Survey suggests Apple could sell 15M more iPhones in US with larger 5" display option

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    One of the reasons the iPhone has been so successful is apps, and a huge reason why iPhone apps have been so successful is that Apple doesn't jerk developers around by having a ton of different screen sizes that developers need to support - just 2: iPhone/iPod-touch, and iPad (iPad mini and iPad are the same aspect ratio - iPad mini is the same UI slightly shrunk).

When they shifted to the iPhone 5, they made a big point of saying that this was the size they were going to stay at for a long time, and I think they will be true to that and keep to the current size.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    God help Apple if they release a 5.5" phablet. 4.7" seems like a perfectly good compromise for those who want a larger screen and those who don't.

I'm still curious to know why 2014 is the year of a big screen iPhone and not 2012 or 2013. Is it technological or something else?

Like I said in the other thread when you expressed your beFUDdlement, you should know by now, because you have been TOLD so many times that it is a matter of high-efficiency, high-density screen supply, either LTPS or IGZO.

You look to be either hopelessly dense or a shameless crypto troll. I lean toward the latter.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

And... this is where Apple's long game is always strong.   Let Samsung et al develop the market for phones, do the general R&D, and then come in and sell the phone that is the 'upgrade' to all of Samsung's first time buyers.   This is how the iPod was sold, how the iPhone 5 was sold, and how the iPad was sold, the iPad mini was sold.   Android is the 'try before you commit' (all those devices in drawers) device.

In their zeal to be "first," so many other companies get it wrong, giving Apple a good example of what not to do. Ironically, when Apple inevitably gets it right, other companies struggle to follow their example.

See, this is the mistake that so many iHaters make, that Apple always claims to have invented everything first. That's not necessarily what they do, as evidenced by your examples above. The fact that Apple gets it right does seem to create the perception among many that they are in fact "first," which causes the knee-jerk reaction by the haters to come up with so many examples of products that had such-and-such feature first.

Some day, the haters are going to have to realize that nobody really cares about who did what first. All we care about is who does it best.

PS: I still prefer a more compact phone, but certainly don't begrudge anyone that prefers a larger device. I look forward to being able to have a top-of-the-line experience at any size.

• Reply 24 of 68

I, along with millions of others, bought the iPhone 5 on the first day it came out in 2012 under a two-year contract.  That contract will expire late this Summer.  So, when I become eligible to start a new two-year contract, I plan to buy a new and improved iPhone and sell my old one to Gazelle.com or back to the Apple Store or ATT for $200+ and use that money for the downpayment on my new phone.  I'm certain there will be millions of other iPhone 5 owners waiting to do the same.  (Certainly very few if any iPhone 5 owners would have paid early termination fees just to upgrade to the 5S before their contracts matured.)   These new trade-in policies make the "cost-to-trade-up" programs practically free.

• Reply 25 of 68

*I guess the 4S is still out there, but being phased out. They did the "budget" iPhone 5C with the larger screen.

• Reply 26 of 68
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I am surprised the estimate isn't even higher than that. Every single one of my Android owing friends (which is a wide majority of my friends) have said to me they like my iPhone and iOS but just can't stand the small screen. Even among my iPhone owning friends (with me included) have pretty much ran out of patience and have said that unless Apple releases a larger iPhone this year we would all likely switch to an Android. I think Apple severely underestimated the attraction and importance of a larger screen. That feature to me is far more important than any other aspect of the phone with the possible exception of battery life. I hope the iPhone 6 will be the first iPhone I don't have to plop in an extended battery case to go through a whole days use. 

There is so much pent up demand by dissatisfied current iPhone owners as well as Android owners that have been waiting for a larger iPhone that I see sales going well beyond even these estimates. I also think it is becoming more and more clear there will not be any new 4" iPhone with the possible exception of an iPhone 6c which will replace the 5c and just be a 5s in plastic. Not one single leak or rumor about a 4" iPhone 6. 

• Reply 27 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

There is so much pent up demand by dissatisfied current iPhone owners as well as Android owners that have been waiting for a larger iPhone that I see sales going well beyond even these estimates. I also think it is becoming more and more clear there will not be any new 4" iPhone with the possible exception of an iPhone 6c which will replace the 5c and just be a 5s in plastic. Not one single leak or rumor about a 4" iPhone 6. 

And apprently, Apple can still sell 44,000,000+ iPhones in the slowest quarter of the year, and smashing previous records, when there is so much "pent-up demand" by "dissatisfied" iPhone owners for a larger phone. Bodes pretty damn well for the company. 

• Reply 28 of 68
    Analysts seem to be always ready to jump the gun with increased sales for products that don't even exist. It's a nice positive outlook for a change but I'd certainly temper some of that enthusiasm if Apple intends to charge $100 more per iPhone providing that cost shows up in the initial purchase. The extra cost runs somewhat counter to the general reasoning of the commoditization of the smartphone. Apple would clearly have to have a product that stands out from every other smartphone on the market.

The boo-birds definitely don't believe Apple any longer has the innovative chops to pull off that sort of product. I can't see Apple necessarily building an iPhone that has all the internal sensors of, say, the Galaxy S5. Although I can't really imagine what Apple will have to offer to set the iPhone apart from every other smartphone, I look forward to whatever surprises Apple has in stock for consumers.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    I don't want a big-screened phone myself, but it's absurd that Apple has let Samsung hold onto this competitive advantage for so long. Apple needs to be quicker on its feet in responding to real consumer trends. I know Apple likes to set the trends, but they need to be willing to follow if & when necessary. And that should have been with the 5 and 5S.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

And apprently, Apple can still sell 44,000,000+ iPhones in the slowest quarter of the year, and smashing previous records, when there is so much "pent-up demand" by "dissatisfied" iPhone owners for a larger phone. Bodes pretty damn well for the company. 

No joke.  I want a bigger phone, but I am in no way dissatisfied.  In fact, far from it

• Reply 31 of 68

By sticking to the "old" metal form factor with the iPhone 5 through to the iPhone 5S, I am sure Apple saves millions in retooling costs, thus adding to their immense level of profitability.  Not having in-house factories like other manufacturers, Apple has to be careful that their production runs are long and successful, keeping demand (and anticipation) just high enough.

• Reply 32 of 68
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I already guarantee you don't. I'm sure you hold it with one hand, as I do. But as soon as the index finger from your other hand comes up, you're argument fails.

The only time I use my index finger is if I go into landscape mode to read a specific webpage format or type a long message but that is rare. I hate anything but my one thumb to operate just a little more than I love a big screen. This is why I am happy with 4" and might never go above that size. So I will really need to evaluate a new, larger iPhone at the Apple store. It's the only way to really know.

• Reply 33 of 68
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    redhotfuzz wrote: »
    I don't want a big-screened phone myself, but it's absurd that Apple has let Samsung hold onto this competitive advantage for so long. Apple needs to be quicker on its feet in responding to real consumer trends. I know Apple likes to set the trends, but they need to be willing to follow if & when necessary. And that should have been with the 5 and 5S.

Sorry to say you don't get it either. Apple has no or very little control over Asian display manufacturers of the newer technologies.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

This is only a consumer trend in China and some developing nations where the average consumer can only afford one device to do it all. Now that doesn't mean Apple won't sell a lot of large screen iPhones. It just means that right now Samsung is not selling as nearly as many Note 3s as they would have you believe.

• Reply 35 of 68
    flaneur wrote: »
    Sorry to say you don't get it either. Apple has no or very little control over Asian display manufacturers of the newer technologies.

Oh please. So you're implying the only reason Apple hasn't dabbled in larger iPhome screen sizes is because of manufacturer limitations? Despite the fact every Android device maker on the planet has been shipping larger screened devices for years?

Riiiight.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    wigby wrote: »
    This is only a consumer trend in China and some developing nations where the average consumer can only afford one device to do it all. Now that doesn't mean Apple won't sell a lot of large screen iPhones. It just means that right now Samsung is not selling as nearly as many Note 3s as they would have you believe.

Baloney. I see these larger screen devices popping up all over here in the US. I''ve heard people say they chose an Android device over an iPhone based solely on screen size. This is not a Chinese consumer phenomenon. Or did you not even read the original story above?
  • Reply 37 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    redhotfuzz wrote: »
    Oh please. So you're implying the only reason Apple hasn't dabbled in larger iPhome screen sizes is because of manufacturer limitations? Despite the fact every Android device maker on the planet has been shipping larger screened devices for years?

Riiiight.

A couple years ago this could have been your comment...
    Oh please. So you're implying the only reason Apple hasn't dabbled in [LTE] is because of manufacturer limitations? Despite the fact every Android device maker on the planet has been shipping [LTE on] devices for years?

Riiiight

Remember that Apple has been shipping larger screens on an iOS-based device for a long time so instead of assuming that Apple will simply slap a display slightly smaller than the iPad mini display and call it an iPhone perhaps you should look at what differences Apple might bring to the table and what aspects of usability appeal to Apple in this space.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

This is why I am happy with 4" and might never go above that size. So I will really need to evaluate a new, larger iPhone at the Apple store. It's the only way to really know.

Say they don't release a new 4" iPhone.  3 years from now, what do you do?  Stick with your old 5S?  What if it breaks- find one on craigslist?

If I'm not mistaken, there aren't any top-end smart phones at 4" or less- Android, Windows, or iOS

• Reply 39 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Say they don't release a new 4" iPhone.  3 years from now, what do you do?  Stick with your old 5S?  What if it breaks- find one on craigslist?

If I'm not mistaken, there aren't any top-end smart phones at 4" or less- Android, Windows, or iOS

I'm highly confident they will continue to release a 4" iPhone model for years to come. It is the most successful smartphone line ever and continues to grow.

But if they suddenly stopped 4" for some reason, I would just have to adapt to whatever Apple offers. That being said, I would choose a 6" iPhone screen over a 4" Android screen any day.

• Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

I'm highly confident they will continue to release a 4" iPhone model for years to come. It is the most successful smartphone line ever and continues to grow.

But if they suddenly stopped 4" for some reason, I would just have to adapt to whatever Apple offers. That being said, I would choose a 6" iPhone screen over a 4" Android screen any day.

This is why I think Apple has a compelling reason to drop the 4" altogether looking at it from a business-stance.  They essentially won't lose any existing "4-inch" users, and will only gain "larger screen" users- all while only having to manufacturer and support a single (or 2) sizes instead of 2 (or 3).

I hope that's not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.