What computer is this?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Check out:

<a href="http://mavericks.gamigo.de/stuff/potd/show.php?id=50"; target="_blank">http://mavericks.gamigo.de/stuff/potd/show.php?id=50</a>;

Leaving aside the presence of so many Steve Ballmer clones, doesn't that look like a Mac OS 9 desktop?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    20th Anniversary Mac.

very cool mac. perhaps the coolest one ever along with the original, the TiBook, the iMac and the Cube
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Nope. I have a TAM sitting right here next to me and that's no TAM. It's lower, wider, has a much different stand (feet, I mean) and is a different color. The monitor looks like a 15" LCD. The TAM has a 10.1" LCD.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    That definately isn't a TAM. It looks like it but it's different.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    And this belongs in General Discussion since it's not about Future Hardware so ypu'll find it there...
  • Reply 5 of 15
    It was published in a magazine some time ago, perhaps 1996 or 1997... as you might be able to see, the monkeys are in a library, and I think the library was the most important part. I really wish I could remember.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    LOL, I've been planning to scan and post that picture here for literally years. It is on the cover of the Sep 1996 National Geographic World-- the only edition I have of that magazine. I don't even know how i got it :-P
  • Reply 7 of 15
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I know that would make an acceptable iMac replacement, at least to my eyes. With a little Jonathan Ive interpretation, natch.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I am shocked Applenut incorrectly identified a computer as a TAM.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    i saw that machine in mac user several years back(mac user us, not uk). it was in an article titled "The Future of the Mac". that was one of the possible designs that the mac could have evolved into, and did, sort of, w/ the TAM. ill see if i can find the issue later.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I am shocked Applenut incorrectly identified a computer as a TAM. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I know right

I just quickly looked at it. saw the speakers and the color and thought it was a TAM. After looking through my AppleDesign book I would say it was a prototype of the TAM. It's a TAM without the optical drive
  • Reply 11 of 15
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    I had the same first reaction as Applenut...I looked at it, thought "TAM!", then figured it must have been one of the prototypes because it was lacking the circuler stand.

Correction: The TAM had a 12.1" 800 x 600 LCD display borrowed from the 3400 series ("Hooper"), not a 10.1" LCD display.

Shocking applenut, you mis-identified a Mac!

• Reply 12 of 15
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    The quote underneath translates as "Microsoft programmers at work"

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Amorya ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ...it's nickname is Spartacus!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Right-o. It's codename was not only Spartacus but also Smoke and Mirrors, among others which I forget...time to check Apple-History.com heh.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    ...oh man, apple-history.com brings so much joy!

You're right, Spartacus, Pomona, Smoke & Mirrors (I remember the name Spartacus from a story on CNN back on the days when Apple was about to go belly-up). I remember how they talk about the meaning of Spartacus - the resuraction of a hero or something like that.