now, so most of it would be wasted battery. We’re more likely to see full 720, as that keeps the DPI in roughly the same place.

As I said before (maybe. Can’t remember, don’t care; you exhibited it before, anyway): You don’t have a clue how Apple works or what they represent. Stop thinking you do.

Yes, it is. Also 16:9 and 4:3. 

And guess what? The iPhone is already 16:9. Your previous comment is STILL wrong.

Ah, Moto X… you mean the flop? Yeah, I figure Apple’s engineers can figure it out better than a device that flops.

I agree with you on the wasted battery, however if we're already getting a phone the size of other 5" 1080P phone why not have the increased battery size and resolution to show for it? What I and seemingly many others on this site and on many other sites seem to think wasted battery is, is trying to make a phone so bloody thin -although no one ever complained on how thick the current phone was- when all along you could have used extra space for more battery...

Additionally as to your Moto X comment, you're purposely ignoring that actual content of my comment (I'm guessing because you can't actually deny it's merits) and now you're bringing in tertiary information that's really besides the point. Sure the Moto X may or may not have flopped (depends if you really trust 1 report made to support that vs. several reports contrary to it) but it doesn't take away from the fact that the device has the same alleged screen size as the new iPhone all the while it is quite a bit shorter and shaped to fit in your hand well. It's not awkwardly tall for it's size. So sure let's say it flopped, it's not really pursuant to the point that it's smaller device (at least in the length). Yes the new iPhone will sell leagues  more than that device but is that really a reason to ignore the merits of a more physically ergonomic design?

• Reply 79 of 83

we are going to be getting a device that is larger than current 4.7 Android phones but we will only get 4.7 out of it and as large as the current 5" phones but again we are only get 4.7 out of it. 

Holy crap, this is your actual argument. This is what you’re actually complaining about. Marvin’s quote has never been more appropriate.

• Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:

Holy crap, this is your actual argument. This is what you’re actually complaining about. Marvin’s quote has never been more appropriate.

That was one point of the several other things that I've brought up yes. That was not the entirety of the 'argument' as you put it, no. There were several other factors like not using industry standard resolutions and offering lower resolutions and screen sizes relative cost than the competition. Lastly Who is Marvin?