Samsung to challenge $120M damages award in Apple patent suit

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 44
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post



    Whatever. Where are all the trolls who claimed Apple spent more on attorneys' fees than they won in this judgment? Even though Quinn Emanuel and partners charged Samsung a higher hourly rate (across the board) than Apple's lawyers. And now Samsung is going to spend even more to reduce or eliminate the $120M judgment on top of what they've already spent on both trials which they lost, and yet all the trolls wanna focus on is Apple's supposed "pyrrhic victory"? Please. Do the math. Apple is 2 for 2.

    Someone asked the question regarding attorney fees, they weren't making a statement. If your going to do the math then Apple got 5% of what they were asking for in this trial. In the first trial also fell short. Damages are the only math that matter. Everyone is trying to spin in their head how Apple is winning they aren't. 

     

    The massive judgement and damages the world has ever seen is never going to come. Samsung clearly has a set strategy they will continue to pound Apple with appeals while making more money then they pay out. 

     

    Apple and Samsung need to agree on a settlement and move forward. 

  • Reply 22 of 44
    Waiting for a bigger screen iPhone now!
  • Reply 23 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    atlapple wrote: »
    Someone asked the question regarding attorney fees, they weren't making a statement. If your going to do the math then Apple got 5% of what they were asking for in this trial. In the first trial also fell short. Damages are the only math that matter. Everyone is trying to spin in their head how Apple is winning they aren't. 

    The massive judgement and damages the world has ever seen is never going to come. Samsung clearly has a set strategy they will continue to pound Apple with appeals while making more money then they pay out. 

    Apple and Samsung need to agree on a settlement and move forward. 
    They need to agree on a settlement but Samsung will never do that. The longer they can draw this out and make Apple look like the bad guy more interested in litigating than innovating (again NOT my opinion but the media spin that's out there) the better it is for them. I'm sure Samsung lawyers had a huge smile on their faces when the jury foreman questioned why Apple isn't suing Google instead.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,388member
    Whatever. Where are all the trolls who claimed Apple spent more on attorneys' fees than they won in this judgment?

    IIRC it was SolipsismX that brought it up here first. I don't think you or anyone else would consider him a troll. In fact he's one of the more balanced posters here IMO.

    That "troll" meme is being used so much at AI it barely has any meaning or impact anymore. Seems as tho it's more often used simply as a lazy attempt at being dismissive when a rational considered response is just too much of an effort.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    ewtheckmanewtheckman Posts: 309member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

     

    Someone asked the question regarding attorney fees, they weren't making a statement. If your going to do the math then Apple got 5% of what they were asking for in this trial. In the first trial also fell short. Damages are the only math that matter. Everyone is trying to spin in their head how Apple is winning they aren't. 

     

    The massive judgement and damages the world has ever seen is never going to come. Samsung clearly has a set strategy they will continue to pound Apple with appeals while making more money then they pay out. 

     

    Apple and Samsung need to agree on a settlement and move forward. 


     

    I don't think it's about the money to Samsung, it's about crushing their competitors. Pay the money to the lawyers. Pay the money to the courts. But whatever you do, avoid paying money to the people you've stolen from.

  • Reply 26 of 44
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    The google to sue samsung for their crappy touchwiz android software. I don't like samsung's touchwiz android software. So please shut up samsung and to pay damn your bills.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

    Thanks GTR for the article, amazing!  What if all of the big players who have been getting ripped off by Samsung got together to fight Samscum collectively?

  • Reply 28 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,110member

    People keep thinking this is all about Samsung vs. Apple, which is far from the truth.  This is more about Samsung's business plan to profit by stealing everyone's IP, and tie up lawsuits in court while they continue profiting from those products.



    To-date, no one has had wallets deep enough to stand up to Samsung for the long term.  Now, Apple is in the perfect position to do just that. Apple is representing not just themselves, but the the Bosches, Dysons, and Pioneers of the world too.  Someone is finally standing up and saying "enough is enough".  



    Good for Apple.  I truly hope Apple takes it to the very end, scorching Samsung in the process.  They certainly deserve it.



    That vanity fair article simply proved what many people already know about Samsung.  When it comes to purchasing any kind of product, be it electronics or appliances, Samsung is immediately not included in our purchasing decisions.  I will not directly purchase anything with their name on it.  Screw those degenerates.

  • Reply 29 of 44
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,488member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post



    Whatever. Where are all the trolls who claimed Apple spent more on attorneys' fees than they won in this judgment?

     

    I'm not sure about here, but I've seen figures bantered around from over $100 million to as high as $600 million.

     

    The first case cost Apple somewhere around $60 million. They applied to the court to have Samsung pay a portion of the fees, and had to provide an accurate account of the expenses.

     

    I'm quite sure this case cost them significantly less. The first case involved a lot of discovery, and I'm sure that a good portion of the evidence they dug up the first time around would have been applicable to this case. When lawyers are looking for evidence, they don't know where it is or what they'll find - they simply get as many documents as possible and then sift through them looking for items that pertain to the case at hand. Any juicy bits they find not related to the trial (but possible related to other infringement) would simply get documented and filed away.

     

    So it's quite reasonable to assume that this case cost them less than $60 million. By how much we don't know.

     

    So even with a $119 million payout, Apple still comes ahead financially even thought the most important aspect is chalking up a win.

  • Reply 30 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

     

    People keep thinking this is all about Samsung vs. Apple, which is far from the truth.  This is more about Samsung's business plan to profit by stealing everyone's IP, and tie up lawsuits in court while they continue profiting from those products.



    To-date, no one has had wallets deep enough to stand up to Samsung for the long term.  Now, Apple is in the perfect position to do just that. Apple is representing not just themselves, but the the Bosches, Dysons, and Pioneers of the world too.  Someone is finally standing up and saying "enough is enough".  



    Good for Apple.  I truly hope Apple takes it to the very end, scorching Samsung in the process.  They certainly deserve it.



    That vanity fair article simply proved what many people already know about Samsung.  When it comes to purchasing any kind of product, be it electronics or appliances, Samsung is immediately not included in our purchasing decisions.  I will not directly purchase anything with their name on it.  Screw those degenerates.


     

    It's an exercise in futility. Take this lawsuit as an example. 100 million? That's fucking pennies to Samsung, and it's going to get appealed and possibly even lowered. Samsung has gotten the message that it can get away with this- and it has done so. Doesn't help that most jurors do not really understand this shit, nor do they have proper context of technological history- and Samsung is great and obfuscating the issues and muddying everything by throwing counter-accusations and lawsuits.  Even if Apple was awarded the full $2.2Billion (VERY reasonable damages, given how much Samsung has profited) it would still be nothing. The only positive thing about this is that Apple is forcing Samsung to burn a fuckload of money on legal fees. Thats literally the most damage I see being done. 

  • Reply 31 of 44
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post



    That "troll" meme is being used so much at AI it barely has any meaning or impact anymore. Seems as tho it's more often used simply as a lazy attempt at being dismissive when a rational considered response is just too much of an effort.

     

    Now you're just being racist.  ;)

  • Reply 32 of 44
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,481member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR View Post



    Here's an interesting article on Samsung and how they work:



    http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2014/06/apple-samsung-smartphone-patent-war.print



    Any Samsung fans should have a good read about the company that makes their choice of smartphone/tablet.



    (Thanks to Sol for passing this on to me)

    And this right here says it all:

    I represented Samsung and they couldn’t tell the truth if their lives depended on it.” - Sam Baxter, a patent lawyer who once handled a case for Samsung.

     

    The Apple vs Samsung goes to show how useless the USPTO and the FTC can be when faced with a company that has no regard for the law.  Apple should invest in a baseball bat and aim for the knees.

  • Reply 33 of 44
    peterbobpeterbob Posts: 60member
    Samsung is as shameless as it gets. The problem with this trial is it had nothing to do with Samsung. All the patents used are all core to android not touchwiz.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    spock1234spock1234 Posts: 161member

    Juge Koh has demonstrated that she will not grant an injunction against Samsung's products, no matter what. Her application of a ridiculous and extreme interpretation of the 'causality link' guidance provided by the Appeals court showed that. Her refusal to grant an injunction even after the Appeals court clarified its guidance and her application of a standard that no innovator could ever meet, sent Samsung a clear message that they could do whatever it wanted without consequences. This, coupled with her complete indifference to Samsung's lies and disregard for the court's rules, has eliminated any pretense of impartiality in her courtroom.

     

    ?It is time Apple filed a motion to remove Koh from this case and get a Judge with a spine. 

  • Reply 35 of 44
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    They need to agree on a settlement but Samsung will never do that. The longer they can draw this out and make Apple look like the bad guy more interested in litigating than innovating (again NOT my opinion but the media spin that's out there) the better it is for them. I'm sure Samsung lawyers had a huge smile on their faces when the jury foreman questioned why Apple isn't suing Google instead.

    The Google issue is a good way and will continue to be a good way to confuse a jury, or I should say to cast doubt which is really all Samsung needs to do. Just my opinion but I think Samsung is going to drag this out and ride on the back of Apple until they can get away from using their modified Android OS and move over to a platform they design. Honestly if you look at Samsung's UI over Kit Kat it looks like Windows 8. 

     

    Not sure how long this will go on but a settlement would be nice, Samsung makes high quality components and I would rather see them as a supplier over LG or Sharp. 

  • Reply 36 of 44
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Justice system in USA is broke,
    Period!

    Crime pays and money talks !

    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/42713/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 37 of 44
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    atlapple wrote: »
    Someone asked the question regarding attorney fees, they weren't making a statement. If your going to do the math then Apple got 5% of what they were asking for in this trial. In the first trial also fell short. Damages are the only math that matter. Everyone is trying to spin in their head how Apple is winning they aren't. 

    The massive judgement and damages the world has ever seen is never going to come. Samsung clearly has a set strategy they will continue to pound Apple with appeals while making more money then they pay out. 

    Apple and Samsung need to agree on a settlement and move forward. 

    No. If you had bothered to read the Vanity Fair article that someone linked, you would see that settlement is Samsung's end game. Settlement means Apple accepts and condones infringement of its IP rights. Nice try.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    No. If you had bothered to read the Vanity Fair article that someone linked, you would see that settlement is Samsung's end game. Settlement means Apple accepts and condones infringement of its IP rights. Nice try.
    What I say I am going bust the samsung's rear. I don't like any Samsung products because the samsung products are garbage.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    The google should to do dump the samsung phone maker and tear the samsung phone maker contacts.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

    They are everywhere! Slowly but surely taking over our world ...

     

    RUN for your life!

     

     

     

     

     

     

    http://www.linkedin.com/vsearch/p?firstName=sam&lastName=sung&orig=SEO_SN&trk=SEO_SN&csrfToken=ajax:6610051863763635946&domainCountryName=

Sign In or Register to comment.