Apple "Megastores" in NY, LA, Chicago

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]Philly is the 4th largest market. As far as Tech companies go its 7th. Right behind NY which is 6th. Philly should have at least 2 stores by now. <hr></blockquote>

If this is true, than the Boston area should be getting more stores!
  • Reply 22 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>

If this is true, than the Boston area should be getting more stores! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Boston is a smaller market, but as far as Tech goes, its like number 2. So yeah, you guys should have like 8 stores by now....but thats only going by my logic which is probably ridiculously flawed.

I'm sure Apple has spent lots of mula researching the areas for their stores.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Why are both NJ Apple stores in North Jersey? We need one in central New Jersey too!

Chris
  • Reply 24 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>Why are both NJ Apple stores in North Jersey? We need one in central New Jersey too! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Short Hills is Central NJ

Well, it all depends on your perspective. I'm sure people in Atlantic City consider it North Jersey.

I heard someone in Asbury Park say to a friend on a cell phone "I'm down in South Jersey today" HELLO!?

Anything below Trenton is South Jersey to me.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>

That is EXACTLY my point. Palisades, Tices and Short Hills ARE the Metro NY area. Look at any map, any weather any traffic report. These areas are all included as the NY Metro Area. Having 4 stores in one metro area is great but when other areas don't have any at all it makes me wonder.

I live in Westchester County and all of these stores are very easy for me to reach. Hop a train to NYC, take a quick ride over the Tappen Zee, hit the GW to the Parkway. No problem.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

And it looks like more are coming to the area. If you look on the job opportunities page there's a listing for White Plains (I guess Westchester Mall).
  • Reply 26 of 33
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

<strong>

That is EXACTLY my point. Palisades, Tices and Short Hills ARE the Metro NY area. Look at any map, any weather any traffic report. These areas are all included as the NY Metro Area. Having 4 stores in one metro area is great but when other areas don't have any at all it makes me wonder.

I live in Westchester County and all of these stores are very easy for me to reach. Hop a train to NYC, take a quick ride over the Tappen Zee, hit the GW to the Parkway. No problem.

Now if you live in Philly Metro area you have Zero(0) stores. This includes South Jersey, Philly, Philly suburbs and even parts of Delaware. This is a huge market and the closest Apple store is over an hour and a half away and thats only if you live in NJ.

Philly is the 4th largest market. As far as Tech companies go its 7th. Right behind NY which is 6th. Philly should have at least 2 stores by now.

edit: spelling

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Willoughby ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

you're referring to weather maps now?

CH 4 shows Hartford and Scranton pennsylvania in their "tristate maps". is that metro?

give me a break. when people start arguing that NYC is getting too many Apple stores and there is only one opening within the city boundaries someone is smoking some good stuff.

[quote]I lived in Whitestone when I lived in Queens and it took 40 min at most (with no traffic) to get to Palisades. I've gotten there in just over a half hour. The only places in NYC that it'll take longer to get to is Brooklyn, Staten Island and some parts of Manhattan.<hr></blockquote>

no traffic? when does that happen? 4 in the morning? it takes me 40 minutes to get to the Plalisades mall with little traffic. and I live in throgs neck right off 95.

It takes me an hour sometimes to get to parts of brooklyn. 40 minutes to lower manhatten in traffic. 2 hour drives are good?

[quote]And it looks like more are coming to the area. If you look on the job opportunities page there's a listing for White Plains (I guess Westchester Mall).<hr></blockquote>

great news. I was waiting for them to put one there. fits their "image" perfectly.

BTW, a Philly store is coming. it just hasn't been announced yet. I think they are waiting for space in the King of prussia mall
  • Reply 27 of 33
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]Boston is a smaller market<hr></blockquote>

No. The Metro Boston area is Apple's second largest market, not just second largest in technology. The 128 belt houses a lot of Mac users.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    [quote]Orginally posted by applenut:

no traffic? when does that happen? 4 in the morning? it takes me 40 minutes to get to the Plalisades mall with little traffic. and I live in throgs neck right off 95.<hr></blockquote>

Well I guess it depends on which way you go. Because when I got there in 35 minutes it was on a Saturday afternoon. I guess it depends on how you go. Which way do you go? Cross Bronx to Deagan/87? Because I could see how that took long. Whenever I went from NYC we usually took the Bronx River Pkwy to the Sprain Pkwy to 287.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

And it looks like more are coming to the area. If you look on the job opportunities page there's a listing for White Plains (I guess Westchester Mall).</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't see this on the job listings page. When I went to retail and click on "jobs" I saw a listing for Paramus as well......upon closer inspection......its for the CompUSA Apple rep position. This is a job in CompUSA NOT the Apple store.

Are you sure you didn't see that position for White Plains? Which has a compusa by the way. (besides, most of the job listings have the malls name as well as the town)

One in White Plains, Nyack and Woodcliff Lake...they're just way to close.

I see Applenuts point, they need more in the actual CITY.
  • Reply 30 of 33

<strong>

I don't see this on the job listings page. When I went to retail and click on "jobs" I saw a listing for Paramus as well......upon closer inspection......its for the CompUSA Apple rep position. This is a job in CompUSA NOT the Apple store.

Are you sure you didn't see that position for White Plains? Which has a compusa by the way. (besides, most of the job listings have the malls name as well as the town)

One in White Plains, Nyack and Woodcliff Lake...they're just way to close.

I see Applenuts point, they need more in the actual CITY.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe it was a job at CompUSA... all I know is that I saw White Plains.

I also think applenut is right about more should be in the city. I think eventually there will be, it'll just take some time.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Are you listening Apple? I want one at the King of Prussia Mall!!!!

PHILLY, DAMMIT!!!!!!
  • Reply 32 of 33
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Reposted for Apple's viewing pleasure:

Are you listening Apple? I want one at the King of Prussia Mall!!!!

PHILLY, DAMMIT!!!!!!
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Why do people do this every time a thread about Apple store locations comes up?

They're coming, folks. It just takes time. Apple hit its mark of 25 stores opened by the end of 2001 (and beat it by two), and they said there's more to come in 2002. Given that they delivered on the first promise, I think it's reasonable to expect them to deliver on the second.

Philadelphia's way too big a market to be ignored. Just relax. At least you and I aren't one of the people that are 600+ miles away from the nearest store (to say nothing of people outside the US).