Apple Store confirmed for World Trade Center as work begins on Upper East Side outlet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
Apple is preparing to boost its presence in New York with a space in the upcoming World Trade Center site mall and a nearly century-old converted bank building, both of which are scheduled to open in 2015.

According to a report by New York real estate publication The Real Deal, Apple is on the list of high-end retailers expected to open up shop in the upcoming World Trade Center mega mall.

Developed by Westfield Group, the 365,000-square-foot, multi-level mall will feature a striking central structure designed by fame architect and sculptor Santiago Calatrava. Seen above in an artist rendering, the skeleton-like building will house tenants both above and below ground.

Apple was first reported to be nearing a lease agreement in September of last year, but confirmation of a deal has been pending. Sources now say Apple, which is expected to lease an underground space, did not take kindly to the rib-like columns of Calatrava's design that extend downward into the lower levels of the building.

Other retailers have expressed similar concern over the structures, which are said to block storefront space that could be used for signage and product displays. Apple apparently offered an alternative design, but was rebuffed by developers.

As seen in the image above, the WTC Apple Store will take residence in what looks to be a corner space adjacent to Michael Kors and across from John Varvatos.

A separate report from ifo Apple Store claims another Manhattan Apple Store project is currently underway in a 93-year-old bank building on the Upper East Side.

Sources say Apple has started renovations to a historic limestone and marble building on the corner of East 74th Street and Madison Avenue first occupied in 1921 by United States Mortgage and Trust Company. Designed by architect Henry O. Chapman, the original build cost is estimated to be around $600,000, which comes out to more than $7 million after adjusting for inflation.

Aside from minor renovation, the interior of the building has seen surprisingly little change after changing hands from various banks, an art gallery and the current occupant, high-end handbag maker VBH.

According to the publication, floor pace stands at 4,000 square-feet at the ground level, a 1,000-square-foot mezzanine and a 4,000-square-foot basement. Considering the current construction schedule, Apple's sixth Manhattan store could open by the end of 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Looking at the other brands in the mall directory, it looks like Apple is joining some very nice company. :)

• Reply 2 of 22
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member
    At the mall near me they have the Apple Store one floor above and directly across from Victoria's Secret Pink. When Pink opened it was on the same day as an Apple launch (iPad I think). So you had two huge line-ups at the same time, with one line having a large number of tech geeks and the other one mostly made up of "babes". And watching all the guys at Apple looking over at the girls at Pink.

Then the Microsoft Store opened and it happens to be directly across from Victoria's Secret, who have several large video walls with scantily clad models parading up and down. It's funny when the store isn't busy and the guys are standing around staring across at the models.

When I saw this new mall I noticed Victoria's Secret was also listed and made me think it would have been funny if it was right by the Apple Store.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Does Apple try to buy any of the space it puts up its Apple Store? I've read that McDonald's has so much property that it's the largest real estate holder in the world that isn't sovereign nation and they have large department simply for maximizing investment properties. Could Apple be doing the same thing? There will never be Apple Stores the way there are McDonald's but I'd think that Apple's long-term outlook could make such properties increase profits simply buy being owned.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Does Apple try to buy any of the space it puts up in Apple Store? I've read that McDonald's has so much property that it's the largest real estate holder in the world that isn't sovereign nation and they have large department simply for maximizing investment properties. Could Apple be doing the same thing? There will be Apple Stores the way there are McDonald's but I'd think that Apple's long-term outlook could make such properties increase profits simply buy being owned.

That's a very good question. I wish AppleInsider would dig into that, instead of the usual click bait editorials :)
  • Reply 5 of 22
    imatimat Posts: 208member
    Hope that Longines, Montblanc and Breitling don't get too angry if Apple launches a watch... Would be funny to see what happens. Maybe one of those spaces becomes free for Burberry's...
  • Reply 6 of 22
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Hope that Longines, Montblanc and Breitling don't get too angry if Apple launches a watch... Would be funny to see what happens. Maybe one of those spaces becomes free for Burberry's...

Different buyer all together, though I don't doubt a person who buy's the brands you listed won't dabble in an iWatch they defiantly wouldn't wear it to work or social functions. It's more of a fashion over function kind of thing.

• Reply 7 of 22
    imatimat Posts: 208member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Different buyer all together, though I don't doubt a person who buy's the brands you listed won't dabble in an iWatch they defiantly wouldn't wear it to work or social functions. It's more of a fashion over function kind of thing.

Well, I partly agree. The "reason" for buying an eventual "iWatch" will be different than the one of buying a Longines and, much lesser so, a Breitling watch.

As far as the buyers?

They are the same demographic. The middle to high class, style-conscious ones that made so much of the success of the iPhone. Breitling in particular isn't Rolex or Audemars Piguet (the highest of the highest of watch maker brands (you could name many more)).

I, for one, think that it is exactly the ones like Tissot, Omega, Breitling, Fossil, (and the branded watches made under license like Armani, Calvin Klein) that will see their shares decrease in the event of an iWatch launch (if the iWatch looks like the round "classical" style floating around the interwebs).

• Reply 8 of 22
    morkymorky Posts: 200member

Brooklyn would be the fourth largest city in America if not part of NYC, and yet we still have no Apple store, while Manhattan is awash in them.

• Reply 9 of 22
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Go Brooklyn!

• Reply 10 of 22
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Go Brooklyn!

Haaaaay, welcome to the F**k'n Brooklyn Apple Store, names Tony, saays so right here on my f**k'n shirt in case your retarted or somtin, so you guy's f**k'n buy'n somtin today or jus wastin my mother f**k'n time. F**k'n tourists, can you believe dos guy's Tony, dat chick had a nice f**k'n rack doe, they were like two Buicks in a tent.

• Reply 11 of 22
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    morky wrote: »
    Brooklyn would be the fourth largest city in America if not part of NYC, and yet we still have no Apple store, while Manhattan is awash in them.

Plus I'm sure that Brooklyn has the highest per capita hipster population.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    relic wrote: »

Haaaaay, welcome to the F**k'n Brooklyn Apple Store, names Tony, saays so right here on my f**k'n shirt in case your retarted or somtin, so you guy's f**k'n buy'n somtin today or jus wastin my mother f**k'n time. F**k'n tourists, can you believe dos guy's Tony, dat chick had a nice f**k'n rack doe, they were like two Buicks in a tent.

Thanks for the laugh.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Does Apple try to buy any of the space it puts up its Apple Store? I've read that McDonald's has so much property that it's the largest real estate holder in the world that isn't sovereign nation and they have large department simply for maximizing investment properties. Could Apple be doing the same thing? There will never be Apple Stores the way there are McDonald's but I'd think that Apple's long-term outlook could make such properties increase profits simply buy being owned.

Re Mickey Ds, So the mother company buys the land and building for every franchisee and leases that as part of the package? That's an interesting set up. I doubt Apple could ever buy most of the real estate where their stores are however, just look at the locations.
  • Reply 14 of 22

Not to mention, the most populous of the boroughs.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    They're really still planking on calling the thing the "freedom tower"? After the terrorists succeeded in their goal of killing our freedoms, as our wonderful "leaders" used the attacks as justification to really start in on killing off civil liberties, and make air travel a nightmare of PR lies, abuse, incompetency, and idiocy?

Lets expunge the rest of free speech, make protesting outright illegal, and then build a "monument to democracy" at the supreme count (a statue of protesters and reporters).
  • Reply 16 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dysamoria wrote: »
    They're really still planking on calling the thing the "freedom tower"? After the terrorists succeeded in their goal of killing our freedoms, as our wonderful "leaders" used the attacks as justification to really start in on killing off civil liberties, and make air travel a nightmare of PR lies, abuse, incompetency, and idiocy?

Lets expunge the rest of free speech, make protesting outright illegal, and then build a "monument to democracy" at the supreme count (a statue of protesters and reporters).

They hate us for our Freedom...Tower.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Does Apple have any stand alone stores? I think they do own some retail buildings but usually Apple puts stores in shopping centers.

You have the Nets. :)
    dysamoria wrote: »

I think the official name is One World Trade Center
  • Reply 18 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I think the official name is One World Trade Center

It’s definitely One World Trade Center now. Which is good, because that makes it all the easier to build a Two World Trade Center like they should have.

• Reply 19 of 22
    It’s definitely One World Trade Center now. Which is good, because that makes it all the easier to build a Two World Trade Center like they should have.

Now there's a potential use for some of Apple's Billions! Apple build Two World Trade Center and dub it 'The Apple Building' in the Big Apple! :smokey:
  • Reply 20 of 22
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

No, it's called One World Trade Center. Freedom Tower is no longer the official name. Now leave me in peace while I enjoy my freedom fries.