Video shows purported 'iPhone 6' case fits 6.1mm-thick iPod touch 'exactly'

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
After a supposed "leak" and comparison video, a case purportedly built for Apple's iPhone 6 has been tested against a current generation iPod touch with surprising similarities including near-exact thickness and correct volume control placement.

Unbox Therapy via YouTube

As noted in last week's video comparing the rumored iPhone 6 case with the iPhone 5s, LG-made Nexus 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S5, the external measurements of Apple's rumored handset look to be surprisingly thin.

According to Unbox Therapy, which got its hands on the bright pink case, the shell itself is thinner than the current 7.6-millimeter iPhone 5s, suggesting the upcoming handset shaves off a substantial amount of thickness while expanding screen size. In addition, the case features rounded edges consistent with previous reports of a revamped chassis design.

The YouTube channel's creator, Lewis Hilsenteger, purchased a current-generation iPod touch to find out if the 6.1mm-thick device would fit in the purported case. As seen in the video above, the iPod's thickness is "exactly the same" as the case's internal dimensions. Further, the volume buttons also appear to line up perfectly with those on the silicone-like shell, suggesting the iPhone 6 may take on a form factor closer to the iPod touch and current iPad lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I said in the other thread that the 6mm case rumor (if true) is likely the new iPod touch. The current camera on the touch sticks out as is. They won't do a protruding camera on the iPhone. Dumbest rumor to date.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Further, the volume buttons also appear to line up perfectly with those on the rubber shell, suggesting the iPhone 6 may take on a form factor closer to the iPod touch and current iPad lineup.

No, what it suggests is that the ‘leak’ is a fake.

• Reply 3 of 30
    Or maybe this is just a case for the next gen iPod touch, with a larger screen to match the next gen iPhone, as they did with the last iPod touch update. Sometimes the simplest solution is the right one;)
  • Reply 4 of 30
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    andysol wrote: »
    I said in the other thread that the 6mm case rumor (if true) is likely the new iPod touch. The current camera on the touch sticks out as is. They won't do a protruding camera on the iPhone. Dumbest rumor to date.

I hope they do a protruding camera on the iPhone. It would be barely protruding and I don't think it's a deal breaker for any phone that does, but my real desire for that is it means it wouldn't be a big step to then get rid of the very large "forehead" that Apple feels needs to be the same size as the "chin" which houses the Home Button. I think the HTC phones look very slick with the thinner "forehead."
  • Reply 5 of 30
    The question for everyone who's saying this case is probably the iPod touch is:

1.) If it's indeed the iPod touch vs. the iPhone why would they put the power button on the side instead of the top. 1 handed operation isn't nearly as important on an iPod as an iPhone.

2.) Probably more significantly though is why are they now adding a mute switch on the iPad touch where none of the previous generations they deemed it important enough to do that? What's there to mute on the fly with an iPod touch? With the phone it's understandable; you walk into a meeting and quickly flip the button but on an MP3 player? Not sure if that makes any sense.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    adhiradhir Posts: 50member
    This video could have been 30s long. This guy is a wind bag.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hope they do a protruding camera on the iPhone. It would be barely protruding and I don't think it's a deal breaker for any phone that does, but my real desire for that is it means it wouldn't be a big step to then get rid of the very large "forehead" that Apple feels needs to be the same size as the "chin" which houses the Home Button. I think the HTC phones look very slick with the thinner "forehead."

Do you think that an iPhone as a game controller, wouldn't it be better to have enough room to each side in landscape orientation to comfortably and equally have space for thumbs? I don't know, I don't have any of those sorts of games.

• Reply 8 of 30
    mstone wrote: »
    Do you think that an iPhone as a game controller, wouldn't it be better to have enough room to each side in landscape orientation to comfortably and equally have space for thumbs?

That's a valid consideration. It's also a consideration I would not make (clearly) since I don't tend to play such video games. I am even having trouble remembering if I have any apps that I have to use in landscape mode with thumbs on each side.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

If it is for the iPhone it is a great engineering achievement.

• Reply 10 of 30
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    An iphone that thin and large would have a thinner battery, but considering the larger 2d area in conjunction with the thinner 3rd dimension, wouldnt the same volume of battery be accomodated as is in the current 5s?
  • Reply 11 of 30
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Sorry, but you're wrong. Apple is not making a 4.7" iPod touch. Sorry to disappoint you.

iPod touch sales are dismal compared to iPhone. The (reliable) rumor sites and sources are not getting all bent out of shape over an iPod.

Its for the next iPhone.

• Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

1.) If it's indeed the iPod touch vs. the iPhone why would they put the power button on the side instead of the top. 1 handed operation isn't nearly as important on an iPod as an iPhone.

That could't possibly be make any less sense. The power button is moving because of how hard the button would be to reach. This stands to reason no matter what device it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

2.) Probably more significantly though is why are they now adding a mute switch on the iPad touch where none of the previous generations they deemed it important enough to do that? What's there to mute on the fly with an iPod touch? With the phone it's understandable; you walk into a meeting and quickly flip the button but on an MP3 player? Not sure if that makes any sense.

They are not adding a mute switch to the iPod. They are not even making a 4.7" iPod. People are stupid.

• Reply 13 of 30
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by itpromike View Post

Notifications from games, iMessage, e-mail, etc.... I would be willing to guess.

• Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If it is for the iPhone it is a great engineering achievement.

No kidding. This is Apple, after all. 

Do people not think that when they made the iPod touch, SOMEONE inside Apple maybe thought for a minute: "Wouldn't it be great if we made the iPhone like this?"

They've probably been knocking themselves dead trying to do it for years.

• Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Notifications from games, iMessage, e-mail, etc.... I would be willing to guess.

Don't waste your time guessing. They are not putting this engineering into a device that sells barely a few million per quarter. The current iPod touch handles that just fine.

• Reply 16 of 30
    pmz wrote: »
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Apple is not making a 4.7" iPod touch. Sorry to disappoint you.

iPod touch sales are dismal compared to iPhone. The (reliable) rumor sites and sources are not getting all bent out of shape over an iPod.

Its for the next iPhone.

Yeah, but so is the iPad with well under have the unit sales and I believe a lower ARP.

I have to assume most iPod types are much lower than the iPod Touch, especially the iPod Classic which lasted for years. The thing about the iPod Touch is that it really doesn't cost Apple much in R&D and production so I they have more than enough of the same components as the rumored 4.7" iPhone or manufacturing space available I don't see why it wouldn't likely be a net gain of several hundred million in revenue at 1 million unit ms at $300.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yeah, but so is the iPad with well under have the unit sales and I believe a lower ARP.

I have to assume most iPod types are much lower than the iPod Touch, especially the iPod Classic which lasted for years. The thing about the iPod Touch is that it really doesn't cost Apple much in R&D and production so I they have more than enough of the same components as the rumored 4.7" iPhone or manufacturing space available I don't see why it wouldn't likely be a net gain of several hundred million in revenue at 1 million unit ms at $300.

You don't need me to tell you that the leaks we're seeing have nothing to do with IPOD in 2014.

• Reply 18 of 30
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    When is a leak not a leak? When it is either a fabrication/speculation or when it is a misunderstanding/misinterpretation of the evidence.

Of course any and all good conspiracies can get started with one person's wild imagination and then be fueled by the official denial.
  • Reply 19 of 30

• Reply 20 of 30
    lilgto64 wrote: »
    When is a leak not a leak? When it is either a fabrication/speculation or when it is a misunderstanding/misinterpretation of the evidence.

Of course any and all good conspiracies can get started with one person's wild imagination and then be fueled by the official denial.

That's not what a conspiracy is. That's your misasaociation with the word to mean "wild story".

This is what the media has done to people.