Most office workers aren't actually using Microsoft Office

Comments

• Reply 41 of 132
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

That chart: Adobe Reader needs to die. It's the slowest and most unstable piece of software I've ever been forced to use. The fact that some PDFs require Adobe Reader to be opened properly is so sad.

Yup. Its dosgsting how it can't even scroll simple PDFs smoothly. Choppy as ****, always. Preview is night and day. Such a bloated, insecure piece of shit software.

seems to me we are witnessing that same sort of problem we saw with the progression of Adobe Flash.  Wonder how much of this is due to Adobe's need to keep doing development on a product in order to force upgrades.  I guess they simply can't figure out how to stop development on a product before it becomes a basket case from overdevelopment.    The fact that we have a "Portable Document Format" keeps changing and generates incompatible documents unless you have the latest version, is sad.  We are no better off then we were with incompatible Office document versions, IMHO.

• Reply 42 of 132
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

The fact that we have a "Portable Document Format" keeps changing and generates incompatible documents unless you have the latest version, is sad.  

If the latest version of Reader is free, how is that any different from Apple constantly updating their software? The last paid version of iWork is not compatible with the new iWork documents and the new iWork is not even compatible with older Macs that can only run Lion.

• Reply 43 of 132
    I have never use Office for personal use because there are acceptable free alternatives like Google Drive. Windows is also heavy weight an if you are using the free tier at Amazon AWS then a you already know that a Windows instance is useless.
  • Reply 44 of 132
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Looks like SoftWatch is a shill for Google.

SoftWatch should have stated that companies can save a lot of money by simply using LibreOffice or OpenOffice FOR FREE as a replacement for Microsoft Office.

Then companies wouldn't even have to pay Google's business fees for cloud services.
  • Reply 45 of 132
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    Looks like SoftWatch is a shill for Google.

SoftWatch should have stated that companies can save a lot of money by simply using LibreOffice or OpenOffice FOR FREE as a replacement for Microsoft Office.

Then companies wouldn't even have to pay Google's business fees for cloud services.
    Network World won't be a Google shill. . .
    http://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/031914-google-apps-279871.html
    Microsoft is paying attention.
  • Reply 46 of 132
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I just picked up Notability for my iDevices. Looks very good, and it's free.

Just did the same on the basis of the mention here.

• Reply 47 of 132
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

No. They're not.

Windows has about 91% desktop market share (source). That's about the same as two years ago. Is that what you call 'dying'? Windows 8 may not have taken off as MS would have expected, but Windows still has an absolute stranglehold in the desktop market.

Likewise, Office still has a stranglehold in the corporate environment. Web-based alternatives like Google Apps or competing products like iWork  may be gaining in popularity among consumers, but it is the corporate space where the money is made.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, it doesn't get paid when its existing installed base of Windows owners browse the web. You're pointing to web stats, not market share.

Microsoft could vanish as a company entirely and there would still be hundreds of millions of PCs touching the world's web servers for many years.

• Reply 48 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

The fact that we have a "Portable Document Format" keeps changing and generates incompatible documents unless you have the latest version, is sad.  

If the latest version of Reader is free, how is that any different from Apple constantly updating their software? The last paid version of iWork is not compatible with the new iWork documents and the new iWork is not even compatible with older Macs that can only run Lion.

sorry.  are you trying to debate with me that the document that iWorks produces are supposed to be an portable format and are not?  no contest. Where did you ever get that idea?

also, lets not confuse free with "Portable".  iWorks is free, no one said its portable.  So is Acrobat Reader.  If you send me a PDF document via email and I can't read it on my iOS, OS X, Windows, Linux device without requirement me to go get and install latest version of Acrobat Reader, then I'd say it ceases to be portable.    BTW, Microsoft provides Free MS-Word Doc reader, I suppose by your deductive reason that this also makes all MS Word documents Portable?

• Reply 49 of 132
    Quote:

sorry.  are you trying to debate with me that the document that iWorks produces are supposed to be an portable format and are not?  no contest. Where did you ever get that idea?

iWork is truly not portable at all. It is not even compatible with the recently past version of iWork or even the recently past OS X. Adobe fully supports Acrobat Reader on every platform even legacy. Why not upgrade your Reader to the latest version? To not do so is illogical.  It is free and has all the latest compatibility and security updates.

• Reply 50 of 132
    Quote:

Quote:

iWork is truly not portable at all. It is not even compatible with the recently past version of iWork or even the recently past OS X. Adobe fully supports Acrobat Reader on every platform even legacy. Why not upgrade your Reader to the latest version? To not do so is illogical.  It is free and has all the latest compatibility and security updates.

sending me a document which requires me to go get and install first party software by definition makes it not portable.  Making something free, does not make it portable either.

people send me email with JPEGs and HTML,  I don't need to go get a third party plug in see this content on pretty much any platform and any email client without requirement to install any first party software. That is portability.

• Reply 51 of 132
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Bullshit survey that doesn't take into account the cost of process re-engineering, staff re-training, and re-negotiation of support contracts yields bullshit results.
  • Reply 52 of 132
    Quote:

new iWork is not even compatible with older Macs that can only run Lion.

while you are picking on iWork not running on Lion, you may want to go check out of the latest "free" portable Acrobat Reader runs on Lion. 

I'll save you the trouble. It doesn't.   

• Reply 53 of 132
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gman5541 View Post

Nonsense. Office is iniquitous. Even if you're not using all of Office or none at all, you're using a suite that touts a degree of Office File Compatibility.

I can't tell whether you really meant "iniquitous", which means "grossly unfair and morally wrong", or you meant to type "ubiquitous, which means "present, appearing, or found everywhere".  Both meanings are absolutely true of Microsoft Software.

Thompson

• Reply 54 of 132
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member

I don't know anyone in my industry who is not using Word exclusively, except for a lot of older attorneys who will never give up wordperfect.

This sound like complete bs to me.

• Reply 55 of 132
    Quote:

people send me email with JPEGs and HTML,  I don't need to go get a third party plug in see this content on pretty much any platform and any email client without requirement to install any first party software. That is portability.

There are plenty of exceptions. Safari is pretty good as is Apple Mail but for example a .jpg saved accidentally in CMYK will not display in IE nor will an animated GIF display in Outlook and many HTML emails will fail in various mail clients especially HTML5. It is pointless for me to continue to discuss this with you as your Adobe hated has completely clouded in objectivity that you might normally have.

• Reply 56 of 132
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

I am an iWork user.  I think it is awesome nowadays.

I have no need for MS Office nor Google Docs.

I read that Google Docs for iOS is garbage.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-technology/google-docs-and-sheets-mobile-mark-new-low-241676

• Reply 57 of 132
    Quote:

Quote:

There are plenty of exceptions. Safari is pretty good as is Apple Mail but for example a .jpg saved accidentally in CMYK will not display in IE nor will an animated GIF display in Outlook and many HTML emails will fail in various mail clients especially HTML5. It is pointless for me to continue to discuss this with you as your Adobe hated has completely clouded in objectivity that you might normally have.

you are confusing objectivity with hatred. I think PDF is great. They just need to stop changing it in pursuit of profits via continual upgrade cycles to stay current.  Continually pushing it makes it no better than Flash. Both from portability and security.  PDF was establish as a good portable format years ago. They should have stopped there.  Now they are embedding Flash, 3D objects and all sorts of crap into it which makes its less than portable.  Just how in the heck am I support to view latest PDF with embedded Flash on a device with no flash support?

I don't think this problem is unique to Adobe. 

• Reply 58 of 132
    Quote:

while you are picking on iWork not running on Lion, you may want to go check out of the latest "free" portable Acrobat Reader runs on Lion. 

Really? I thought 11.006 was the most recent and that runs on 10.5.8

• Reply 59 of 132
    Quote:

Quote:

Really? I thought 11.006 was the most recent and that runs on 10.5.8

you must be looking at some other info.  10.5.8 supported versions are Acrobat 9.x and 10.x.  Linux only goes up to Acrobat Read 9.x

• Reply 60 of 132
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Neither of those products is a replacement for Microsoft Office. They are poor substitutes, particularly the equivalents to Excel which are nowhere near as powerful.

Not to mention that many companies are simply not going to use open-source desktop software.