Samsung reports second quarterly drop in profits, blames premium phone sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's the beginning of the end!

It's the killing of the dinosaurs all over again...

• Reply 42 of 74
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,424member
    @brandon powell Does Samsung pay you a flat fee or per post?
  • Reply 43 of 74
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    freediverx wrote: »

It's per IQ point.

It's not a high paying job.

;)
  • Reply 44 of 74
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

It funny when ever I see a title that has something bad to do with Samsung/Google/Android its 9/10 written by DED.

Almost as funny as the steady drivel of pro-Samsung Astroturfing we get from you.

• Reply 45 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Almost as funny as the steady drivel of pro-Samsung Astroturfing we get from you.

I am sorry im not the one dimensional type of person whose anti-anyone not apple. I love tech not just one singular company. 
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

It's per IQ point.

It's not a high paying job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

• Reply 47 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I was pissed after buying the 3rd gen iPad only to have it replaced 6 months later with the 4th gen, at the time that seemed like a money grab. If I had known about the 4th gen I would have waited for it.

Having said that, I still have my 3rd gen and it is still running great.
    How do you figure it was a money grab? I had a 3rd gen too and it ran great so I didn't feel cheated. Still got decent money for it when I sold it to upgrade to the Air.
  • Reply 48 of 74
    amoradalaamoradala Posts: 146member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think it would be unlikely for Samsung to be cooking the books in any illegal sense, but they definitely are arranging end-of-quarter sales to help make the quarter look better on paper. The problem is that it all comes to a head so any "sales" that become "refunds" will eventually be counted. Apple surely does the same thing but their small number of products and short inventory coupled with their high demands means it's minimal.

A large tech company cooking books ?
    That could never happen . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_scandal
  • Reply 49 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You don't see critical Apple news stories on mainstream media sites? Then you must be fucking blind, purposely obtuse, or a troll. Probably all 3, going by your previous posts. 

Exactly.  Samsung paid shills seem to infest this forum!

• Reply 50 of 74
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

• Reply 51 of 74
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

As amusing as the Samsung bubble bursting is to watch, calling this a quarterly loss is quite a bit of a stretch. They did still manage to make $8.2 BILLION (with a B).

Quarterly drop YoY =/= Quarterly loss

Yes, but it makes for a better sound bite.  Unfortunately while they probably think their wordcraft makes them brilliant, it just makes most of what they write far less credible.  I don't imagine DED will stay consistent and start reporting Apple as having taken a $5.2 billion dollar loss in 2013?

If you remove the pro-Apple and anti-Samsung bias from it though, Samsungs quarterly 3% drop and Apples yearly 11% drop last year does show that the 100%+ growth days of the high end of the smart phone market are over.

• Reply 52 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Just imagine the backlash Apple would have if they dropped 3.3% and announced it was from weakening iPhone sales.

Why imagine it when you can see it?  Apple reported a loss of $5.2 billion in profits between 2013 and 2012.  Over 11%.

The backlash was that their stock price went up =)

(In case you didn't read earlier posts, I don't really consider an operating profit of $49 billion to be a loss, but it is quite a bit less than $54 billion and I'm staying consistent with AI math)

• Reply 53 of 74
    softekysofteky Posts: 137member
    [quote]The drop was blamed on slowing high-end smartphone and *flat screen* sales.
    [/quote]

Perhaps Samsung will fix this by copying Apple and release some rounded screen phones :-)
  • Reply 54 of 74
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Yes, but it makes for a better sound bite.  Unfortunately while they probably think their wordcraft makes them brilliant, it just makes most of what they write far less credible.  I don't imagine DED will stay consistent and start reporting Apple as having taken a $5.2 billion dollar loss in 2013?

If you remove the pro-Apple and anti-Samsung bias from it though, Samsungs quarterly 3% drop and Apples yearly 11% drop last year does show that the 100%+ growth days of the high end of the smart phone market are over.

I agree that the profit growth rate of the "high end" is slowing, but the picture of these financials is that Samsung has lost its profit growth, perhaps has even peaked in its profits, while Apple's is if anything poised for a rebound. 

• Reply 55 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    amoradala wrote: »
    A large tech company cooking books ?
    That could never happen . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_scandal

Oh, I didn't say it's impossible, only that's it's unlikely,especially for a company that is making a lot of profit. But could all that profit be part of a second accounting ledger that's fake while they are really in the red every quarter? No, it can't. That would be possible given the numbers they are working with.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

I am sorry im not the one dimensional type of person whose anti-anyone not apple. I love tech not just one singular company.

I love tech too, which is why I appreciate the cutting edge 64 bit greatness of my current smartphone.

Unfortunately such an advanced smartphone is only available from one company.

• Reply 57 of 74
    gyozgyoz Posts: 2member
    Samsung is being more and more eaten by the Chinese smartphone brands. Expect a more difficult time for them as the market will split more in september with Apple having the premium with iPhones 6 and Samsung need to compete with cheaper asian brands.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    I was pissed after buying the 3rd gen iPad only to have it replaced 6 months later with the 4th gen, at the time that seemed like a money grab. If I had known about the 4th gen I would have waited for it.

Having said that, I still have my 3rd gen and it is still running great.

Difference is the iPods were different gens and not a cosmetic change.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I love tech too, which is why I appreciate the cutting edge 64 bit greatness of my current smartphone.

Unfortunately such an advanced smartphone is only available from one company.

What I don't get is the people who only want a single company to exist, there is nothing wrong with having options. When it comes to mobile, for me its Android. After they announced 64 bit processor, it was funny to see everyone scramble to catch up(and still trying). Apple rarely, if ever, has to play catch up.

On the subject of the 64 bit though; no doubt it add some speed and performance, isn't it only beneficial for graphically intense applications? correct me if im wrong

• Reply 60 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

I agree that the profit growth rate of the "high end" is slowing, but the picture of these financials is that Samsung has lost its profit growth, perhaps has even peaked in its profits, while Apple's is if anything poised for a rebound. 

I think 'sales growth' is slowing.  Profit growth for both Samsung and Apple, long run, is already flat to negative.  Apple sold a record number of devices in 2013, but made considerably less profit doing it.  I think Apple is doing extremely well do maintain flat or even slightly profits for 2014- I don't believe they'll get back to 2012 profitability in 2014.  Samsung I believe is in trouble without a really good way to paddle out.  Number of sales will decline, and their margins will decline.  China is attacking them from the bottom, and Apple is applying pressure with larger phones.  Tizen might be a novelty, but it is going to have a WP7esque battle getting started.

Apple on the other hand will face lowering sales in the long run, because like PC's in the 80's people will get to a point they just don't need to upgrade every year.  I think the exception is going to be 2015 (mostly because Q4 of 2014 falls into Apple's fiscal 2015).  I think the larger screen iPhones are going to be an absolute cash cow for Apple.  Apple can raise the price substantially and iPhone users will gladly pay.  For those that won't so 'gladly' pay- they'll pay anyway.   Most are already too heavily invested in the ecosystem to switch, and wouldn't want to even without that.

I think Apple phones themselves are great, but from the financial side the only thing that could thwart the above are how subsidies play out.  I think Apple will still have enough 'user clout' to squeeze another round of subsidies out of carriers- and could even get some to up their subsidies.  The threat is if there is even one holdout (T-mobile?), that holdout will be able to offer plans much less expensive than those that have to offer subsidies. If that delta gets big enough, people buying less expensive phones will migrate to the less expensive carriers and the whole subsidy system relies on the people buying cheap phones to pay the expensive plan fees to cover the subsidies.  I don't think this will be the year that happens, but when it does Apple is going to take a substantial financial hit.