Apple again rumored to build 'iWatch' components with flexible, space-saving SIP designs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Is this the first time we've heard of a fingerprint sensor on the (rumored) wrist device? That would be the mobile payments enabler and the final end of money as we know it, would it not?
  • Reply 22 of 46
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    SIP is the new IGZO, then.

Nope, sorry. There is no other ZO but IGZO, and thou shalt not put any other ZO before Him.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

No matter how thin and elegant an iWatch might be, I still don't want one on my wrist. Perhaps when I'm old and in poor health, if it monitored my vital signs and alerted me to dangerous medical conditions that needed immediate attention, I might consider wearing something like that, but otherwise I can't imagine needing anything other than an iPhone in my pocket. Even a current iPhone does way more than I need. The prospect of having it strapped to my wrist doesn't remotely interest me. I gave up wearing suits 15 years ago and watches about 10 years ago and I'm not about to go back. If I need to wear either for special occasions I already have enough of both.

Note: I do buy at least one new suit per year, but watches, not so much.

• Reply 24 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Sure, but it has a large footprint. But that's beside the point. If they had spent more money on a more efficient board they could have probably saved some power use and definitely made an even sveltier phone by allowing the battery to take up less space for a given Wattage (less surface area over battery casing) and by reducing the additional PCB substrate.

While you're absolutely correct I don't think it would've increased sales.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »

Sending Tim Cook an email for a smartsuit idea right now. Artist's rendition, below…
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sending Tim Cook an email for a smartsuit idea right now. Artist's rendition, below…

I can give you an courtesy  :) 

Cuffs, pleats, tight, loose, all go in and out of fashion, so whether I need a suit or not, I want to always have one that is in style when the occasion requires one.

I wish I could get away with showing up to a presidential dinner in jeans and a black mock turtleneck but somehow that that doesn't always work so I have to have a plan B.

• Reply 27 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I can give you an courtesy  :)  

Cuffs, pleats, tight, loose, all go in and out of fashion, so whether I need a suit or not, I want to always have one that is in style when the occasion requires one.

I tend to buy my suits at Neiman Marcus or Hugo Boss. HB for lower cost suits, Armani for mid-range and Paul Smith for upper-mid-range. I haven't ever gone over $2k for a suit nor do I buy them ever year. Being a guy I feel I can get away with a modern suit design for many years. Of course, I do wonder — not worry — if my suit design is out-of-date and if people notice. I think 2-4 years is alright, but I definitely don't want to be wearing a suit that is a decade or two old. If I worry it's about being "that guy" in a 70's era suit in the 90's, as an example.

HB suits tend to hold up as well at the dry cleaners but they do tend to offer a modern style at a lower cost so if you're buying a new collection every year that would work. Personally, I was always a fan of three-button suit and could never get a double breasted suit to look right. I think it's because of my naturally slender build. I hope that the three-button suits would come back in style but at least the lapels meet higher up which still gives that same effect as a two-button suit.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    iPhones certainly are a marvel of consumer engineering. You have densities that make aerospace and defense electronics look spread out.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Smaller is right up Apple's street and more expensive (within reason) isn't likely a barrier for Apple's premium product range and economies of scale. They already use a more advanced, smaller logic board in the iPhone it would be great to see reduced even more.
    I don't see the cost as a huge factor here. You spend a few extra dollars on the board and make up for it with more space for the battery while reducing the size of the battery required.
    Example: iPhone 5S v Moto X with its complete lack of space optimization in order to save money.

I still wonder what in the hell was Google thinking when they bought Motorola.
  • Reply 29 of 46

No it is more like a half way mark between conventional PCB vs wafer scale and stacked wafers. Looking at the pic they are still using ICs packaged in whatever as opposed to gluing the dies to a substrate and bounding out from there.

What I wonder is if they will have several SIP packages on a PCB or rely upon the entire system fabed into one of these packages. I'm not sure if iWatch will catch my fancy but even if I don't buy one I suspect I will find the technology to be very interesting. If for nothing else I would expect migration of such technology into other iOS devices.

Why SIP tech in other iOS devices? Simple really to lower power and allow for increasing RAM and flash storage. I may be in the minority but I'm still a fan of small devices, however I don't want to give up performance in this small devices.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Yes exactly! This is why I will follow iWatch closely even if I don't have a strong desire to buy one at the moment. I can see such tech slipping into other products unnoticed yet giving Apple huge advantages in performance.
    ingela wrote: »
    All the technology and miniaturization created for the iWatch will ultimately pay nice dividends as it is incorporated into iPhones and other Apple devices.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:

...but I definitely don't want to be wearing a suit that is a decade or two old.

As long as your haircut is modern, that could be considered pretty cool.

• Reply 32 of 46
    sevenfeet wrote: »
    Apple bought 24 companies in the last 18 months and we barely know about half of them. Apple almost never buys a company with fully fleshed out end user products...it's all about picking up pieces of technology that can help them reach a much bigger goal. PA Semi didn't make products for end users and Apple wanted them for their tech and engineers. We've seen the fruits of that in Apple's CPU designs. Who would have thought back then that Apple would be alone in the market for low power mobile 64 bit chips?
    The scoop I got sometime ago was that PA Semi was working on a secret PowerPC project for Apple. When Steve made the announcement that Apple was switching to Intel, that effectively put PA Semi in a difficult financial position. So picking up PA Semi could be seen as a way of saying sorry for screwing up your company.
    What will be really interesting is this whole SIP thing. Not that this is new...Apple has been making their own system package designs since the A4.
    My take on this tech is that it is slightly different than what Apple Has done in the past. In the past they have used stacked wafers built on compatible technology.
    The real issue is that Apple is probably the industry leader in miniaturization and package design. Which means that whatever they design will have a tear-down unlike anything else out there. When you get that kind of specialization, miniaturization, and power savings in one place, it will be a design tough to duplicate.
    Well yes and no. Other manufactures have access to the same contractors so anybody can build a SIP based system. Apples best bet at protecting itself is putting IP they own into silicon.
    But not impossible. Samsung could certainly do it if they put their mind to it. And I wouldn't rule out Google now that they have their cache of former-Apple engineers in the Nest deal.

You make this into a bigger hurdle than it really is. What keeps manufactures away from such tech is usually cost. Especially if the manufacturing team has the misguided drive to make it as cheap as possible.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    I sorta feel the same way. I say sorts because if they come out with a watch in a couple of years that could monitor my blood sugar I'd consider buying one and trying to get use to wearing it. So maybe we are on the same page?
    No matter how thin and elegant an iWatch might be, I still don't want one on my wrist. Perhaps when I'm old and in poor health, if it monitored my vital signs and alerted me to dangerous medical conditions that needed immediate attention, I might consider wearing something like that, but otherwise I can't imagine needing anything other than an iPhone in my pocket. Even a current iPhone does way more than I need. The prospect of having it strapped to my wrist doesn't remotely interest me. I gave up wearing suits 15 years ago and watches about 10 years ago and I'm not about to go back. If I need to wear either for special occasions I already have enough of both.

No suits for probably a decade now.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Nope, sorry. There is no other ZO but IGZO, and thou shalt not put any other ZO before Him.

I almost expected you to say 'Kneel before ZO'!

• Reply 35 of 46
    softekysofteky Posts: 136member
    Quote:

Snip... I hope that the three-button suits would come back in style but at least the lapels meet higher up which still gives that same effect as a two-button suit.

Sorry, but when Apple get into the clothing industry it'll be one button or fewer. Third parties will produce multi-button ad-ons with varying degrees of success.

• Reply 36 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I sorta feel the same way. I say sorts because if they come out with a watch in a couple of years that could monitor my blood sugar I'd consider buying one and trying to get use to wearing it. So maybe we are on the same page?

What's a suit?
  • Reply 37 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    What's a suit?

They're made in Armenia. :lol:
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Nice!
  • Reply 39 of 46
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Yawn.

• Reply 40 of 46
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I would have to check whether I still even own a tie, but I doubt it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The term IGZO is misused quite a bit. It refers to a material to be substituted in panel design rather than the panel type itself. I'm sure we'll eventually get to read about how Samsung copied that too, as they're likely to make use of the technology at some point. I say that because they hold a license for much of the technology surrounding it.