Apple's iOS 7.1.1 tweaks shown to extend iPhone battery life

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Sadly, 7.1.1 did nothing to fix cellular battery drain issue. At my home I%u2019m forced to disable mobile data (despite having robust WiFi connection) to prevent my iPhone 5s getting warm and drying up battery in realtime while idling (from 100% to 20-30% for 8 hours of doing nothing). The reason? Nearest 3G tower of my cellular provider have very poor internet connection. And still my iPhone insists on keeping alive cellular data connection despite being always on WiFi. It%u2019s not the battery %u2014 @ other locations battery life is excellent. It is inability to disable power-hungry and useless connection in place of low-power and fast one.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    ireland wrote: »
    Just as the iMac is now the thinnest AIO out there, but the speakers sound much worse than the previous gen, thanks to the funnelled-audio sounds. I literally switched to the MacBook Air from 9 years of owning iMacs because of this issue, as the reason I bought the iMac is I was a true AIO desktop guy. Even adding on speakers to it ruins he whole point of the iMac IMO, and I really think it was a bad tradeoff. True form over function in the iMac case.
    Let me get this right, you switched from an iMac because it had crappy internal speakers and your solution was to replace it with a MacBook that also has crappy speakers?

Seriously, it doesn't matter what computer you buy they all have rubbish speakers, just some are slightly less crap than others.

If you care about sound plug in some B&W MM1's or use a pair of decent headphones.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    I double that the 20% to 0% has anything to do with the battery failing, as this didn't happen to me when I was on 7.1.
    I think that 7.1.1. is the bug.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    What is with Apple using 1000 cycle batteries on laptops and only 300 cycle ones on iPhones?

That is less than one years use before the KO approaches for many. That matters little phones with a battery hatch.
    It just pains.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    ireland wrote: »

Too bad the iPhone 6 is going to be so, so, thin. It's going look cool being so thin, but they could enhance battery life more if they weren't so obsessed with being the thinnest smartphone out there.

Just keep in mind that when everyone was speculating about the iPhone 5 design, there was case manufacturers who made thousands of "tear drop" designed cases (iPhone 5 rumor at the time)in anticipation.

http://www.gizchina.com/2011/10/04/iphone-5-cases-point-tear-drop-design/

So this could all be quite different by the time they release the phone.

They even went as far as making a physical mock up of what everyone was sure to be the iPhone 5 http://www.gizmocrazed.com/2011/09/first-rumours-based-physical-mockup-of-iphone-5-created/
  • Reply 26 of 35

I have an iphone 4s and noticed almost no battery loss when sitting unused all night . huge improvement over 7.1,

• Reply 27 of 35
    I've had terrible battery life on my 5 lately. Something is sucking it down to 50% by lunchtime with or without use. Turned off notifications, background app refresh still no help. Turning off icloud services has helped somewhat, but 7.1.1 has done nothing to stop it. Guess I'll try a wipe and restore.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Funny how in the news this morning this wasn't mentioned but how installing 7.1.1 causes a black screen and then you have to restore your iPhone losing all pics, apps etc. Report came out of Britain.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Funny how in the news this morning this wasn't mentioned but how installing 7.1.1 causes a black screen and then you have to restore your iPhone losing all pics, apps etc. Report came out of Britain.

Of course when you restore an iPhone that's been properly backed up: you "lose" precisely nothing. No wonder they lost the empire.

• Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I have no problem with overall battery life. The problem I have every once in a while is a complete shutdown for no reason when my percentage is showing between 15 & 20%. Sometimes I can power on again and other times I get nothing but the battery image showing a sliver of red along with the lightning connector plug. All other times I can run down to 1% and she still runs fine. iPhone 5 running 7.1.

You have a faulty battery. I had the same thing, took it to a Genius bar and had it replaced for free. They have equipment which instantly show if the battery is faulty.

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Barrie View Post

I've had terrible battery life on my 5 lately. Something is sucking it down to 50% by lunchtime with or without use. Turned off notifications, background app refresh still no help. Turning off icloud services has helped somewhat, but 7.1.1 has done nothing to stop it. Guess I'll try a wipe and restore.

I think sometimes a rogue app can drain the battery if you're unlucky. Also, run the iPhone down once a month to keep the battery calibrated. If you're noticing battery drain, try turning the iPhone completely off and on.

• Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

7.1 was far worse on battery life on my iPhone4.

Stop laughing.

Much better with 7.1.1

Ha, yeah I am not laughing.  My wife and I both have the 4, going on 3.5 years now, we will probably upgrade when the 6 comes out.  That being said, I did see improvements from 7 to 7.1.1 in battery life.  My wife's phone is still on  version 6 and she seems to have poor battery performance.  I wonder if an upgrade to 7.1.1 would hurt, or help?

• Reply 33 of 35
    sprybry wrote: »

Ha, yeah I am not laughing.  My wife and I both have the 4, going on 3.5 years now, we will probably upgrade when the 6 comes out.  That being said, I did see improvements from 7 to 7.1.1 in battery life.  My wife's phone is still on  version 6 and she seems to have poor battery performance.  I wonder if an upgrade to 7.1.1 would hurt, or help?

Oh boy, if your wife has had an iPhone for three and a half years, the battery will be inevitably worse. I would certainly upgrade to 7.1.1 for the last few months of its life. I've read more than one report saying that 7.1.1 is comparable to 6 in battery life. To help the battery as much as possible, make a note to completely drain the battery once a month.

Edit: my iPad 2 is almost three years old, and I'm very pleased with how well the battery has held up. It's not as good as it used to be, but still easily gets through a day and then some.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    In bed, 6 minutes before the end of a TV episode I got the 20% warning on my iPhone 5s. I turned to discover my charger cable was missing. I decided to try and finish watching the episode, put my phone to sleep, and tried not worry if my iPhone 5s would make it until the morning to wake me up with the usual alarm. 6 hours later I woke up to the alarm, checked the battery which had only slipped down to 15%. 5% battery drain from 6 minutes of video plus 6 hours of standby. Thank you iOS 7.1.1.
  • Reply 35 of 35

Personally, I thought the speakers in the previous iMac design weren't good enough either.  But I don't think adding a set of external speakers to an iMac ruins the whole point of the iMac.  It's not like you are carrying an iMac around all the time -- just plug in some speakers and route the cables nicely out of sight.  You won't worry about it again.

It sounds more like you threw out the baby with the bathwater in this case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Just as the iMac is now the thinnest AIO out there, but the speakers sound much worse than the previous gen, thanks to the funnelled-audio sounds. I literally switched to the MacBook Air from 9 years of owning iMacs because of this issue, as the reason I bought the iMac is I was a true AIO desktop guy. Even adding on speakers to it ruins he whole point of the iMac IMO, and I really think it was a bad tradeoff. True form over function in the iMac case.