Jury awards Apple $119.6M, Samsung $158K in damages after finding both guilty of patent infringement

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
The Apple v. Samsung jury on Friday meted out $119.6 million in damages to Apple after ruling Samsung infringed on two Apple patents. Considered a win, the award is still a ways off from the $2.2 billion Apple was seeking in its suit.

Samsung Design Europe 2009 iPhone copy doc

Following weeks of testimony and three days of deliberations, the eight-member Apple v. Samsung jury reached a decision awarding Apple $119,625,000 on three infringed patents and Samsung $158,400 on one patent, according to in-court reports from Re/code. The jury foreman, a former IBM executive, read the verdict to those present at the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in San Jose on Friday.

The jury found all accused Samsung devices in infringement of Apple's '647 data detectors patent and partial infringement on the '721 patent for "slide-to-unlock" functionality, a contentious piece of IP in the case. Presiding Judge Lucy Koh already found Apple's '172 patent for text prediction to be infringed by Samsung in a summary judgment in January. Samsung wholly won its defense on the '959 universal search and '414 background syncing patents.

"We are grateful to the jury and the court for their service," Apple said in statement. "Today's ruling reinforces what courts around the world have already found: That Samsung willfully stole our ideas and copied our products. We are fighting to defend the hard work that goes into beloved products like the iPhone, which our employees devote their lives to designing and delivering for our customers."

Samsung also won $158,400 for Apple's infringement of its '449 patent for an "Apparatus for recording and reproducing digital image and speech," which was invented by Hitachi. No infringement was found on the Korean company's purchased '239 property that was being leveled against FaceTime.

In its second major California court case against Samsung, Apple accused the Korean company of infringing on five patents including properties covering swipe-to-text, universal search and data detectors. Apple sought $2.19 billion in damages on lost profits and royalties, a figure Samsung called a "gross exaggeration" of the patents' worth.

For its part, Samsung leveled a countersuit that started out with five selected patents, though only two made it to trial after case paring. The company was seeking damages for less than $7 million.

The ruling will almost certainly be appealed, however, as both sides seek to counter the jury's decision in favor of their respective cases.

The jury is scheduled to return to court on Monday at 9 a.m. PST to discuss an error Apple discovered in the verdict. According to the form, the jury assigned $0 in damages for Samsung's Galaxy S II over infringement of Apple's '172 patent, a figure that needs to be clarified.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 307
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    Only time it's a touch exciting. Let's see which of DED's scenario plays out!
  • Reply 2 of 307
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Was it expected for the jury to reach a decision this soon? Who does this benefit?
  • Reply 3 of 307
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    The jury is in the room so it should only be a few moments

Samsung infringed '647

No infringement on '959 (universal search)

No infringement on '414 background sync either (calendar etc)

Some infringement on slide-to-unlock

Sounds like willful in the opinion of the jury. Judge Koh of course makes that actual determination.

Final tally: About $120M in damages $52M of that attributed to S3. Galaxy Tab was all clear
  • Reply 4 of 307
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    Too soon. The quickness of the verdict is worrisome. However, you can point to Apple's victory a couple years ago to say this may go in Apple's favor. This has huge implications. Will Samsung continue copying Apple or learn it's lesson, finally. The fact that Samsung "lied" about indemnification was huge for Apple, as well as Samsung's internal documents that, in my view, says "we have to make our phone like Apple's to succeed. My jaw dropped when I saw the "slide to unlock" internal documents. Got my fingers crossed.
  • Reply 5 of 307
    eclipsepjmeclipsepjm Posts: 15member
    LMAO
  • Reply 6 of 307
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    It's interesting that all that text that appears above [I]Developing[/I] must be some kind of boilerplate text pre-written well before the verdict, in anticipation of the verdict. I suppose it's necessary filler.
  • Reply 7 of 307
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    Will the verdict be on TV live anywhere?
  • Reply 8 of 307
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Yee Haw!!
  • Reply 9 of 307
    Sounds like a mixed bag. Doesn't matter though is the verdict will certainly be appealed.
  • Reply 10 of 307
    I'm looking forward to the obligatory DED article about it. Whichever way it goes.
  • Reply 11 of 307
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

I am happy that it ended SOON!

But WORLD, be aware... still, this will not stop SAMSUNG copying !!! 

Cant wait for their coming event. --- Ahead of Apple! 

• Reply 12 of 307
    rogifan wrote: »
    Was it expected for the jury to reach a decision this soon? Who does this benefit?

The jury gets to go home and not come back next Monday.
  • Reply 13 of 307
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Sounds like a mixed bag. Doesn't matter though is the verdict will certainly be appealed.

It'll be the year 2020 and they'll still be going back and forth. This will never end. However, if you're Samsung and you lose 2 or 3 times then maybe thats a sign you should just stop while you're ahead. I would love for Samsung to appeal, lose again and owe even more. 

• Reply 14 of 307
    The jury gets to go home and not come back next Monday.
    ha, true!
  • Reply 15 of 307
    Apple gets $119,625,000 in damages.
  • Reply 16 of 307
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Initial court proceedings that could see Apple awarded up to nearly $2.2 billion in damages

That could? Where did this pull that figure out of? Because that's what Apple is seeking? Seems odd to jump to that conclusion at the point.

• Reply 17 of 307
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

ReCode is saying the jury awarded $119 million, though that can be increased since it was "willful." So it's a mixed bag. Apple gets another jury verdict and gains a little bit more leverage in final negotiations. I'm sure they didn't think they'd really get $2.2 billion, given that they only got $900 million last time and this case was far more nuanced.

• Reply 18 of 307
    kpom wrote: »
    ReCode is saying the jury awarded $119 million, though that can be increased since it was "willful." So it's a mixed bag. Apple gets another jury verdict and gains a little bit more leverage in final negotiations. I'm sure they didn't think they'd really get $2.2 billion, given that they only got $900 million last time and this case was far more nuanced.
    From the San Jose Mercury news:

At first blush, Samsung fared much better in this trial. We'll find out if dancing in streets of Cupertino
    by hmintz 7:08 PM
  • Reply 19 of 307
    grey silvygrey silvy Posts: 41member

I think its more like WHO GIVES A FLYING F%$^@

They'll be in litigation till the day the world ends.

• Reply 20 of 307
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    -