Apple "Megastores" in NY, LA, Chicago

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
According to this thread on MacCentral, the reason for the delay in opening centrally-located Apple Stores in New York, LA, Chicago, and perhaps elsewhere is because Apple will soon announce "megastores" in select locations which will be much bigger than normal.

This might explain the delay in these centrally located stores opening, especially since (in the case of Chicago and New York) the properties were rented long ago, and signs of work being done on them have been visible for months, yet there's been no word about them opening any time soon. Not only that, but the two locations we know of for the NY and Chicago stores (SoHo's old Restoration Hardware for the first; an old super-sized Gap on the Magnificent Mile for the latter) are both considerably larger than any of the stores open so far.

Supposedly, the "megastores" will be announced at MWSF. (is there anything that ISN'T rumored to be announced at MWSF?) I certainly hope this is true . . .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    If I'm not mistaken, the Soho Restoration Hardware was a multistory storefront. Pretty interesting rumor...

There's no Apple Store in San Francisco either, but I can see why one wouldn't be planned...SF is a rather small core city with serious transportation issues.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Interesting concept. What more would the store have, though? The Apple Stores that I've been to generally have the latest software, plenty of computers to use, good demos, and tons of helpful salespeople.

What more could they add to an Apple Store that would make it a MegaStore?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    More software, more accessories. At this point, Apple offers 5 camcorders, 10 digital cameras, 5 PDAs, 5 music players (not including iPod,) a handful of printers, a handful of scanners, etc.

It's also not clear that they are even selling this items in current stores. For example, they sell those headphones found on some of the demo Macs.

I can also see a large books section and maybe a real service counter.

Each station would be larger too. The digital photos section would have a printer, for example. The iPod gets its own station with dedicated computers...instead of having iPods placed randomly in the store.

Heck, they might even put a tiny classroom in there.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 33
    I went by the Apple Store Chicago location (rumored) this weekend and it looked like NOTHING was happening in there. In fact they even took down the butcher paper on the windows and replaced it with more permanent "Magnificent Mile" window paper that the put on stores that will be vacant for a long time. It's been empty for over a year and I can't see Apple paying the very high rent and not opening a store for X-mass 2001.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    <a href="http://forums.maccentral.com/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=news011215cambridgesidephp &Number=54224&page=&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&part=&re " target="_blank">http://forums.maccentral.com/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=news011215cambridgesidephp &Number=54224&page=&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&part=&re </a> turnto=http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/15.cambridgeside.php

Okay this burns me up. It's not "Miracle Mile"! It's "Magnificent Mile"! I'm so sick of tourist getting that wrong. I have to wait while some Hoosier asks the driver if the bus I'm on goes to the "Miracle Mile".

Somethings wrong with the UBB/URL tag?

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Scott H. ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 33
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    What about PHILADELPHIA, DAMMIT!!!!!!!!

I want one now!!!!!!!

Right freakin now!!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 33
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]What about PHILADELPHIA, DAMMIT!!!!!!!!

I want one now!!!!!!!

Right freakin now!!!!! <hr></blockquote>

Actually, I think they're going to open more stores in MA and NH, as well as Southern California first.

Hey, those are the two largest Mac markets you know!

To rub it in, I had one of my local malls (Rockingham Park) get an Apple Store two weeks ago, and an Apple store in Cambridge, MA (CambridgeSide)last Saturday. We also have the Peabody, MA Apple Store (Northshore) and that just happens to be right on my way to work.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Up here in NY we've got the Palisades, Tices Corner, another one pretty close to Tices coming soon and then the NYC SoHo store. Thats a lot in a small area.

I hope to be moving to Philly pretty soon so I also hope they put one down there. King of Prussia springs to mind as a great location.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>Up here in NY we've got the Palisades, Tices Corner, another one pretty close to Tices coming soon and then the NYC SoHo store. Thats a lot in a small area.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Where near Tice's is one coming soon?
  • Reply 10 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Where near Tice's is one coming soon?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know its near Springfield NJ....let me look it up and I'll let you know
  • Reply 11 of 33
    From Apple's job page (note: this link will probably expire)

<a href="https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/30/wo/rt5MbEqi08E63mYN2EDy4QgfKtD/4.2.22.9.2.0.1.3"; target="_blank">https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/30/wo/rt5MbEqi08E63mYN2EDy4QgfKtD/4.2.22.9.2.0.1.3</a>;

Short Hills NJ

32 miles south of Woodcliff Lake, NJ (Tice's)

Isn't Woodcliff like 32 miles south of Palisades?

I think this is crazy considering they don't have one in the Philly area yet.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>Up here in NY we've got the Palisades, Tices Corner, another one pretty close to Tices coming soon and then the NYC SoHo store. Thats a lot in a small area.

I hope to be moving to Philly pretty soon so I also hope they put one down there. King of Prussia springs to mind as a great location.</strong><hr></blockquote>

that's no where near a lot in a small area.

Palisades is quite a trip from the city. Tice's is as well.

considering there is only 1 store being planned for the metro area the store must be going to be huge
  • Reply 13 of 33
    They should have one in C-Town yo!
  • Reply 14 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

Palisades is quite a trip from the city. Tice's is as well.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Palisades is a 35-45 min trip from the city and Tice's is a little more than that. That's quite a trip?
  • Reply 15 of 33

<strong>

Palisades is a 35-45 min trip from the city and Tice's is a little more than that. That's quite a trip?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Coming from where?

north bronx?

did you forget about Brooklyn, Staten Island, and Manhatten?
  • Reply 16 of 33

<strong>

Palisades is a 35-45 min trip from the city and Tice's is a little more than that. That's quite a trip?</strong><hr></blockquote>

and I don't think the prospect of having to drive an hour to the nearest apple store is going to improve market share at all.
  • Reply 17 of 33

<strong>

Coming from where?

north bronx?

did you forget about Brooklyn, Staten Island, and Manhatten?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I lived in Whitestone when I lived in Queens and it took 40 min at most (with no traffic) to get to Palisades. I've gotten there in just over a half hour. The only places in NYC that it'll take longer to get to is Brooklyn, Staten Island and some parts of Manhattan.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 33

<strong>

and I don't think the prospect of having to drive an hour to the nearest apple store is going to improve market share at all.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're absolutely right about that. That's why Apple will keep on opening more.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    [quote]and I don't think the prospect of having to drive an hour to the nearest apple store is going to improve market share at all.<hr></blockquote>

Hey cry me a river buddy. Come talk to me when I live less than 10 hours from one.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by poor taylor:

<strong>

Hey cry me a river buddy. Come talk to me when I live less than 10 hours from one. </strong><hr></blockquote>

That is EXACTLY my point. Palisades, Tices and Short Hills ARE the Metro NY area. Look at any map, any weather any traffic report. These areas are all included as the NY Metro Area. Having 4 stores in one metro area is great but when other areas don't have any at all it makes me wonder.

I live in Westchester County and all of these stores are very easy for me to reach. Hop a train to NYC, take a quick ride over the Tappen Zee, hit the GW to the Parkway. No problem.

Now if you live in Philly Metro area you have Zero(0) stores. This includes South Jersey, Philly, Philly suburbs and even parts of Delaware. This is a huge market and the closest Apple store is over an hour and a half away and thats only if you live in NJ.

Philly is the 4th largest market. As far as Tech companies go its 7th. Right behind NY which is 6th. Philly should have at least 2 stores by now.

edit: spelling

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Willoughby ]</p>