IDC forecasts 'challenging' year for tablets as Apple's iPad continues to lead

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Xiaomi doesn't make tablets that I'm aware of.  They only make smartphones and phablets.  They also have to have enough sales for IDC, Gartner, etc. to recognize them by previous quarter/yearly sales.  Maybe their numbers will show up in future reports.

Again, it was more of a general statement on Chinese brands. In fact, none of those companies I listed manufacture tablets. Sorry if my original post lacked clarity.  If I'm not mistaken a Xiaomi tablet has been spotted in testing, but I would question if it could have the same impact as their smartphones.

• Reply 62 of 105
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Except the data they are referring to is specifically based on "shipments", it even says so in their graphs.

So, they probably got the information from each mfg on what they shipped.  So much of what they shipped goes directly to customers, some go to resellers' inventories.  So, what point are you trying to make?

• Reply 63 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

It would make sense to discuss 64-bit in context.  It really depends on the application whether or not that will even make a difference.  The Nexus 4 launched with hardware that supported OpenGL ES 3.0 (a major mobile API) a year before Apple added support in the A7 SoC, but the real world applications are all that really matter.

As for 64-bit Android, Intel already launched a 64-bit kernel that will be coming in Bay Trail Android devices.  ASUS has a $149 64-bit Android tablet launching soon in the 7" segment.  We'll have to see if there is any real world advantages when the device hits the market.

As for real world usage of both operating systems, iOS has a considerable app advantage in the tablet segment.  The only catch is, a new A7 iOS device starts at $399 and up. 

Last time I checked, ASUS is running at around 6% or less Net Profit to Gross Sales margin, which in the REAL world, is AWFUL.  These computer/tablet/smartphone mfg can't continue at such low margins.  It's almost impossible for them to increase their margins, so if the market falls out beneath them, they get hit a lot sooner.  That's why NEC got out of the PC, smartphone, etc. markets.  That's why ACER is one foot in the grave as they are now on their 3rd CEO within 6 months.  These companies just can't make a decent business from 6% or less Net Profit margin.  An $149 ASUS is a prime example of someone trying to "BUY" the market and these companies can't survive on little to no margin/profit.    Apple doesn't play that game.  I would be interested in knowing how much ASUS actually makes on those $149 tablets.  My guess is not much, if any.  Apple doesn't go after that business. 

Please don't talk about future products until they are released and on the market.    If you can't buy it, then there is no reason to discuss it.

• Reply 64 of 105
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

The second part wasn't as much directed towards you, it was more of a general statement.  

Hugely successful in the 'Chinese market'.  Take Xiaomi for example.  Within minutes of launching their flagship devices (launched in batches of 300,000), they sell out completely.  For a company with only an online presence and no marketing budget that would be considered hugely successful.  On the global scale, none are as large as the leading Chinese companies (Lenovo, Huawei, Yulong, ZTE), but I only made reference to them as they're not as well known on this board. 

Phones NOT tablets.

Show me a Xiaomi tablet.

• Reply 65 of 105
    drunkzombiedrunkzombie Posts: 169member
    I don't know if this has been posted before on this topic, but I was just reading this on business insider: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apples-ipad-business-collapsing-224423071.html

It's cringe worthy
  • Reply 66 of 105
    drewbeardrewbear Posts: 8member

When IDC started predicting iPad sales back in 2010, they got it wrong almost every single quarter. In 2011 when the first Galaxy Tabs arrived, IDC reported 2 million shipments in 1 quarter. That knocked iPad market share down a substantial percentage and spurred “iPad is doomed” headlines. We now know that actual sales of the Samsung tablets were much less. But how can you blame IDC for doing what they do? People pay good money for their reports.

Here we are at the start of iPad’s 5th year on this planet. Apple’s tablet product line went from $0 to $30+ billion in four years. That’s roughly half of Google’s annual revenue. Half a Google in 4 years! Stop and think about that for a bit.

These 4 years are just the beginning of what even IDC acknowledges is a long trend that will see tablets surpassing desktop & laptop sales. Yet they’re already saying that iPad sales peaked in Year 3? Really?

But just as the masses don’t remember iPad claim chowder of 2-3 years ago, these reports will also be forgotten in a few years. Even if iPad revenue is by then larger than Google’s, there will be some other set of “data” that will show the iPad’s best days are past.
  • Reply 67 of 105
    Quote:

Last time I checked, ASUS is running at around 6% or less Net Profit to Gross Sales margin, which in the REAL world, is AWFUL.  These computer/tablet/smartphone mfg can't continue at such low margins.  It's almost impossible for them to increase their margins, so if the market falls out beneath them, they get hit a lot sooner.  That's why NEC got out of the PC, smartphone, etc. markets.  That's why ACER is one foot in the grave as they are now on their 3rd CEO within 6 months.  These companies just can't make a decent business from 6% or less Net Profit margin.  An $149 ASUS is a prime example of someone trying to "BUY" the market and these companies can't survive on little to no margin/profit.    Apple doesn't play that game.  I would be interested in knowing how much ASUS actually makes on those $149 tablets.  My guess is not much, if any.  Apple doesn't go after that business. 

Please don't talk about future products until they are released and on the market.    If you can't buy it, then there is no reason to discuss it.

From a consumer's perspective I could care less if a company like ASUS is (or is not) making a large profit on their devices.  If they can produce a quality product at a low price that would be in my best interest.  Personally, I have no interest in an Android tablet.

I don't understand why you said not to talk about future product, does it make you uncomfortable?  You just asked the question "And when is Google going to release a 64 Bit OS?", thus I made reference to an ASUS product that is about to release and it happens to be running Google's Android with a 64-bit kernel.

• Reply 68 of 105
    Quote:

Phones NOT tablets.

Show me a Xiaomi tablet.

It would help if you read my previous post:

Quote:

Again, it was more of a general statement on Chinese brands. In fact, none of those companies I listed manufacture tablets. Sorry if my original post lacked clarity.  If I'm not mistaken a Xiaomi tablet has been spotted in testing, but I would question if it could have the same impact as their smartphones.

As for Xiaomi's tablet in testing, I did a little bit more digging and found out a few details.

Apparently this is it (one of them at least):

xiaomi tablet leaked 1 Xiaomis 7.85 inch tablet to sport a 2048x1536 pixel retina display and cost $160: Report

It has a 7.85" display with a resolution of 2048x1536 and is expected to launch in Q3 or Q4 of this year for only $160.  We don't know what SoC will be powering it, but Xiaomi usually goes for the high-end.  Like other Xiaomi products, this will likely be sold at cost.

• Reply 69 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ws11 wrote: »
    It has a 7.85" display with a resolution of 2048x1536 and is expected to launch in Q3 or Q4 of this year for only $160.  We don't know what SoC will be powering it, but Xiaomi usually goes for the high-end.  Like other Xiaomi products, this will likely be sold at cost.

1) It hasn't launched yet now is it slated to launch for 2 to 3 quarters.

2) There is no info on the specs.

3) There is no info on the quality.

4) There is no info on the usability.

5) All you have is two specs about the size and resolution of the display but no knowledge of anything else. Using the iPad mini's resolution and PPI is not what made the iPad mini successful.
  • Reply 70 of 105
    Quote:

From a consumer's perspective I could care less if a company like ASUS is (or is not) making a large profit on their devices.  If they can produce a quality product at a low price that would be in my best interest.  Personally, I have no interest in an Android tablet.

I don't understand why you said not to talk about future product, does it make you uncomfortable?  You just asked the question "And when is Google going to release a 64 Bit OS?", thus I made reference to an ASUS product that is about to release and it happens to be running Google's Android with a 64-bit kernel.

I don't have a problem talking about a future product, as long as everyone knows it's just rumor until the product is announced, but to compare against an existing product to compare is just futile.  By the time these so-called device finally ships, Apple will be preparing their next product, so let's compare THOSE two products and quite trying to confuse the issue.

Are you 100% certain that this 64 Bit Android device and all of the specs from ASUS is only going to be $148?  And when is this product going to be released?  And will it be comparible to the iPad Mini 2 or the next gen iPad mini?  Traditionally, the Nexus base line model comes with less storage, which renders the product useless, so you have to spend more for something with a reasonable amount of storage.

But in the end I'm still trying to figure out why you compare something that's on the market vs one that isn't?    That, to me, is a waste of time.  So, when ASUS brings out their product, then we should compare it against Apple's next rev.  Which we don't know about until it gets released.  Right?  See my point?

Let's stick to only comparing what's on the market to make it fair for all parties, since that's what's currently available.  

• Reply 71 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) It hasn't launched yet now is it slated to launch for 2 to 3 quarters.

2) There is no info on the specs.

3) There is no info on the quality.

4) There is no info on the usability.

5) All you have is two specs about the size and resolution of the display but no knowledge of anything else. Using the iPad mini's resolution and PPI is not what made the iPad mini successful.

He said "Show me a Xiaomi tablet."

So I posted all of the information on their upcoming tablet that I'm aware of.  

Anything more is just speculation based off of Xiaomi's history of providing high end smartphones at low cost.  

• Reply 72 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ws11 wrote: »
    He said "Show me a Xiaomi tablet."

So I posted all of the information on their upcoming tablet that I'm aware of.  

Anything more is just speculation based off of Xiaomi's history of providing high end smartphones at low cost.  

Then my mistake. I thought you were making a point that the iPad mini was somehow being trounced by this device.
  • Reply 73 of 105
    Quote:

I don't have a problem talking about a future product, as long as everyone knows it's just rumor until the product is announced, but to compare against an existing product to compare is just futile.  By the time these so-called device finally ships, Apple will be preparing their next product, so let's compare THOSE two products and quite trying to confuse the issue.

Are you 100% certain that this 64 Bit Android device and all of the specs from ASUS is only going to be $148?  And when is this product going to be released?  And will it be comparible to the iPad Mini 2 or the next gen iPad mini?  Traditionally, the Nexus base line model comes with less storage, which renders the product useless, so you have to spend more for something with a reasonable amount of storage.

But in the end I'm still trying to figure out why you compare something that's on the market vs one that isn't?    That, to me, is a waste of time.  So, when ASUS brings out their product, then we should compare it against Apple's next rev.  Which we don't know about until it gets released.  Right?  See my point?

Let's stick to only comparing what's on the market to make it fair for all parties, since that's what's currently available.  

I was not comparing these products, I was just answering your question as to how soon a 64-bit Android device will hit the market.  

As for information on the ASUS ME176, it has been posted by a number of reputable tech sites.  To clear up any confusion, the ME176 is NOT a Nexus device, it is an entry level Intel based 64-bit Android tablet.

• Reply 74 of 105
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

It would help if you read my previous post:

As for Xiaomi's tablet in testing, I did a little bit more digging and found out a few details.

Apparently this is it (one of them at least):

xiaomi tablet leaked 1 Xiaomis 7.85 inch tablet to sport a 2048x1536 pixel retina display and cost $160: Report

A blurry pic of a tablet based on a rumour doth not a tablet on the market make.

• Reply 75 of 105
    Quote:

A blurry pic of a tablet based on a rumour doth not a tablet on the market make.

Thank you for once again pointing out the obvious, it would help if you actually read my posts in their entirety.

• Reply 76 of 105
    Quote:

I was not comparing these products, I was just answering your question as to how soon a 64-bit Android device will hit the market.  

As for information on the ASUS ME176, it has been posted by a number of reputable tech sites.  To clear up any confusion, the ME176 is NOT a Nexus device, it is an entry level Intel based 64-bit Android tablet.

Doesn't Google have to release their 64 Bit code first before the rest can release a working product?

I don't really care about trying to find out about every single Android product since I'm not planning on buying them, especially ASUS.  Apple would have to out of business before I'd consider an ASUS product.  In fact, I would buy a Samsung product before ASUS.  So, both Apple and Samsung would have to go out of business before that happens, which is HIGHLY unlikely.   I just simply have no desire to buy anything from ASUS.  I wonder how much ASUS lost on their PADFONE product? Biggest joke I've seen a while.

• Reply 77 of 105
    Quote:

Doesn't Google have to release their 64 Bit code first before the rest can release a working product?

I don't really care about trying to find out about every single Android product since I'm not planning on buying them, especially ASUS.  Apple would have to out of business before I'd consider an ASUS product.  In fact, I would buy a Samsung product before ASUS.  So, both Apple and Samsung would have to go out of business before that happens, which is HIGHLY unlikely.   I just simply have no desire to buy anything from ASUS.  I wonder how much ASUS lost on their PADFONE product? Biggest joke I've seen a while.

Intel already built a 64-bit Android kernel and it was released at the start of this year.

I don't seem to understand your hate for ASUS, when it comes to computer components they make some of the best ones available.  Obviously they still cater to the bottom line with their lower end devices, but their higher end products are usually industry leading (motherboards, graphic cards, laptops, etc.).  Not to say all of their bottom line products are bad, while I'm not too fond of the Nexus 7, the T100 2-in-1 is a solid budget device.

• Reply 78 of 105

Download the amazing Player Xtreme - Media Player App! Its especially designed for iPad and gives users an excellent movie watching experience with other cool built in features!

Limited Time Offer On Free Pro Version!

App Store Link: https://bit.ly/PlayerXtreme

• Reply 79 of 105
    Folks.

Take all these metrics companies reports as shite.. Regardless the company they are talking about.

I can attest to IDC and a couple others as companies that are ONLY out to sell their marketing report subscriptions. If your company does not subscribe, then you are painted in a bad light. If you subscribe, then the reports paint your company in a good light no matter the numbers.

They will say things "Company X (who subscribes) tripled their market share" and then you look at the numbers and you see it went from 0.0000001% to 0.0000003% and then you look even closer you see all the inventory is sitting on shelves or in a warehouse.

It's total crap and I wish these rumor sites would see through this nonsense.
  • Reply 80 of 105
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Amazon only sells the Fire (at cost to no profit) to get people to buy apps and stream Prime. Whether that bad hardware actually sells or not is no big thing to them, especially since you can get the same Amazon apps on other Android tablets.

The Fire TV is already a bigger success than the tablets ever were. We will see if their smartphone makes a dent also. But ultimately Amazon is like Google: they don't "need" their hardware to sell or succeed since their primary business is elsewhere. And even Samsung: they are a hardware company, but they could stop making tablets and smartphones tomorrow and still rake in billions. So Apple has competition, but no direct competition instead of the companies that primarily sell mobile devices (and are going out of business one by one because they can't keep up with Apple and Samsung). This includes Microsoft, still primarily a software and services company whose main problem is an unwillingless to just abandon Windows already. (Plus they do make money off hardware with the XBox, a success that they have strangely been unable to leverage.)

whatever, you miss my point: both the Fire and the Surface were hyped by many in tech media to become huge sellers that would challenge Apple's iPad and the iOS ecosystem. well, they didn't. not even close. instead both are duds in terms of sales. but you can't find those hypsters now owning up to their dud punditry.