Photos compare purported 'iPhone 6' mockup against dummy Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
Yet another series of photos claiming to show a mockup of Apple's next-generation "iPhone 6" hit the Web on Friday, this time pitting the unconfirmed handset against a non-functioning Samsung Galaxy S5 display model.

In what Italian Apple blog Macitynet.it calls a comparison of two mockups, the alleged iPhone 6 dummy -- with 4.7-inch screen -- is curiously contrasted against a display model Galaxy S5, which is already on sale worldwide.

As with most recent "leaks," the publication says an inside source provided the "final mockup" used in the shoot, noting the level of detail on this particular piece is much higher than those seen over the past few weeks.

Looking at the photos, first spotted by BGR, the iPhone 6 mockup bears a striking resemblance to a purported prototype pictured in late March. Both have a segmented three-panel chassis design with a protruding rear camera and single round LED flash unit.

Further inspection does reveal a slightly more "finished" look than past mockups, with an indented home button with faux Touch ID ring, raised volume controls and side-mounted wake/sleep switch and even silver bezels for the rear camera and flash.

Expectedly, when compared to the Galaxy S5's 5.1-inch display, the iPhone 6 model is a tad smaller in all dimensions. Of note, the supposed Apple handset showpiece is significantly thinner than the S5, a feature made more conspicuous by the iPad mini-like rounded edges. This is in line with a set of renderings revealed in late April -- again of questionable origin -- that claimed the 4.7-inch version of Apple's next-gen iPhone will be about 6 millimeters thick or roughly 1.6 millimeters thinner than Samsung's device.

Friday's photos join a cavalcade of rumored iPhone 6-related leaks, including Most recently, a 3D mockup seemingly fashioned based on dimensions described by prior rumors was shown off in a video on Thursday.

Apple is widely expected to unveil a next-generation iPhone this fall, with some industry watchers predicting the release of both a 4.7-inch version and a "phablet" size 5.5-inch variation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member

Interesting. Out of curiosity, is Apple expected to talk about the new iPhone at WWDC, or are they going to leave it until autumn? Can't remember what they did last year.

also:

Quote:

this time pitting the unconfirmed model against a non-functioning Samsung Galaxy S5.

So, a normal Samsung Galaxy S5 then? hyuk hyuk

• Reply 2 of 37
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    darklite wrote: »
    Interesting. Out of curiosity, is Apple expected to talk about the new iPhone at WWDC, or are they going to leave it until autumn? Can't remember what they did last year.

Historically, they announce and demo the next version of iOS and then released the next version of iOS with the next iPhone in a few months.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Two ugly monsters with the right one even more uglier as it wastes so much real estate. If the iPhone screen to size ratio is really going to be like the one on all of the latest mockups, it will be really shameful for Apple - iPhone 6 is going to have the same size as Nexus 5 but with smaller display. And it was kind of hypocritical for Cook to say that large Android phones are hard to use with one hand. Apple better wait with this size increase till they could build the finger print sensor into the screen. Anyways, I am not buying this monster.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Tim, please!  Please - control these leaks.  Missing all the Steve-Era-Surprises.

• Reply 5 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I find the outrage over a bigger phone highly amusing. Apple just added Touch ID to the home button LAST YEAR. Do you really think one year later the home button would be gone? If Apple was that close to a Touch ID solution that didn't require the physical home button they would have waited to introduce it. Also I'm not sure how you make the home button smaller or a different shape and still have Touch ID work as well as it does. For me it's damn near flawless.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    I'm ok with larger versions, so long as the standard 4" screen doesn't become the underpowered little sibling. Same price, same specs, different screen sizes. The idea that bigger is better needs to stop.
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Tim, please!  Please - control these leaks.  Missing all the Steve-Era-Surprises.
    Perhaps the market for Apple leaks has just expanded. Supply and demand.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Historically, they announce and demo the next version of iOS and then released the next version of iOS with the next iPhone in a few months.

And from the new version, people search for clues on everything in the code.

I hope Apple releases a new 4" along with a ~5". Not buying this iPhablet sized thing.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Since iOS will be released at the same time as the next iPhone, why don't they just announce both at WWDC? People are willing to wait anyway regardless when iPhone is announced.

• Reply 9 of 37
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Since iOS will be released at the same time as the next iPhone, why don't they just announce both at WWDC? People are willing to wait anyway regardless when iPhone is announced.

It would probably hurt Apple to give the competition several months to try to catch up to the next iPhone before it's ever released, as well as hurt the appeal when months later the new tech has already been covered in every way by the media before sales have started.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

These are not leaked but purported. Until I can see leaked parts, I'm watching these for fun. I remember last time people were so adamant about teardrop iPhone 5, it turned out a little longer iPhone 4 called iPhone 5. 

• Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It would probably hurt Apple to give the competition several months to try to catch up to the next iPhone before it's ever released, as well as hurt the appeal when months later the new tech has already been covered in every way by the media before sales have started.

Since when Apple fanbois want other phones? iPhone rarely had technological or feature advance compared to Android phones. Remember 90% of iPhone buyers are current iPhone owners, not just those who pick and choose which one has more features or better value. Do I want an iPhone and end up with Galaxy because it has more features and better specs than iPhone? I don't think so.

• Reply 12 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Gorgeous.

• Reply 13 of 37
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

You mean, like with the iPhone 4?

;)
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You mean, like with the iPhone 4?

I dont want Gizmodo again!  :D  But only Steve can do that! Chase! Chase!

• Reply 15 of 37
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I dont want Gizmodo again!  :D  But only Steve can do that! Chase! Chase!

You heard the joke about the two iPhones walking into a bar?

Two iPhones, an iPhone 4 and a 4s, walk into a bar.

The iPhone 4 says to the 4s, 'You getting a beer?'.

And the iPhone 4s replies, 'Yes, sireeeee!'

• Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You heard the joke about the two iPhones walking into a bar?

Two iPhones, an iPhone 4 and a 4s, walk into a bar.

The iPhone 4 says to the 4s, 'You getting a beer?'.

And the iPhone 4s replies, 'Yes, sireeeee!'

Steve times are GOLDEN. Tim times are Getting GOLDEN. :)

• Reply 17 of 37
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    The s5 dummy on the left is a dummy even if it turns on in anywcase so why state it dowsng work if the actual thing didn't woe in any case :)
  • Reply 18 of 37
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Since when Apple fanbois want other phones? iPhone rarely had technological or feature advance compared to Android phones. Remember 90% of iPhone buyers are current iPhone owners, not just those who pick and choose which one has more features or better value. Do I want an iPhone and end up with Galaxy because it has more features and better specs than iPhone? I don't think so.
    Firstly, just because someone has a preference for Apple or has gotten themself locked into their ecosystem doesn't make one a fanboy.

As for waiting to announce the physical phone, it's simply for sales. The more eyes you tip off to a new device that's unavailable, the more people wait (and don't buy the current device).
  • Reply 19 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

The general public does not follow tech as closely as we do. If Apple announced a new iPhone in June, it would end up on the evening news and then all the regular people who were thinking of buying an iPhone would perhaps decide to wait for the new model. That would significantly harm current model sales. Last year they announced the iPhone 5s on Sept 10 with availability on Sept 20. I would expect something similar this year. The devs got iOS 7 beta at WWDC.

Edit  Sporio +1

• Reply 20 of 37
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    How is Tim gonna spin this as innovation? A larger screen? Does it bend?
    Only the magician Steve could work this into disbelief. Should be very interesting.