Most office workers aren't actually using Microsoft Office

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 132
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

3. Like most people I know Office. If i spent 2 hours learning something new. The cost of non production work for that time would be greater than the license cost for the year for Office. That basically makes Office the cheapest option.

We just got some new version of Outlook. It took me 20 minutes to figure out that the menu selection I perceived as most prominent was not the one that was selected, which meant it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to send a @#$%!!! email.  NOT intuitive and completely contrary to the argument that users already "know" Office.

• Reply 122 of 132
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

To be fair, if you are comparing reading a pdf file in Safari while downloading it from the web, to reading the same pdf file in Preview when it is already on your hard drive, there are going to be differences. To take the Internet out of the equation, try reading a pdf file that is on your computer by draging it into your Safari window. I think you will notice quite a difference in how smoothly it scrolls.

The problem with Safari isn't just download speed. For some reason the rendering engine in Safari seems to really bog down when drawing vector graphics.

• Reply 123 of 132
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

there is a troubling trend in that software is continued to be devaluated. First through the Open Source movement, then through introduction of relatively low priced App store models and free Ad based models and social networks.  Companies which make their money purely from SW products (w/o adds) are finding it hard to convince people to pay a premium for their offerings and make compelling updated versions worthy of upgrade.   Many are going to a forced subscription models like Adobe and Microsoft because of this upgrade issue.    I'm not sure it will be successful based on the backlash I have observed from users.   I fear that pure SW companies as we know it are in trouble.  

You realize that O365 is one of MS's fastest growing businesses right now?  It is a $2.5 Billion business for MS and growing.

• Reply 124 of 132
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post

This is another embarrassing article from Daniel.

Interesting way to say "Hello" and set the tone of what is about to follow.

It's be coming par for the course from apple nsider these days.

nice.

I know it's an Apple fanboy site

classy..

but I'd like to think of myself (and others) as intelligent and unbiased Apple fans.

obviously and it shows. Could you turn down the volume a bit and change tone. I think it might help with convincing people  of your self perceived intelligence and being "unbiased". 

At my company which is >20,000 we use Office (go figure) and it is a necessity if you are doing any form of serious financial analysis.

all 20000 people doing serious financial analysis using Office.  Impressive.  What do they do for fun?

• Reply 125 of 132
    I work for siemens in the uk and those of us who use windows 8 are starting to use WordEditor. It's a cheep app on the windows store. Lacks a lot of feature of word but it does everything we need it to do and it's touch enabled.
  • Reply 126 of 132
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Here is an interesting article regarding Google apps for education:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/google-612162-students-company.html?page=1

I read a few other related articles, but not this one, thanks.

My favorite line:

“This is just an announcement to try to stem parent anger,” he said. “What is going to happen with the data that has already been collected?”

Followed by: A Google spokeswoman said Wednesday that executives would not comment beyond Bout’s short blog post.

Weasels.

Kids' data is being strongly targeted by many "education-related" organizations now. They need legal protection, and while I'm not sure COPPA is great, it's what we have and it needs to be enforced!
  • Reply 127 of 132
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Most office workers [S]aren't[/S] [I][B]can't[/B][/I] actually [S]using[/S] [I][B]use[/B][/I] Microsoft Office ...

There, I fixed the error in the article heading.
  • Reply 128 of 132
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

this last point is very good.   Also a reason not to upgrade to a new version of Office or Windows for some people. 

Agreed. Human inertia explains so many things.

At my office, most people use Office in very non-demanding ways, including some curious ones - a manager who takes all of his meeting notes in Powerpoint, for example. Very few exercise anything near 20% of the suite's features and functions, and easily more than 90% of what is done could be accomplished using Google Drive, Apple Pages/Numbers, or other products.

But that doesn't matter. This is a 30-year-old tech company, and many of the people here are still clinging to Windows XP and Office 2003. The reason is simple: they don't like change. Period. It doesn't matter that there are better/simpler/cheaper products to them, or even that newer systems are far more stable and secure - it's change, and they have a lot of personal capital invested in stuff learned long, long ago.

• Reply 129 of 132
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Hilarious! You're happy for Google to read your emails but not your spreadsheets? It's like saying to Satan that you're happy for him to gently hold red hot pokers against your eyes, but tickling your feet? That's a big no no.

I should have rephrased my post to show my disgust in that Google already reads my email. I stopped using Gmail when it was revealed that they read all my messages. However, that doesn't stop them from reading messages I send to gmail users. Big brother is here as Google and there are few privacy laws to limit their snooping activities.

• Reply 130 of 132
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

I should have rephrased my post to show my disgust in that Google already reads my email. I stopped using Gmail when it was revealed that they read all my messages.

Dude, that was the first day they announced the service! Still, glad to hear you've seen the light. I don't understand why people (anyone) thinks it's okay to communicate through a system like that.

Quote:
    However, that doesn't stop them from reading messages I send to gmail users.

BINGO! This is the problem that most people just don't get. Even if your friend makes a conscious (foolish) decision to allow google to peer into their deepest thoughts, they don't get to make that decision for others, and yet google has publicly stated that anyone who has contact with their users via gmail is fair game for reading those emails, and the implication is, of course, to create profiles of those non-gmail users as well. That's bullshit, and there are multiple lawsuits under way now, addressing this.

Unfortunately, the various groups that were attempting to combine their suits under a single class-action case were denied that option. See: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/03/lawsuit-against-google-for-wiretapping-denied-class-action-status/ Given how different the individual cases are, that's not unreasonable. However, I think a different class-action that simply represents people who never took any action to communicate via google at all will have legs, and I think ultimately google stands to lose that case.

Quote:
    Big brother is here as Google and there are few privacy laws to limit their snooping activities.

Yep, and unfortunately, it looks like the only way to slow down the insane level of spying on humans everywhere that google is able to do (and others), will be via legislation. It can't come soon enough.
  • Reply 131 of 132
    Office is just kind of overpriced and not collaborative. I use Google docs for everything but publisher, which I've replaced with this tool: http://www.cultofmac.com/362802/publisher-for-mac-lucidpress-sponsored-post/