Apple again rumored to build 'iWatch' components with flexible, space-saving SIP designs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    hmm wrote: »
    I would have to check whether I still even own a tie, but I doubt it.
    One can wear a tie without the suit.

The term IGZO is misused quite a bit. It refers to a material to be substituted in panel design rather than the panel type itself. I'm sure we'll eventually get to read about how Samsung copied that too, as they're likely to make use of the technology at some point. I say that because they hold a license for much of the technology surrounding it.

Companies like Apple are very happy to see such cross licensing as it avoids having all of ones eggs in one basket. Contrary to whatis often expressed in the forums here, I don't think Apple has some sort of vendetta going on to try to squeeze Samsung out of their supply lines. Rather I see them want dual sources for major components simply from the security standpoint.

Take the A series processors, one tornado can wipe out their source. It is a big risk to not have multiple foundries on line. Same thing goes for displays. Apple doesn't look for multiple sources to give their customers something to bitch about they do so to spread out risk.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    They're made in Armenia. :lol:

Don't you mean Armania?

wizard69 wrote: »

One can wear a tie with only a collar, and nothing else if you're a cartoon bear.
    Take the A series processors, one tornado can wipe out their source.

Didn't something like that happen around 2008 with HDDs which ended up greatly helping Apple?
  • Reply 43 of 46
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yes it's possible, although I hate wearing a tie. I would prefer the suit with no tie.

Quote:

Companies like Apple are very happy to see such cross licensing as it avoids having all of ones eggs in one basket. Contrary to whatis often expressed in the forums here, I don't think Apple has some sort of vendetta going on to try to squeeze Samsung out of their supply lines. Rather I see them want dual sources for major components simply from the security standpoint.

Take the A series processors, one tornado can wipe out their source. It is a big risk to not have multiple foundries on line. Same thing goes for displays. Apple doesn't look for multiple sources to give their customers something to bitch about they do so to spread out risk.

I understand the issue of managing risk. We witnessed the same issue a couple years ago with flooding in Thailand. I was having a little fun with the comment. Some of the comments on here paint a narratives and extrapolate in weird ways, including the way they categorize people. Anyway the wiki has some decent references on IGZO. It links to who has licenses and other stuff. The appeal is that it has the potential to be cheaper to implement, and power savings over amorphous silicon should help battery life in mobile devices and possibly help color stability on other devices. Especially with LED backlighting color consistency has always been a big issue due to shifts under heat. I would imagine that lower power native consumption would help with that.

• Reply 44 of 46
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Don't you mean Armania?
    One can wear a tie with only a collar, and nothing else if you're a cartoon bear.
    I can get by without the collar. As long as summer is here. ????????
    Didn't something like that happen around 2008 with HDDs which ended up greatly helping Apple?

Yes. Apple had transitioned the majority of its machines to SSD, well enough of them that the delays in getting factories back on line didn't impact Apple ass badly as some. In that case flooding in Thailand was the problem. As the A series becomes more and more important I can see Apple demanding that suppliers have geographically isolated production plants. This is likely a factor in the Samsung / Global Foundries tie up.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    I can get by without the collar. As long as summer is here. ????????
    Yes. Apple had transitioned the majority of its machines to SSD, well enough of them that the delays in getting factories back on line didn't impact Apple ass badly as some. In that case flooding in Thailand was the problem. As the A series becomes more and more important I can see Apple demanding that suppliers have geographically isolated production plants. This is likely a factor in the Samsung / Global Foundries tie up.

SonyEricsson learned that lesson the hard way when a fire in a factory in Texas wiped out supplies of cpu's for their upcoming releases, causing delays which they never recovered from.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    hill60 wrote: »
    SonyEricsson learned that lesson the hard way when a fire in a factory in Texas wiped out supplies of cpu's for their upcoming releases, causing delays which they never recovered from.

I didn't hear about that one but the old adage about having all of ones eggs in one basket applies to companies big and small. The only problem is that small companies seldom have the capacity needs to make demands upon its suppliers. Apple does and this is why I see all of the claims that Apple is trying to move away from Samsung as misguided. They might be trying to move away but the bigger possibility is that they are just CYA'ing. The Samsung / Global Foundries tie up has Apples finger prints all over it.

If you are a manager at Apple the risk of loosing a major plant, like Samsungs in Texas, has to cause sleepless nights. Even short term delays can be serious if the whole plant is impacted. Earthquakes, fires tornados and other natural disasters are just one of a range of problems that can crop up. What would happen if power transmission to the plant was cut; for a day, two days or a week?