Photos show highly suspect 'iPhone 6' dummy with ultra-slim design, rounded edges

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

By the way with all of these leaks, who here thinks that there will be an early iPhone release?

It does seem very strange. Maybe it's a controlled leak to establish mindshare early on, meant to adversely affect sales of samsung's and HTC's newly released or soon to be released phones, but too far removed from the iPhone's regular fall release to have an adverse impact on it.

• Reply 22 of 74
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the company is looking to debut a 4.7-inch model ahead of a 5.5-inch "phablet" style device this fall, the latter of which may be delayed until late 2014 due to screen supply constraints.

They just couldn't resist the "supply constraints" comment. It seems like for every new product release, there have to be a million mentions of why it will go badly due to supply constraints. Yawn.

• Reply 23 of 74
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ugh, I hope this is fake, please don't copy Samsung with some silly phablet Apple.

Apple offers different screen sizes on their laptops, iMacs, iPads, and iPods -yet if they do the same with their phones they're "copying Samsung"? What an absurd, childish mentality, as Samsung has a patent on smartphone screen sizes. If they offer another size, it will have nothing to do with Samsung and everything to do with expanding their product line. They could have "copied" larger sized phones years ago if they actually wanted to.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slurpy wrote: »
    They could have "copied" larger sized phones years ago if they actually wanted to.

Nope. Not possible. Apple had to reverse engineer from Samsung how to use a larger display in a phone. And don't mention the larger displays in the Macs, their desktop displays or iPads because those don't count but I can't tell why they don't count because it's a secret¡
  • Reply 25 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Apple offers different screen sizes on their laptops, iMacs, iPads, and iPods -yet if they do the same with their phones they're "copying Samsung"? What an absurd, childish mentality, as Samsung has a patent on smartphone screen sizes. If they offer another size, it will have nothing to do with Samsung and everything to do with expanding their product line. They could have "copied" larger sized phones years ago if they actually wanted to.

The funny thing is that Apple never said they would not do a bigger phone. Tim Cook said that the trade-offs for a bigger screen were not acceptable as they compromised key factors in the User experience.

It goes without saying that as with everything, they would get around to doing it when they knew they could do it without too many compromises.

• Reply 26 of 74
    Tim Cook said that the trade-offs for a bigger screen were not acceptable as they compromised key factors in the User experience.

A lot of people don't believe there were any trade offs. There reasoning, just like with netbooks, is, "If blah blah can do it then so can Apple." They aren't looking at the tradeoffs that are part of all technology. Thankfully Apple doesn't give in to gimmicky and/or half-assed solutions simply because a vocal minority wants it, like fingerprint scanners years ago, or because it's momentary popular, like the netbook. They waited and perfected Touch ID and the iPad, respectively.

So the question remains: What is Apple waiting for? More efficient display tech and/or smaller bezel option with IGZO? Higher res display which means the iOS UI and Xcode to be updated? Some other internal technology not yet available, like a digitizer without having a dramatic impact on device cost? Something else(s) entirely?
  • Reply 27 of 74
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Recent studies show that holding your phone next to your head does impact your brain and DNA:

1. http://www.mobilitytechzone.com/topics/4g-wirelessevolution/articles/2014/04/29/377325-cell-phone-radiation-causes-dna-damage-says-several.htm

2. http://rinf.com/alt-news/breaking-news/30-minutes-exposure-to-4g-cell-phone-radiation-affects-brain-activity-new-study/

A solution is to use a headset.

So, if we are going to use our phone in a different way than there is a place for a 5.5" iPhablet. Holding your phone next to your head is not done if you care about your well being.

Anyway. I am taking this very serious. I want to hear an explanation from Apple. I am not spending 800€ for a device that puts my well being at risk. No matter how cool that device is. A feature phone and iPod Touch look like the best alternative to me. I can't see myself fiddling with a headset.

• Reply 28 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Recent studies show that holding your phone next to your head does impact your brain and DNA:

1. http://www.mobilitytechzone.com/topics/4g-wirelessevolution/articles/2014/04/29/377325-cell-phone-radiation-causes-dna-damage-says-several.htm

2. http://rinf.com/alt-news/breaking-news/30-minutes-exposure-to-4g-cell-phone-radiation-affects-brain-activity-new-study/

So, if we are going to use our phone in a different way than there is a place for a 5.5" iPhablet. Holding your phone next to your head is not done if you care about your well being.

Anyway. I am taking this very serious. I want to hear an explanation from Apple. I am not spending 800€ for a device that puts my well being at risk. No matter how cool that device is. A feature phone and iPod Touch look like the best alternative to me. I can't see myself fiddling with a headset.

In short: we'll soon be talking to our phones. FaceTime style.

The phone interface needs to be redesigned. It should look like FaceTime if two users have a camera. If not, it should be just a picture you're talking to?

• Reply 29 of 74
    mr o wrote: »

Anyway. I am taking this very serious. I want to hear an explanation from Apple. I am not spending 800€ to a device that puts my well being at stake. No matter how cool that device is. A feature phone and iPod Touch look like the best alternative to me. I can't see myself fiddling with a headset.

1) Those sites don't scream objectivity to me. Do you have any links from a well known site, preferably one that science-based?

2) If cellphone radiation damages the brain they why in the world would you get a feature phone, especially when you can simply use a headset or headphones. Why would you also limit your inability to use cellular internet on the go? Do you think you'll get finger cancer by typing on the touchscreen? That and your 800€ make no sense when you've clearly stated a solution but instead want to put yourself at more risk and make your life less convenient.

In short: we'll soon be talking to our phones. FaceTime style.

The phone interface needs to be redesigned. It should look like FaceTime if two users have a camera. If not, it should be just a picture you're talking to?

1) Quoting what you just wrote to then say "in short" is not very short.

2) FaceTime has absolutely nothing to do with your previous comment so using it as an additional post as a conclusion makes no sense.

3) Do you know how FaceTime works? It uses data. Lots of it for the entire direction of the audio and visual connection. There are few times when you push your device's radio any harder or longer than when using it for an A/V VoIP call.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Those sites don't scream objectivity to me. Do you have any links from a well known site, preferably one that science-based?

2) If cellphone radiation damages the brain they why in the world would you get a feature phone, especially when you can simply use a headset or headphones. Why would you also limit your inability to use cellular internet on the go? Do you think you'll get finger cancer by typing on the touchscreen? That and your 800€ make no sense when you've clearly stated a solution but instead want to put yourself at more risk and make your life less convenient.

One of the studies is commissioned by the European Union. What I worry about is Apple not telling us otherwise. We're just test dummies experimenting with state of the art technologies. No one knows the long term consequences.

What Apple could do is encourage us to change the way we use our phone. I see a bigger future for FaceTime. It is making use of internet technology and encouraging us to speak to our phone instead of holding it next to our head.

Yes. I do miss the mobile internet on my iPod Touch.

• Reply 31 of 74
    ]What I worry about is Apple not telling us otherwise.

No company will lose more in the public eye than Apple if there is any perceived issue. Remember Antenna Gate?
    We're just test dummies experimenting with state of the art technologies.

No we're not. Each new device has to be tested by whatever board each state requires. This is the law.
    No one knows the long term consequences.

Sure they do. Cell phones have been around and in use for a very long time. Apple didn't invent the cell phone so their 7 years on the market isn't the data set we have.
    What Apple could do is encourage us to change the way we use our phone.

No one has done more to change the way we use our phone than Apple. In fact, they are in court over Samsung taking that way and using it without permission.
    I see a bigger future for FaceTime.

1) I know a lot of people that use it, although I personally prefer to use iMessage or email simply because it's more efficient. People call me via FaceTime and tend to hit cancel and then send them back an iMessage asking what's up.

2) I can see FaceTime getting more popular but I don't foresee some Jetsons-like future where all calls are video-based. It's just to invasive to be replace any current tech.. With a phone call you pop a headphone in one ear and do other things, but I even find that to be too inefficient as the other person expects me to reply in a more timely manner which makes multitasking more difficult. I tend to do my outgoing calls in the car with my hands-free system.
    It is making use of internet technology and encouraging us to speak to our phone instead of holding it next to our head.

Again, your concerns have absolutely no barring on you ability to use your device without putting it up to your ear.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    A lot of people don't believe there were any trade offs. There reasoning, just like with netbooks, is, "If blah blah can do it then so can Apple." They aren't looking at the tradeoffs that are part of all technology. Thankfully Apple doesn't give in to gimmicky and/or half-assed solutions simply because a vocal minority wants it, like fingerprint scanners years ago, or because it's momentary popular, like the netbook. They waited and perfected Touch ID and the iPad, respectively.

So the question remains: What is Apple waiting for? More efficient display tech and/or smaller bezel option with IGZO? Higher res display which means the iOS UI and Xcode to be updated? Some other internal technology not yet available, like a digitizer without having a dramatic impact on device cost? Something else(s) entirely?
    These are my questions. Why is 2014 the year for a bigger iPhone but not 2012 or 2013?
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Sorry that's how it's going to play out in the media, especially if they do some silly phablet. Unless Apple surprises us with something no one was expecting there will be questions as to why now and not 2 years ago. What were the so-called tradeoffs Tim Cook talked about and how did Apple solve for them?
  • Reply 34 of 74
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

These are my questions. Why is 2014 the year for a bigger iPhone but not 2012 or 2013?

Only Apple can answer your questions, if they chose to, if and/or when Apple decides to release a bigger iPhone.

• Reply 35 of 74
    realistic wrote: »
    Only Apple can answer your questions, if they chose to, if and/or when Apple decides to release a bigger iPhone.
    Will be interesting to see how Schiller announces this. With the iPad mini he spent most of his time taking about how you can see more content because the screen is bigger than the 7" 16:9 Android tablets. With the iPhone 5 it was all about being able to comfortably use with one hand. My guess is Apple will pretend the one handed use comment never existed.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    realcool wrote: »
    I believe that's an iPod. I also believe that iphone will be the rumored 4.7 and the iPod would be 5.5, provided those are the correct specs according to rumors.
    Nope. Sorry.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Sorry that's how it's going to play out in the media, especially if they do some silly phablet. Unless Apple surprises us with something no one was expecting there will be questions as to why now and not 2 years ago. What were the so-called tradeoffs Tim Cook talked about and how did Apple solve for them?

Only from complete idiots.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Considering the fact that I smoke (though not as much as years ago), I drink like a fish, and the number of contaminents with which I come into contact on a daily basis just through living a regular life in the modern world -- my iPhone is hardly a big concern on the the health meter.

And everyone dies.  Personally, I could die tomorrow, I don't care.  I won't know anyways.

• Reply 39 of 74
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    pmz wrote: »
    Nope. Sorry.

Thought you'd learn your lesson to not say definitives after looking like a complete idiot last October when you screamed, argued, talked down to people and bragged about your vast knowledge of marketing and supply chains by saying that apple would a) never release a more expensive iPad mini and b) never lower the price of the existing mini.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

They could make the screen as big as a Newton, which Samsung obviously copied.