Apple quietly releases more affordable MacBook Airs starting at $899 [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 114
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 6toecat View Post

Shocked it doesn't have Thunderbolt 2 !

I'm not, what are you doing on a MBA that would require TB2? Other than going out to an external display, I wonder how many people actually use the TB port as an actual TB port, not counting the Gigabit Enet adapter or FW800 adapter. I mean actually using it as a TB port to a TB device. 

• Reply 42 of 114
    The article is incorrect. Whilst the base model 1.3GHz is 100 MHz more (1.4GHz), the upgrade option previously and now remains the same 1.7 GHz core i7. So no change there.
  • Reply 43 of 114
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I don't think anyone is denying that the cost of business is higher in the UK or that Apple is the only company to add some form of mark-up to their products. It's the level of mark-up that's the issue. 

For example, the mark-up on a Canon 7D ($1299 ex. tax vs. £990 inc. tax on Amazon) is a little over 5%. The mark-up on the MBA is a little over 15%.

at least the gap has closed. The MBA had a $100 and £100 drop today so the UK had the better deal, although this is just down to the GBP strengthening against USD over the last coupe of months. Apple need to lower the prices of their other products, the 15% mark-up as you call it on the MBA is over 19% on the entry iMac for example.

• Reply 44 of 114
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Um, yes. 
    Based on what??
  • Reply 45 of 114
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    saarek wrote: »
    £749 is a much better entry level price, it's just a shame they they continue to rip us off.

At £699 they'd be able to justify their whole "it costs us more to do business in the UK" line, but considering the US price with 20% added on top to account for the VAT that we pay is only £645 one can't help but feel screwed over by their greed.

The greed of your government imposing the VAT. That's what I know you are referring to. After all, while visiting the U.S. you can buy one for the equivalent of only £535 (entry price of the 11" model). It's only when you attempt to bring that machine home that another entity (your government) nicks you for a significant additional amount. Is this not true?
  • Reply 46 of 114
    6toecat6toecat Posts: 51member

Well, I have a built-to-order MBA with 8Gb RAM and 2GHz CPU which I use to edit video. I can even do 4K video (tested with RED footage) so I'd want Thunderbolt 2 to do ProRES 4444. Yes, a MBP would suit these tasks better, but it's not as portable and it's heavier. I actually use the Thunderbolt to Ethernet too - to give better 2nd screen display on AppleTV. 

• Reply 47 of 114
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    My first thought is that they are dropping the price by $100 across the board to make room for the Retina MacBook Airs starting at $999/$1099 (to be announced at a later date of course).

That's my thought as well. And Apple can afford to do this with the existing machines as the R&D and manufacturing equipment has long been amortized.
  • Reply 48 of 114
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That's my thought as well. And Apple can afford to do this with the existing machines as the R&D and manufacturing equipment has long been amortized.
    I'm a little surprises they issued a press release for this. But maybe that's because of the price drop.
  • Reply 49 of 114
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

The key is portability, and now it is possible with the new Intel chips. Apple should make a light (400 to 600 g) Mac, as small as possible and whih whatever form factor (clamshell, slider or tablet). Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket. Always.

Already exists. Called the iPhone.

Originally Posted by TEAMSWITCHER View Post

A price drop? That's all?

No, but if you had read the article or visited Apple.com, you wouldn’t be spewing that nonsense.

• Reply 50 of 114
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    "With MacBook Air starting at $899, there's no reason to settle for anything less than a Mac.

Lots of reasons. An 11" notebook isn't going to work for a lot of people when they know Windows and can get a 15" notebook that has more and faster everything for less money.

saarek wrote: »
    £749 is a much better entry level price, it's just a shame they they continue to rip us off.

There is no fraud here. You can determine for yourself if this MBA fits your needs, then buy or not to buy as you see fit.

chia wrote: »
    With the release of these updated Airs I doubt Apple will release a Retina Air this year.

I'm thinking this is setting the stage for a new MBA and will surprised if there wasn't a major update later this year.
  • Reply 51 of 114
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm thinking this is setting the stage for a new MBA and will surprised if there wasn't a major update later this year.

Broadwell mass production has been kicked to Q1 2015, though.

• Reply 52 of 114
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Where's the damned mini refresh to Haswell/HD5000? :mad:

• Reply 53 of 114
    macxpress wrote: »
    rogifan wrote:
    Um, no
    Um, yes. 

Um, maybe?
  • Reply 54 of 114
    Broadwell mass production has been kicked to Q1 2015, though.

That's fine. I don't think Broadwell over Haswell offers major changes in the power envelope that would alter their next case design change. I'd like to see the MBA go to just a 12" model with an IPS Retina display. I'd also like it to lose Intel for ARM and drop in price another $100-200, but I'll keep that one on the back burner for now.
  • Reply 55 of 114
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's fine. I don't think Broadwell over Haswell offers major changes in the power envelope that would alter their next case design change. I'd like to see the MBA go to just a 12" model with an IPS Retina display.

But how well can the current slew of Iris handle retina panels?

• Reply 56 of 114
    ggfggf Posts: 42member
    Haha, we almost posted the exact same comment to 'Mr always whining'.

I was just reading an article last night that had a population and GDP comparison map for all countries. I was quite surprised how low the populations are and also the GDP of many countries I had always assumed would be higher on both, particularly the GDP. Countries like Canada and Australia for example, are in the same GDP range as Iran and Mexico yet we all know their standard of living is in another league. Hats off to these countries that do so well for their populations yet have a small numbers to support that standard of living. It probably does explain why many things are more expensive for them.

Check your facts
    If you look at GDP per capita Canada and Australia are not in the same range as Mexico or Iran
    In any case GDP per capita is not necessarily the best indicator anyway because of differences in income distribution

I suggest you look at median household income stats on Wikipedia
    These are a better guide to standard of living of people at the 50th percentile
  • Reply 57 of 114
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Jeez, is there no end to the whining coming from certain characters?

You'd think that Apple had raised the price by $100, instead of lowering it.

If you happen to live in some foreign country and products costs a little bit more, then either move (if you can afford a plane ticket), or deal with it. And if somebody can't afford an $899 Mac, then they should probably go back to school, get a better education, and eventually land a better paying job, because $899 is dirt cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if the beggar down the street from me can afford this new Macbook Air.

Apple products have never been cheaper.

• Reply 58 of 114
    But how well can the current slew of Iris handle retina panels?

I'd say very well for a customer that would be fine with a 12" display, 1.4GHz CULV CPU, 4GB, and 128GB SSD. Consider when Apple introduced the Retina MBPs in 2012 they came with an Intel 4000 iGPU and these have an Intel 500 iGPU and we're talking about a lower resolution than both the 13" and 15" Retina MBPs.
  • Reply 59 of 114
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Can anyone confirm that the prices got reduced on the Canadian site? It seems like they're exactly the same as before.

Confirmed: Prices didn't budge in Canadian store. We get fucked as usual.
  • Reply 60 of 114
    slurpy wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that the prices got reduced on the Canadian site? It seems like they're exactly the same as before. We get fucked as usual.

They are the same… right now. Hasn't Canadian's prices often dropped later in the days or days later for some unknown reason?