MWSF Keynote at Apple Stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Last July, I went to the MW keynote at the Tysons Corner store in VA, and though it was largely disappointing as a presentation, the atmosphere was quite enjoyable. This time, I'm looking forward to showing up in Glendale. Anyone else out there who can't make the trip to SF and want to meet up?

BTW, I left the subject intentionally vague so discussion can take place for multiple areas.

-- ShadyG

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    At last year's MWSF, I went to Apple's Regional HQ in Boston to watch the keynote. They screwed the sound up a little bit, but it was fun to watch.

I was at MWNY to watch the keynote live, so I didn't have to worry about going to a different Apple site.

It might be interesting to see the keynote around here- either at an Apple Store or at the Apple's Boston site again. If Apple is releasing an updated PowerBook just two weeks before MWSF, I'm sure it will be a great show.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by ShadyG:

<strong>

BTW, I left the subject intentionally vague so discussion can take place for multiple areas.

-- ShadyG</strong><hr></blockquote>

That was very thoughtful of you.

Anyone know when they're going to open the registration for the keynote at the Apple offices? The one in NY fills up fast and I missed it last time. Luckily I got to see the Keynote at Javits Center anyway.

Maybe I should just forget about the NY office and just go to the Apple store??? Anyone know if they give away anything free at these places?

Last time I went to demo at the Apple office I got free cookies
  • Reply 3 of 19
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Yes! Since I go back to school on the 8th I can visit the Cambridgeside Galleria Store to watch the keynote.

Woopee!
  • Reply 4 of 19
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>Yes! Since I go back to school on the 8th I can visit the Cambridgeside Galleria Store to watch the keynote.

Woopee!</strong><hr></blockquote>

How come you don't go back until the 8th?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>Yes! Since I go back to school on the 8th I can visit the Cambridgeside Galleria Store to watch the keynote.

Woopee!</strong><hr></blockquote>

damnit i go back on the 2nd grrrr are you in college?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by corvette:

<strong>

damnit i go back on the 2nd grrrr are you in college?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's when I go back to.

And MacAddict's in high school.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I'm in university and my classes start again on the 6th, which means that I'll be back in residence just in time to catch the keynote on my fast net connection there.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    I start back at Uni on the 15th, but I'm thinking of going back on the 5th - Then i'll be able to watch the keynote on a very fast net connection - Whey!!!
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I go back to school on the 2nd, but my mom will pick me up early on the 7th for the keynote.

I go to my local Apple Office in Reston, VA to see the keynote (only about 15 minutes away from my house). I've been going there for the last 3 keynotes, and its been great.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    how does that work?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Just ordered an iBook, so I think I'll have to change my handle, but now I can go along to the library at Uni and steal one of the lines!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I'm thinking of taking off several days MW week. I would have taken them off anyway if I had gone to MW so there is no difference.

I got the Apple Market Center in Manhatten (citicorp building) for the keynotes. see the same people everytime, very cool, but they ALWAYS screw up the audio. it's tradition. that's why it was great once they installed airport. we were able to stream the audio feed off everyone's powerbooks and ibooks and listen that way while they searched for the button to turn the sound on
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Is it worth the train ride to the city or should I just go to the Palisades store Applenut? Train ride only takes like 30 minutes.

Do they give out free cookies or anything?

Free food will get me anywhere.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    It would be so cool if the Apple Store employees coordinated with Steve's keynote. That's to say that when he introduced the new iMac, the employees would concurrently unveil it. That would definitely get me down there.

Or maybe a Steve-bot, who mimicks the exact motions and intonations of the real steve. It would be like seeing the real Steve... all across the country.

(I was serious about the first part)

- Pook
  • Reply 15 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I doubt they'll have products in store for announcement.

1) They probably won't be shipping yet anyway, like the iPod release.

2) It would be much harder to keep it all a secret. They would have to inform the staff ahead of time...specs, features, price, etc.

3) The stores wouldn't have any displays ready.

Oh, and I've only gotten so-so download speeds from Apple Stores...certainly fast enough to stream the HQ stream, but not fast enough to have it uninterruptable by someone downloading a file elsewhere on the network.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>Is it worth the train ride to the city or should I just go to the Palisades store Applenut? Train ride only takes like 30 minutes.

Do they give out free cookies or anything?

Free food will get me anywhere.</strong><hr></blockquote>

probably won't be missing much if you go to the Palisades mall. there is only free coffee at the apple market center.

it's pretty cool though.

[quote]It would be so cool if the Apple Store employees coordinated with Steve's keynote. That's to say that when he introduced the new iMac, the employees would concurrently unveil it. That would definitely get me down there.

Or maybe a Steve-bot, who mimicks the exact motions and intonations of the real steve. It would be like seeing the real Steve... all across the country.<hr></blockquote>

I've only seen this happen nce. the MWSF 99 keynote where the B/W G3s and colored iMacs were released. the apple market center had all the pamplets, newspapers, etc and a B/W G3.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Congratulations sir on your new iMac purchase, here's the box, would you like me to carry it to your car for you?

SJ in Background- introducing the new iMac2, $500 cheaper, Superdrive, LCD, G4, shipping right now!

How does that work then?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    hey, for those in the minneapolis area, im at the apple store mall of america now, and i was told that they will be bringing the keynote in via sattelite. incidentally, does anyone know if it will be shown at the U of M campus like it was in July?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    MarkUK, it works exactly the way it has always worked. You buy the older model with all the rebates and special offers or you wait for the new models to arrive. That's why these incentives exist.