The Official AI-EXPO Shutdown Countdown

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The really big question for the upcoming MWSF is when will these boards lock up, and for how long?

Has AI upgraded their servers from the UMAX C500 running 180MHz 603e?

Will the expo be followed by months of silence from AI?

I'm going to guess that they shut down for the whole expo, starting about 20 minutes into SJ's keynote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    My bet is all will stay standing... they HAVE upgraded servers... Why do you think you're posting here?

The forum is a lot stronger than it was back before AI went down south for a while. I expect it to hold fast and strong.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 2 of 14
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I'm guessing it will go down because they will want all available bandwidth going to the front page.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Front page = on different server.

And why would we want bandwidth going there?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Jon, he means the MWSF live update page, not the AI main page (I think).

The page we do the live updates on is very small in size (because it's text-only), and bandwidth problems have never been an issue in the past, it's been that the server loads skyrocketed (few years ago, MacNN Forums traffic caused a P2/350 to hit load averages in the 150 range).

I'm confident the boards can stay up through the keynote, however, but hey, you never know -- there's a feverish excitement surrounding this year's Expo.

Besides, shutting the boards off does not help with the bandwidth issue (much) since people just keep refreshing the closed forum page to get in when it's open.

-gzl.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    markmark Posts: 143member
    Omigod - there's an AI Expo?? :confused:

When? Where? Who's doing the keynote?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think you guys will all be surprised and AI will stay up.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    why is that?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebagakid:

<strong>why is that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Because I just have confidence in the new server and that it can handle all the traffic.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    trust the great people of ai. they are never wrong. the forums shall prevail!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I hope it stays up... It has always been the cloud to the silver lining of most expos that I can't come in here and jump and shout (or swear).
  • Reply 11 of 14
    All I'm hoping for is that there WILL NOT be a billion threads like "OMG do you guys see what he's demoing now!?"

Keep all Expo chat in the AI Java Chat or on your respective IM programs... Dumb threads plague this board during expos.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 12 of 14
    [quote]Because I just have confidence in the new server and that it can handle all the traffic.<hr></blockquote>

Oh, wait, is that a challenge? Hmm, maybe somebody will have to submit an AI article to Slashdot on the day of the keynote.

(Just kidding!)
  • Reply 13 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr.Potatohead:

<strong>

Oh, wait, is that a challenge? Hmm, maybe somebody will have to submit an AI article to Slashdot on the day of the keynote.

(Just kidding!) </strong><hr></blockquote>

Perhaps if AI really had something to say... akin to: "Apple's New Revolutionary Product Revieled -- Photos Inside!"
  • Reply 14 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr.Potatohead:

<strong>

(Just kidding!) </strong><hr></blockquote>

This server's been Slashdotted before. *shrug*