Apple quietly releases more affordable MacBook Airs starting at $899 [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    saarek wrote: »
    £749 is a much better entry level price, it's just a shame they they continue to rip us off.

At £699 they'd be able to justify their whole "it costs us more to do business in the UK" line, but considering the US price with 20% added on top to account for the VAT that we pay is only £645 one can't help but feel screwed over by their greed.

Doubt the only cost differential is VAT. Marketing, advertising, delivery, compliance, retail space, labor... Practically every cost would average higher in the UK
  • Reply 22 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm a little underwhelmed by it.  I was hoping for a BTO option of 16GB Ram, Thunderbolt2, and a retina display.  Hmmm..... I will most likely pick something up by after summer... hopefully, there will be more to the rumor of a retina MBA in a few more months.  Until then, my 2011 MBA is still chugging away.

that's why I sprang for the pro...I may take it back in a week though.....

to get the better model.

• Reply 23 of 114
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

£749 is a much better entry level price, it's just a shame they they continue to rip us off.

At £699 they'd be able to justify their whole "it costs us more to do business in the UK" line, but considering the US price with 20% added on top to account for the VAT that we pay is only £645 one can't help but feel screwed over by their greed.

Apple is selling better machines at a lower price to what it had offered in the UK, yet this is a ripoff?

It does cost more to do business in the UK when you factor in: currency fluctuations, property prices, higher wage costs, much higher energy costs (electricity, fuel for heating, fuel for transport) , business rates and regulations, etc.

It's undeniable that MacBook Airs are more affordable to the UK purchaser this week compared to last week.

• Reply 24 of 114
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Apple should make a light (400 to 600 g) Mac, ... Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket. Always.

So zunx, you've come back as AppeX.

Finally take the blindfold off and see an iPod touch or iPhone, at 90 to 120g, together with Keynote and an AV cable, fit in your pocket and are great for presentations.

Drawing this reply back to relevancy, so's a MacBook Air.

• Reply 25 of 114
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Right, like an iPad. MBA is EOL...
    Um, no.
  • Reply 26 of 114
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    customtb wrote: »

Doubt the only cost differential is VAT. Marketing, advertising, delivery, compliance, retail space, labor... Practically every cost would average higher in the UK

And they pay more for everything and should be used to it by now. People in the EU and Australia can't wrap their heads around the fact that they have a higher cost of living.

Here is a tip for folks in the UK. You pay about 3x as much for gas (petrol). You get that under control and then you can start to worry about the small stuff.
  • Reply 27 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

You seemed focused on the difference between Apple prices in the US and UK. Perhaps you should widen your study to include other items' price differences too. Check out DSLR cameras by Canon and Nikon or Video Camcorders from Sony and so on. I think you would quickly discover virtually everything is less expensive in the US. Perhaps then you might start to realize what you see as an Apple specific, greed motivated vendetta against the UK as what it really is, that 'things' cost more in the UK than the USA most times.
  • Reply 28 of 114
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member

Don't forget that the MacBook Air is considered the entry level Mac for education and institutional buyers, replacing the old white plastic Macbook on the bottom end. Any price decrease makes these more attractive for certain buyers while any price increase to offset higher end components like Retina displays is only going to leave more buyers on the outside of the Apple ecosystem. Unfortunately buyers who are at the mercy of narrowly focused regime-aligned budgets often don't look at through-life costs and end up filling classrooms, and shortly thereafter, landfills with crapjunk PCs because the acquisition costs were 20% cheaper. So even though the MacBook Air is a wonderful machine for a huge population of customers, and even though it is still superior to most copycat PC wannabes with their 4+ lb "ultrabooks," it's still serving the cost sensitive market segment with several of the models. 

The Air may give the appearance of being delicate because it is so thin and light but it seems like a very mechanically solid machine. I've had far more problems with 5 lb plastic and stamped metal office targeted laptops (not mil-spec or ruggedized units) from other vendors. Some of these heavier plastic + steel units feel very rugged based on their extreme heft and the deepness of the shoulder ridges I get from carrying them in my backpack, but they still must be treated as fragile electronic devices. Ergonomically, using an Air on your lap with your feet up is a pleasure. Using a 5 lb PC on your lap with your feet up is torture even when the thing doesn't try to burn a hole in your thigh. Plus with the PC you'll probably need an external mouse too because PC trackpads are nearly universally horrible, unlike the ones on MacBooks.

It almost never makes sense to compare prices across international boundaries. There are way too many variables involved and you often have to throw sensibilities and logic entirely out the window. It rarely has as much at all to do with the actual product vendor than all of the other middlemen and government regulations that get in the way. I have a number of Chinese colleagues and when they visit the US the first thing they do is to go on big shopping sprees to purchase clothing - most of which is made in China or other parts of Asia, but available in the US for significantly less than what the same products cost in their country of origin. Go figure. 

• Reply 29 of 114
    wovel wrote: »
    And they pay more for everything and should be used to it by now. People in the EU and Australia can't wrap their heads around the fact that they have a higher cost of living.

Here is a tip for folks in the UK. You pay about 3x as much for gas (petrol). You get that under control and then you can start to worry about the small stuff.

Haha, we almost posted the exact same comment to 'Mr always whining'.

I was just reading an article last night that had a population and GDP comparison map for all countries. I was quite surprised how low the populations are and also the GDP of many countries I had always assumed would be higher on both, particularly the GDP. Countries like Canada and Australia for example, are in the same GDP range as Iran and Mexico yet we all know their standard of living is in another league. Hats off to these countries that do so well for their populations yet have a small numbers to support that standard of living. It probably does explain why many things are more expensive for them.
  • Reply 30 of 114

With the release of these updated Airs I doubt Apple will release a Retina Air this year.

I feel there is little physical difference between the 13 inch Retina Macbook Pro and the 13 inch MacBook Air.

The retina isn't tapered and a millimetre thicker than the Air's thickest point, 200g heavier (the weight of a large chocolate bar) and actually slightly narrower than the Air, yet it offers much more.

A retina Macbook Air this year will blur the lines too much between Air and rMBP and may be difficult to price accordingly.

I believe for a Retina Air to appear Apple will either have to discontinue the current 13 inch Air or add an extra Thunderbolt 2 port to the Retina Air and scrap the current 13" rMBP.

• Reply 31 of 114
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You seemed focused on the difference between Apple prices in the US and UK. Perhaps you should widen your study to include other items' price differences too. Check out DSLR cameras by Canon and Nikon or Video Camcorders from Sony and so on. I think you would quickly discover virtually everything is less expensive in the US. Perhaps then you might start to realize what you see as an Apple specific, greed motivated vendetta against the UK as what it really is, that 'things' cost more in the UK than the USA most times.

I don't think anyone is denying that the cost of business is higher in the UK or that Apple is the only company to add some form of mark-up to their products. It's the level of mark-up that's the issue. 

For example, the mark-up on a Canon 7D ($1299 ex. tax vs. £990 inc. tax on Amazon) is a little over 5%. The mark-up on the MBA is a little over 15%.

• Reply 32 of 114
    6toecat6toecat Posts: 51member

Shocked it doesn't have Thunderbolt 2 !

• Reply 33 of 114
    richl wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is denying that the cost of business is higher in the UK or that Apple is the only company to add some form of mark-up to their products. It's the level of mark-up that's the issue. 

For example, the mark-up on a Canon 7D ($1299 ex. tax vs. £990 inc. tax on Amazon) is a little over 5%. The mark-up on the MBA is a little over 15%.

Of course the mark up varies but the fact remains almost everything costs more. Cherry picking examples is pointless either showing more or less increase than Apple, as they both abound (don't look at petrol you will throw up). Believe me I know, I emigrated from the UK to the US. Not only are things way less expensive it is easier to earn far more here and pay less tax on top of that. Throw in endless days of blue sky, palm trees, kayaking year round in warm water and miles of white sandy beaches you can start to see why I did ... :smokey:

BTW, talking cameras, I am lusting after the new Sony FDR-AX100/B 4K Video Camera .... seen that yet?
  • Reply 34 of 114
    cgs268cgs268 Posts: 55member

hmmm not worth the upgrade I think ... 

I've been waiting for a Retina model on the Air so more waiting I suppose :)

• Reply 35 of 114
    6toecat wrote: »
    Shocked it doesn't have Thunderbolt 2 !

Good catch i missed that. That adds credence to the clearing old inventory theory I'd say.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member

The extended warranties cost money too. Apple doesn't have to offer that in the US.
  • Reply 37 of 114
    The extended warranties cost money too. Apple doesn't have to offer that in the US.

Not sure I understand what you mean there. Can you explain?
  • Reply 38 of 114
    A price drop? That's all? I was hoping for something more. These were great machines about two years ago. But today, the low-resolution displays and tiny SSD's are woefully inadequate. I'd gladly spend the extra $300 dollars for a 512GB SSD if the display were better. But to throw good money at an old design is not very wise.

We're back to the days of the "Road Apples." You know full well there will be something much better in just a few months. Please everyone, don't buy these crappy Mac's.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    A price drop? That's all? I was hoping for something more. These were great machines about two years ago. But today, the low-resolution displays and tiny SSD's are woefully inadequate. I'd gladly spend the extra $300 dollars for a 512GB SSD if the display were better. But to throw good money at an old design is not very wise.

We're back to the days of the "Road Apples." You know full well there will be something much better in just a few months. Please everyone, don't buy these crappy Mac's.

There is a good chance this is a pre new model clearance sale, so a good bargain for many that don't need the latest and greatest. Calling them crappy seems a little harsh.
  • Reply 40 of 114
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Um, no.

Um, yes.