Samsung hoping to upstage Apple with health-related event 5 days before WWDC

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 118
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    Every time Samsung announces something new, they infringe some Apple patents. Another lawsuit coming %u2026
  • Reply 102 of 118
    jessejjessej Posts: 29member

That's nothing, this September, Scamsung plans to introduce its Galaxy iPhoneCopy S6 a few days before Apple introduces its new iPhone. I would say "take Note," but while I'm in this galaxy, I'm going to take an iPhone.

• Reply 103 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    zerobim08 wrote: »
    Apple is damn slow. Galaxy S4 already has all the health sensors built in and an health app. S5 expands that with heart rate monitor. Starting from Ip5s the whatever coprocessor can only measure steps but can't do temperature and humidity like s4 which came out much earlier.

Gear Wearable is now in its second generations. It is so laughable seeing some ifans here still think Samsung copied apple when it seems like apple gonna be 1.5 to 2 years behind.

In reality apple is the one who will copy since they have 2 years to look at what samsung did and adapt its strategy before coming out with something.

Apple was behind on the PMP. Apple was behind on selling a handset and smartphone. Apple was behind on selling a tablet. Apple was behind on a fingerprint biometric. I'd saying being best outweighs being first.
  • Reply 104 of 118
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Apple was behind on the PMP. Apple was behind on selling a handset and smartphone. Apple was behind on selling a tablet. Apple was behind on a fingerprint biometric. I'd saying being best outweighs being first.
    Could not have said it any better ???? there a deference between being slow and being patience. To the person you quoted.
  • Reply 105 of 118
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

I love my apple gadgets and frankly hate the samsung junk, but frankly it's a bit rich of Apple folk to say Samsung wants to jump the gun on Apple's health stuff, given that they were first with the health app, and the various hardware health monitors. Sure, i know the pulse thing is complete gimmick as it does nothing more than an app and the normal camera, but given that Apple hasnt announced anything at this point, many could argue Apple is copying Samsung..

Scurry back to your dunghill.

• Reply 106 of 118
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 229member
    Thanks for your enlightening contribution.
  • Reply 107 of 118
    wdowell wrote: »
    I love my apple gadgets and frankly hate the samsung junk, but frankly it's a bit rich of Apple folk to say Samsung wants to jump the gun on Apple's health stuff, given that they were first with the health app, and the various hardware health monitors. Sure, i know the pulse thing is complete gimmick as it does nothing more than an app and the normal camera, but given that Apple hasnt announced anything at this point, many could argue Apple is copying Samsung..

The part that I underlined is the point people are making. An announcement a week before Apple's WWDC where its long been rumoured Apple will be moving into the health market, which is backed up by many acquisitions and hires over the last couple years, is suspect. Is this so Samsung can say they were first with these modern changes? It's no different than people saying that Apple's Touch ID is meaningless because fingerprint scanners existed on CE before the iPhone 5S. Being first means nothing if the result is substandard.

Of course, we don't know when Samsung had planned this event or if they are doing it to try to upstage Apple but this isn't the first time we've seen these tactics so it seems unlikely that it's purely a coincidence. The problem with this sort of maneuver — as we've seen time and time again — is that very few people actually care about who was first. This is business, not a marathon. It also has bearing on who was first; that's what patents are for.

What will likely happen is Samsung will make their announcement, it will get some buzz with pretty much everyone also saying "let's see what Apple does next week" and it will get quickly forgotten regardless of what Apple releases because Apple. If Apple announcing nothing then it will be deemed as Samsung is jumping the gun with unfinished ideas. If Apple announces and demos health related SW and/or HW it will get contrasted to Samsung's offering which will probably be less user-friendly in comparison. Chances are Apple will announce latter and ship sooner with a better, more thought-out foundation in place, not just a standalone feature that could be tossed in the next update.

PS: I'd reference the story of the Three Little Pigs on building well v building quick, but I'd have to change the story to have the first pig who made his house out of straw to also steal the design plans and building materials from the other two pigs.
  • Reply 108 of 118
    zerobim08zerobim08 Posts: 75member
    Samsung announced a whole range of new Gear wearable recently. So it is not a coincidence that it want to follow up with a health related event which the Gear Fit is targeted.

Apple very rarely holds any event during this time of the year. So why apple chose to hold this event so close to Samsung Gear rollout? The Gear Fit is a success and selling very well. Apple doesn't even have the iwatch yet so why is Apple rushing a health related event with Nike? I bet apple feel the threat from Samsung Gear range may derail their iwatch when it is released.
  • Reply 109 of 118
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zerobim08 View Post

Samsung announced a whole range of new Gear wearable recently. So it is not a coincidence that it want to follow up with a health related event which the Gear Fit is targeted.

Apple very rarely holds any event during this time of the year. So why apple chose to hold this event so close to Samsung Gear rollout? The Gear Fit is a success and selling very well. Apple doesn't even have the iwatch yet so why is Apple rushing a health related event with Nike? I bet apple feel the threat from Samsung Gear range may derail their iwatch when it is released.

The Gear stuff is a success? Based on what metric? Certainly not sales.

• Reply 110 of 118

So the time they announced the new Gear crap was not the proper time?
    Apple very rarely holds any event during this time of the year.

Bull fucking shit! WWDC has consistently been the first week of June since 2007 and all iOS updates have been announced during the WWDC keynote since they moved the iPhone to an Autumn launch, and before that the new iPhone was announced during the WWDC keynote. Rarely hold an event during this time of the year my ass!
    So why apple chose to hold this event so close to Samsung Gear rollout?

You mean the event Apple announced on April 3rd at 5am and the event that Samsung just "coincidentally" just announced 2 days ago?
    The Gear Fit is a success and selling very well.

What are those sales numbers? I bet the iPod Nano with the Kickstarter program that makes it a watch has sold more units than Samsung ha sold Gear.
    Apple doesn't even have the iwatch yet so why is Apple rushing a health related event with Nike?

1) Where did you read it's with Nike?

2) In what world do you live in that health can only be related to a watch?

3) What kind of moron, besides Samsung, thinks you should release HW before you ever consider how the SW will work on the device?
    I bet apple feel the threat from Samsung Gear range may derail their iwatch when it is released.

Much the same way that Apple is feeling threatened Samsung's fingerprint scanner on the Galaxy S5 being better than Touch ID on the iPhone 5S.
  • Reply 111 of 118
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member

I don't know how to break it to you but Apple holds WWDC every year at this time, then they will have another even in June too. Just because you didn't know it's been on the calendars for most of a year, doesn't mean Apple just through it up. It was Samsung who announced their event just a few days ago so I'm assuming they want to suck on the crowd who will be here for WWDC, not the other way around.

Also, Apple didn't make the announcement about Nike, Nike did that. Nike will be using the WWDC event to show off their direction to the developers who will be at WWDC. It's a perfect time for all hardware accessory manufacturers to show at WWDC.

I really can't believe the level of your cluelessness!
  • Reply 112 of 118
    The Gear stuff is a success? Based on what metric? Certainly not sales.

Samsung gear was a success in that the hole they dug to bury the unsold Gear crap was smaller then the one Microsoft dug to bury their Surface crap. ;)
  • Reply 113 of 118
    solipsismx wrote: »

What will likely happen is Samsung will make their announcement, it will get some buzz with pretty much everyone also saying "let's see what Apple does next week" and it will get quickly forgotten regardless of what Apple releases because Apple. If Apple announcing nothing then it will be deemed as Samsung is jumping the gun with unfinished ideas. If Apple announces and demos health related SW and/or HW it will get contrasted to Samsung's offering which will probably be less user-friendly in comparison. Chances are Apple will announce latter and ship sooner with a better, more thought-out foundation in place, not just a standalone feature that could be tossed in the next update.

What you described reminded me of how Palm intended to jump in front of Apple's phone announcement a few years back. The press saw it for what it was and the Palm announcement got lost in the noise over the new iPhone... If Apple is doing business as usual they won't make a single adjustment to what Samsung is doing and likely not even comment on it.
  • Reply 114 of 118
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Rarely hold an event during this time of the year my ass!

Can’t wait for Phil to say that one on stage.

WWDC has been June every year since 2003 except 2006. May before that. No clue where he’s coming from.

• Reply 115 of 118
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Samsung is so effing sad. We'll shadow Apple until we beat them that's their strategy.
  • Reply 116 of 118
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Scurry back to your dunghill.
    I think it's all about the timing. Samsung is gunning for Apple. That's the name of the game.
  • Reply 117 of 118
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zerobim08 View Post

Apple is damn slow. Galaxy S4 already has all the health sensors built in and an health app. S5 expands that with heart rate monitor. Starting from Ip5s the whatever coprocessor can only measure steps but can't do temperature and humidity like s4 which came out much earlier.

Gear Wearable is now in its second generations. It is so laughable seeing some ifans here still think Samsung copied apple when it seems like apple gonna be 1.5 to 2 years behind.

In reality apple is the one who will copy since they have 2 years to look at what samsung did and adapt its strategy before coming out with something.

Hello.....

... and goodbye!

• Reply 118 of 118
    ingsocingsoc Posts: 212member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

I see that Samsung is worried.  It has no confidence in its own engineers and designers.  So it tries to react to every rumor and leaks from Apple.  I see Samsung is still focused on coverage:  Chasing every product category that is the perceived buzz.  In a sense, there is nothing wrong with that strategy, if that is what Samsung set out to do, fill every market niche it can and have the Samsung products everywhere.

I think that you are putting forward an important point here.

To approach it from another angle; Samsung appears to be a very tactical company. Many of its products are reactive, in that they are responding to perceived market trends, rather than attempting to create new market trends.

I'd argue that Samsung is making more contributions to health with its devices than any of its competitors, but having said that, I don't see a unifying strategy behind these contributions. Their wearable products are a good example of how Samsung is apparently confused about what wearables should be. They are fiddling around the edges, and trying to ride a trend wave that is a current trend wave.

I think Apple differs because they are much more conservative about when they enter a new product segment. They tend to only enter a segment when they can contribute very significantly to it - or when they can create an entirely new segment.