TiBook owners please read

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
alo alo...

A friend has the money to buy a TiBook but works in pretty rugged environments. i.e. he moves around a LOT, isnt exactly the most careful of human beings, goes from warm weather to cold, sometimes works outside, etc etc.

I told him that I couldnt really see the TiBook being mistreated that much and told him that maybe he should consider a decked out iBook seeing that it has polymer shell, rubber encased HD, and a bit more rugged all along... that is unless some of you TiBook owners tell me otherwise that its in fact a very rugged book that can be put through some hell.

It just looks so fragile to me and I've heard the titanium shell gets ruined very very easily.

Thanks

ZO

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    While Ti G4s aren't exactly rugged, I wouldn't call them fragile either. I would say they are less delicate than they appear/feel, but I would still treat them well.

Now if you're clumsy, or going to abuse the laptop in nasty environments then an iBook is the way to go. The iBooks are built like tanks. I wouldn't think twice about tossing an ibook on to my bed from the middle of the room -- something I can't say about the Ti G4s.

The performance difference is dependent upon what one plans to do however. I'm a PRO user so a G4 with a big screen is definately for me... but I also take care of my PB and give it the TLC it deserves. This includes cleaning it, keeping it in a nice padded case, and preventing KB marks on the screen by placing a cloth inside when the screen is closed. Now this may be overkill, but my Ti is in almost as good shape as when I bought it.

The price is a second issue. A tricked out iBook wouldn't cost more than $2000. But if you go the same route with a G4, you'll spend big money. (Granted the performance gain would be substantial, but again that touches on the previous issue)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>alo alo...

A friend has the money to buy a TiBook but works in pretty rugged environments. i.e. he moves around a LOT, isnt exactly the most careful of human beings, goes from warm weather to cold, sometimes works outside, etc etc.

I told him that I couldnt really see the TiBook being mistreated that much and told him that maybe he should consider a decked out iBook seeing that it has polymer shell, rubber encased HD, and a bit more rugged all along... that is unless some of you TiBook owners tell me otherwise that its in fact a very rugged book that can be put through some hell.

It just looks so fragile to me and I've heard the titanium shell gets ruined very very easily.

Thanks

ZO</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hell no.

It looks fragile and should be treated as such. Sinc I got my TiBook, the screen, the keyboard, the hard drive, a little plasic cover over the Right screen hinge and the monitor cable have all been replaced and this was in the first 3 months of getting it. luckily it has all been done under warranty, or it would be replaced with an iBook by now. AND it rarely leaves the house and is taken care of. But, oh well, who else can say their laptop has been in most of the 48 states (in shipping)? Another thing is that it scratches easily and now the DVD is acting up and crashing the computer. Heck, by the time all the bugs have been worked out it will be brand new.... ...And yes, it is taken care of, just fragile.

So, basically I would not reccomend it to anyone who often gets the urge to throw notebooks at the wall. I actually have never thrown mine at the wall. hehe.

It's fast though.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    ok, thanks. Basically this confirms my fears that the TiBook is more like an office/home portable (kinda like an oxymoron I must say).

He has to do some on the road video editing (nothing major), photoshopping, etc. But has a G4 setup at home. So I guess its more of a satellite for light/medium work.

Thanks again for feedback...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Sinc I got my TiBook, the screen, the keyboard, the hard drive, a little plasic cover over the Right screen hinge and the monitor cable have all been replaced and this was in the first 3 months of getting it.<hr></blockquote>

No way does that sound normal. Either you got a lemon, or your idea of "normal use" is playing frisbee with it while it's ripping MP3s to try and speed up the CD spinning...

They're not THAT fragile, but you're right, the iBooks are definitely more sturdy.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>Either you got a lemon, or your idea of "normal use" is playing frisbee with it while it's ripping MP3s to try and speed up the CD spinning...</strong><hr></blockquote>

lol
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Maybe a lemon, but definitely not abused in any way. My company gives away frisbees and such away for sales, so I am pretty ok in the frisbee department. Normal use for me is burning cds, web surfing and photoshop stuff, and it is always either nestled on my lap or on a desk, it has left the house to be shipped more than it has for me to use it outside of the house.

Does anyone know if the lemon law applies to laptops? I don't really know what else to do other than keep sending it in. It might be worth noting that it is a "low" serial number according to compusa so it is a rev. a early release, so maybe a later release of the same revision would have less issues.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The only thing bad that's happened to my Ti is that the back two rubber feet came off and I haven't gotten replacements yet.

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Xool ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Xool:

<strong>The only thing bad that's happened to my Ti is that the back two rubber feet came off and I haven't gotten replacements yet.

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Xool ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, yeah. That is one thing I forgot to mention is my rubber feet. The two back ones have fallen off.

Also, whats kind on funny is that I called Apple about getting a replacement keyboard, and was sent one a few days later, and then a few days after that I got another one, so now I have an extra keyboard. I called Apple and told them they sent me two and they said to just keep it in case I have problems again. I wish they would send me an extra Powerbook just in case I have any more problems
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Yeah the iBook is a really sweet computer...and durable. I have the old graphite colored one, and I am sure the new ones are even more durable than it. Deopending on what he is using it for, I cannot imagine there would be that much differenace in preformance.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>Yeah the iBook is a really sweet computer...and durable. I have the old graphite colored one, and I am sure the new ones are even more durable than it. Deopending on what he is using it for, I cannot imagine there would be that much differenace in preformance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep. I had a Graphite 366 iBook and I called it the wonder brick. It had been through so much and didn't have even a scratch on it when I sold it in "like new" Condition.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    My iBook is also a great little computer. I've had it since late June and I haven't had any problems related to hardware.

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>