Apple quietly releases more affordable MacBook Airs starting at $899 [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 114
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Did you really expect Apple to drop a retina MacBook Air via silent update on the apple store? I see this as clearing the deck for new stuff and the update was minor enough that it could be announced this way.

Of course not... There was talk about the MBA's getting an "update" within a week.  One never knows really what Apple was up to... One could hope... :)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kfury77 View Post

Sounds like you should be looking at getting a Macbook Pro, not a Macbook Air.

I considered it.... I take my MBA everywhere I go when going to/from client sites.  I also drive a motorcycle every day.  I used a Macbook Pro for about a week (configuring it for a friend) and as as much as I liked it, the weight difference was substantial enough that I could really feel the weight of it on my motorbike and carrying it around all day.  I'm a gym-rat, and quite strong... but that extra weight adds up as the day goes on.  

The MBA horsepower-wise is fine.  It's only a business-machine.  It does see duty as a Windows-machine via VMware, so the extra memory (mine has 4GB) would come in handy.  8GB is fine, but with today's tech... 8GB should be standard, and 16GB should be the upgrade.

Nonetheless, these are solid updates to an already fantastic machine.  I can hold out with mine for a little longer.

• Reply 82 of 114
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    The best laptop on the market, period! I wish it had a Retina display.
  • Reply 83 of 114
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jume View Post

The best laptop on the market, period! I wish it had a Retina display.

You mean its the best next gen Netbook? 

• Reply 84 of 114
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    macxpress wrote: »

Netbooks arose because of the cheap, low-power Atom CPU. The MBA's CPUs historically have had list price for around $280 to $360. That's more than an entire netbook and those Core processors are considerably faster and have more features than any Atom CPU.
  • Reply 85 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

No for me MBA is the definition of laptop. Portable computer that offers great portability and enough power to do most of the tasks on the go. It's light, slim and robust. I couldn't have find a better laptop then 13'' MBA. It's perfect!

• Reply 86 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Netbooks arose because of the cheap, low-power Atom CPU. The MBA's CPUs historically have had list price for around $280 to $360. That's more than an entire netbook and those Core processors are considerably faster and have more features than any Atom CPU.

I know what netbooks are...the MBA is the next gen of netbooks. Ultrabooks are just next gen netbooks. iPads will replace them...

• Reply 87 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jume View Post

No for me MBA is the definition of laptop. Portable computer that offers great portability and enough power to do most of the tasks on the go. It's light, slim and robust. I couldn't have find a better laptop then 13'' MBA. It's perfect!

And it doesn't do anything an iPad can't. 

• Reply 88 of 114
    macxpress wrote: »
    I know what netbooks are...the MBA is the next gen of netbooks. Ultrabooks are just next gen netbooks. iPads will replace them...

There is nothing "next gen" about a notebook that goes to being a $200-300 Atom-based (or equivalent) system to a $600-1500 Core-based system. The MBA is ultra-light notebook that is responsible for the Ultrabook branding by Intel. Calling that chip a netbook when it can do so much more than basic access to the Net is like saying Michael Jordan is just a guy that puts a ball in a ring.
  • Reply 89 of 114
    Quote:

Whatever that means but don't compare productivity of iPad to MBA because it doesn't even come close...

• Reply 90 of 114
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    There is a good chance this is a pre new model clearance sale

I don't think they'd have bothered updating the spec if that was the case, especially not if it was a short-term thing. Maybe they'll do what they did with the MBP line when transitioning to Retina models and keep them on sale for a while but have the Retina models higher priced. They could introduce a single Retina 12" Air with 128GB SSD starting around $200 higher than the entry Air at $1099. If it's just one model, they could even switch the old cMBP slot out for the Retina Air at $1199 but then it conflicts with the section. It would be good if the rMBP line just dropped $100 and eliminated the cMBP. Thunderbolt 2 would be a selling point for a Retina Air as it will support a Retina Thunderbolt display.
  • Reply 91 of 114
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    suspect the 12 inch is an ARM/iOS based macbook...maybe called macbook cloud rather than macbook air. will be a different niche than the current intel based macbook air targets. kind of like a chrome book. apple will sell it for $800 for 64gb.
  • Reply 92 of 114
    Predictions go start threw, 12 inch (retina)at $1200 could be coming soon as these are now cheaper(amazing now $200 lower then last years price.
  • Reply 93 of 114
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Except run windows.

Or Java.

Or Pixelmator

Or drive my 29" display at 2560 x 1080

Or XCode

Or connect to my RAID array

Or connect via Ethernet

Or run Steam and my steam games

Or run FCP

Or a gazillion other things that I won't bother listing.

• Reply 94 of 114
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I don't think they'd have bothered updating the spec if that was the case, especially not if it was a short-term thing. Maybe they'll do what they did with the MBP line when transitioning to Retina models and keep them on sale for a while but have the Retina models higher priced. They could introduce a single Retina 12" Air with 128GB SSD starting around $200 higher than the entry Air at $1099. If it's just one model, they could even switch the old cMBP slot out for the Retina Air at $1199 but then it conflicts with the section. It would be good if the rMBP line just dropped $100 and eliminated the cMBP. Thunderbolt 2 would be a selling point for a Retina Air as it will support a Retina Thunderbolt display.

In a way he is right, since no production line changes are necessary in this case. It's probably a result of chipset necessity and not a deliberate "let's give this a bump" upgrade.

In other words, just clearing the line for an early-2015 Retina release. Unless absolutely desperate, I wouldn't touch these "bumped" MBAs with a 10-meter pole...
  • Reply 95 of 114
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

In a way he is right, since no production line changes are necessary in this case. It's probably a result of chipset necessity and not a deliberate "let's give this a bump" upgrade.

In other words, just clearing the line for an early-2015 Retina release. Unless absolutely desperate, I wouldn't touch these "bumped" MBAs with a 10-meter pole...

Because a April 2014 model replacing a June 2013 model is just "clearing the line" for a machine you expect early-2015?  

These are only "clearing the line" if you expect a retina MBA announcement at the 2014 WWDC and not sometime in 2015 early or late.

• Reply 96 of 114
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    The extended warranties cost money too. Apple doesn't have to offer that in the US.

Not sure I understand what you mean there. Can you explain?

Buying consumer electronics in the UK gets you a Multi-year warranty by law. I think it is something like 3-4 years. Apple only provides a one year limited warranty in the US. I think most of the EU is at least two years. That costs Apple more money to do business there as a result and they do pass the costs on to the consumer.
  • Reply 97 of 114
    Quote:

Lots of reasons. An 11" notebook isn't going to work for a lot of people when they know Windows and can get a 15" notebook that has more and faster everything for less money.

There is no fraud here. You can determine for yourself if this MBA fits your needs, then buy or not to buy as you see fit.

I'm thinking this is setting the stage for a new MBA and will surprised if there wasn't a major update later this year.

Except I don't really believe that this price change was meant as a competitive dig at 15" Windows laptops. I believe it was a direct shot to the heart of this....

• Reply 98 of 114
    Except I don't really believe that this price change was meant as a competitive dig at 15" Windows laptops. I believe it was a direct shot to the heart of this….

[image]

I don't see that as being likely as I don't see any of the MS Surfaces taking away from Apple's sales, at least in such quantity that Apple believes losing $100 of profit on each MBA is an advantageous move. I think it probably has to do with a drop of component prices coupled with an EOL model type on its last hurrah.
  • Reply 99 of 114
    Quote:

I don't see that as being likely as I don't see any of the MS Surfaces taking away from Apple's sales, at least in such quantity that Apple believes losing $100 of profit on each MBA is an advantageous move. I think it probably has to do with a drop of component prices coupled with an EOL model type on its last hurrah.

I totally agree with you that there's no evidence en masse that Surfaces are taking away sales from Apple, but I also believe that Apple wouldn't wait until that was the case. I believe they would be way more offensive about it to finish nipping up any "would-be's." I also think that there's a little bit more to do with it than a drop of component prices, because like you said why would Apple just decide to lose $100? If component prices dropped and they aren't losing any sales then why drop prices at all? Why not use that to increase margins? To sum it all up, I don't see it as a "Oh crap we better do something to save ourselves" move. I see it as a "If these guys even thought for a second that they had a chance...." move. 

• Reply 100 of 114
    I totally agree with you that there's no evidence en masse that Surfaces are taking away sales from Apple, but I also believe that Apple wouldn't wait until that was the case. I believe they would be way more offensive about it to finish nipping up any "would-be's." I also think that there's a little bit more to do with it than a drop of component prices, because like you said why would Apple just decide to lose $100? If component prices dropped and they aren't losing any sales then why drop prices at all? Why not use that to increase margins? To sum it all up, I don't see it as a "Oh crap we better do something to save ourselves" move. I see it as a "If these guys even thought for a second that they had a chance...." move. 

I see your point about if not having to drop prices with lower component costs if they do own the market, and they did lower the price on the iPods "coincidently" right before the Zune launched so perhaps there is something to that.