Photos show highly suspect 'iPhone 6' dummy with ultra-slim design, rounded edges

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
A trio of photos posted to Chinese forum on Tuesday claim to show a mock-up or dummy model "iPhone 6" with an ultra-slim design and features that line up nicely with previous rumors and "leaks."

Source: Feng.com

After a dubious computer rendering of Apple's so-called "iPhone 6" made the rounds last week, photos of a similarly suspect dummy model have been posted to Chinese Apple forum Feng.com and spotted by nowhereelse.fr.

From what can be gathered, the black plastic object seen above is supposedly a mold meant for prototyping phone cases. The person who posted the pictures did not offer specific dimensions or include current-generation iPhones for scale and it is unclear if the dummy was fashioned before or after the recent spate of rumors.

The purported mock-up boasts features seen in other recent "leaks" like a silicone-rubber case that was the subject of a side-by-side video comparison with the iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 and Galaxy Note 3. In a follow-up video, it was discovered that the case itself is thinner than the 7.6-millimeter iPhone 5s, suggesting Apple's upcoming handset could be substantially slimmed down.

Finally, the dummy features the rounded edges and longer pill-shaped volume buttons mentioned in yet another rumor from last week, giving it an overall design akin to an iPad mini or the new iPad Air.

The alleged prototyping tool raises red flags with a protruding rear-facing camera and round cutout presumably meant to house an LED flash. This "old style" flash, first seen on a rumored iPhone 6 prototype chassis in March, is particularly curious given Apple's move to the two-color dual-LED True Tone module used in the iPhone 5s.

While the mock-up's veracity is highly questionable, it does give a good idea as to what the iPhone 6 could look like if information from the rumor mill turns out to be true.

Apple is expected to launch the next-generation iPhone lineup in the third quarter and is rumored to be prepping two new models, both with substantially larger screen sizes. According to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a reliable track record in predicting Apple's hardware moves, the company is looking to debut a 4.7-inch model ahead of a 5.5-inch "phablet" style device this fall, the latter of which may be delayed until late 2014 due to screen supply constraints.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Back looks curved too. I'm 99% committed to buying the next iPhone as my contract will be up.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    I believe that's an iPod. I also believe that iphone will be the rumored 4.7 and the iPod would be 5.5, provided those are the correct specs according to rumors.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    mstone wrote: »
    Yeah, me too. I found the rumors last year (about fingerprint scanners & such) when I was not in the market, to be more enticing than these giant mockups. I wouldn't mind a little more screen real estate, but I don't really want something too big for my jeans...
  • Reply 4 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realcool View Post

I believe that's an iPod. I also believe that iphone will be the rumored 4.7 and the iPod would be 5.5, provided those are the correct specs according to rumors.

Not sure about whether it is an iPod or iPhone but I did some measuring in Photoshop. I measured my thumb from knuckle to tip, but I have pretty large hands so I reduced the 'guestimate' a bit and this is what I came up with.

• Reply 5 of 74
    That looks big. Too big, IMO. My contract is up in June and this iPhone 4 is getting long in the tooth, but I don't know if I want that big.

Kinda hope we get a 6 that's still a 4" model.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    I'm hoping this is what this 5.5" rumor turns out to be just so they don't call it an iPhone

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/42502/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Or just iPad nano. A 4.7" I think I can live with but I sincerely hope there is a new 4" option and not just last year's 5s/5c. I want a new model 4" phone. Everyone else can have the 4.7"/5.5".
  • Reply 7 of 74
    DASSIT
  • Reply 8 of 74
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    The lousy tight blue jeans are total ugly designs with small pockets. I don't like small pockets in the tight blue jeans. I wish they should not making tight pants with lousy small pockets.
  • Reply 9 of 74

Am I the only one who hopes the next iPhone is NOT this thin?   Looks like a cracker.

• Reply 10 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ugh, I hope this is fake, please don't copy Samsung with some silly phablet Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I wonder which moron case makers have already started to produce cases for this thing.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    C'mon, it's a piece of plastic based on rumors. It doesn't reinforce any rumors because it was created by those rumors. Get it? And neither do any cases made from this blank.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ugh, I hope this is fake, please don't copy Samsung with some silly phablet Apple.

At this point, AppleInsider has invested soooo much in Ming-chi Kuo's reputation and word, they would literally collapse if Apple didn't sell this monstrosity as the so-called iPhone 6. They would have to use DED's memory hole to protect their brains from the cognitive dissonance. :)
  • Reply 14 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I wonder which moron case makers have already started to produce cases for this thing.
    probably all of them.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    By the way with all of these leaks, who here thinks that there will be an early iPhone release?
  • Reply 16 of 74
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

If Apple does release a large phone, I hope they learn from the competition and don't have rounded edges.  The Note 1 had rounded edges and it forces your fingers slightly more open.  On a large phone that makes it that much less solidly grasped.  I switched from that to the Note 3 and they squared off the edges and serated them.  It makes a world of difference and its one of those subtle but important differences I'd expect Apple's attention to detail to catch.

With a smaller phone, 'graspability' isn't an issue.  With a larger one it is, but for me it is well worth it for the benefits of a larger screen.

• Reply 17 of 74
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    Maybe all these leaks are for the next iPod Touch?
  • Reply 18 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

By the way with all of these leaks, who here thinks that there will be an early iPhone release?

I hope so, my contract is up in June and I'm hoping we get it at WWDC. I've had the 4 long enough.

• Reply 19 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

A real iPhone 4 was stolen by Gizmodo. Apple didn’t release it early.

• Reply 20 of 74
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

These leaks are from Samsung as they try to manipulate expectations surrounding the iPhone 6.