Nintendo loses another half-billion dollars as console sales slide

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member

You know this was coming, so I'll indulge you. Apple should just buy this company outright. Culturally, they're a perfect match for each other.

• Reply 22 of 75
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

I know for a fact that Nintendo could make a windfall profit by porting their Mario and Zelda titles over to the iOS platform...no doubt. HUGE demand for this!!

• Reply 23 of 75
    pinolopinolo Posts: 91member
    Give me rocksmith on the appletv and I'm sold (throw in assassins creed for goo measure). So I can skip the next gen consoles
  • Reply 24 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    wardc wrote: »
    I know for a fact that Nintendo could make a windfall profit by porting their Mario and Zelda titles over to the iOS platform...no doubt. HUGE demand for this!!

That is their last, best hope. That or merge with Blackberry and add a real keyboard ... Ok that was facetious.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    pinolo wrote: »
    Give me rocksmith on the appletv and I'm sold (throw in assassins creed for goo measure). So I can skip the next gen consoles

I have to think the next Apple TV will support 4K too.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    flashfan207flashfan207 Posts: 291member
    gustav wrote: »
    I have a Wii U, and really like it. I don't get time to play games a lot so it has enough to keep me going. Nintendo always wants to have a lower cost console, and I think it hurt them this time because they didn't have a new differentiator like the Wii did to entice gamers to buy it. The second screen (GamePad) just wasn't as well received as it could have been. The GamePad is great for some games, but it is under-utilitized by others. The DS took a while for devs to figure out how to make good use of a second screen, so hopefully the same will happen with the Wii U.

I also love my Wii U. The GamePad is absolutely fantastic, but many developers do not utilize it to its fullest capacity. Obviously all the party games use it in fun and interesting ways, but others don't. Rayman is an example of it done right and was so terrific that I recommend that to everyone. My Wii U collection is now even larger than my Xbox 360 ever was. I think for anyone even considering buying a Wii U, they should grab one. They will not be disappointed. So much fun! Mario Kart 8 is going to be awesome and I simply canNOT wait for its release. The Wii U has made me excited for video games again in a way that I have not been for years.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That is their last, best hope. That or merge with Blackberry and add a real keyboard ... Ok that was facetious.

People have been waiting for Nintendo to port the Mario series as sell as Zelda to the iOS for a long time. But since Nintendo sells their proprietary Nintendo DS systems for playing these titles specifically, they are not allowing this to happen. They are keeping the Mario ecosystem, a closed one, and only playable on Nintendo branded hardware or consoles.

• Reply 28 of 75
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WardC View Post

They are keeping the Mario ecosystem, a closed one, and only playable on Nintendo branded hardware or consoles.

And that's working out real well for them, isn't it?

Nintendo needs to swallow their damn pride and recognize that the gaming industry and gaming trends have changed. 

It's time for Nintendo to join 2014 and release their titles for iOS.

I love Nintendo games, but I'm not interested in buying any Nintendo hardware. This is not 1985 anymore. I would definitely buy some Nintendo titles to play on my iOS devices though, and so would many millions of other people.

• Reply 29 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And that's working out real well for them, isn't it?

Nintendo needs to swallow their damn pride and recognize that the gaming industry and gaming trends have changed. 

It's time for Nintendo to join 2014 and release their titles for iOS.

I love Nintendo games, but I'm not interested in buying any Nintendo hardware. This is not 1985 anymore. I would definitely buy some Nintendo titles to play on my iOS devices though, and so would many millions of other people.

Yes I agree with this. I love Nintendo's titles, but I have not owned a Nintendo console since the Super Nintendo. Not even a mobile console since the Game Boy!

• Reply 30 of 75
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Nintendo could port all their titles to every other device, but then they would never have any success again in the hardware business. Its essentially what Sega did after the Dreamcast flopped.

Seems a bit drastic though, to throw a whole business away when your latest version of a console is a dud. The Game Cube wasn't that great and at the time it seemed like they were going to die in hardware. But then the Wii came out and everyone bought it, even non gamers bought it.

If the next console fails, then they need to give up. Right now they just need to minimise losses and work on a plan for the next console or other device.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    wardc wrote: »
    Yes I agree with this. I love Nintendo's titles, but I have not owned a Nintendo console since the Super Nintendo. Not even a mobile console since the Game Boy!

An exclusive for iOS would be good but I worry their main audience are mostly an Android demographic now, not iOS, or am I wrong?
  • Reply 32 of 75
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

An exclusive for iOS would be good but I worry their main audience are mostly an Android demographic now, not iOS, or am I wrong?

I think that you're wrong, as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure that you're wrong. Where did you ever get that crazy idea?

Nintendo is obviously Japanese, and iOS is huge in Japan. Japan is not some third world country that flocks to Android like certain poor countries do. Look up the iOS stats and marketshare for Japan (iPhone, iPad), compared to other countries and you'll see what I mean.

As far as games in general goes, the audience is all mostly iOS. That's where the consumers with money are. Nintendo would obviously be concentrating on releasing their titles for iOS before anything else, unless they wish to continue losing money.

• Reply 33 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

Can't wait for Marion Kart 8.

It certainly looks nice, though the racer lineup is pretty pathetic given the scope of the Mario franchise. I remain interested in the new Super Smash Bros, but not enough to justify a WiiU purchase outright. And Pikmin 3 would be fun to play; I certainly enjoyed the first two.

Hmm. I’m not sure where you’d get that. Nintendo is basically the Apple of gaming.

• Reply 34 of 75
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If CandyCrush can make Billions in revenue a year imagine how much Zelda, Mario, Metroid, ect could make?

What a lost opportunity for Nintendo.

King that makes CandyCrush netted over $500M from that single game last year. 

Which means that ONE Nintendo title on the App Store could potentially offset the company-wide losses for the calendar year.

Unbelievable how stubborn they are. Stereotypically, the Japanese are notorious for this behavior....running things into the ground instead of ever admitting defeat, and making any rational attempt to salvage things. Nintendo is likely no exception, and will drown before ever reach for the life preserver that sitting right in front of them.

• Reply 35 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    How about that. Ten replies and nobody has yet called this NintendoInsider.  ;)  

I came her specifically to look to see who would make that comment. I guess that only happens (in a serious manner) when the company is despised.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    mikhailtmikhailt Posts: 37member

I'd suspect unless Apple release their major AppleTV update with support for iOS 7 controllers, Amazon's FireTV might start eating more of the market share from Nintendo and Apple. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why doesn't Apple just design & sell its own controller?

They are probably biding their time. It's better to let others try and fail then to build your own by learning from the failures. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

So what does this have to do with Apple? Yet MORE reporting on un-Apple related things. They've already missed a shit load of stories this morning yet they continue to spew out crap unrelated to Apple. 

I seriously think they need to change the name of their site to something else. Really, they report on everything so I think the site needs a new name. Maybe TechInsider or something. 

It has to do with Apple because Apple's pretty much owning the casual gaming market, which Nintendo used to be the dominant market leader. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

You know this was coming, so I'll indulge you. Apple should just buy this company outright. Culturally, they're a perfect match for each other.

I agree, I'd love to see Apple buy Nintendo and but I wouldn't let Nintendo do hardware. They don't seem to have a good grasp on that considering the losses they've kept gathering on their consoles. 

Nintendo has the best creative first-party libraries of games on the planet. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

People have been waiting for Nintendo to port the Mario series as sell as Zelda to the iOS for a long time. But since Nintendo sells their proprietary Nintendo DS systems for playing these titles specifically, they are not allowing this to happen. They are keeping the Mario ecosystem, a closed one, and only playable on Nintendo branded hardware or consoles.

Nintendo won't have a choice unless they drop out of the console market and only focus on handheld gaming market to stop bleeding from its console devision, they won't have enough money to fund development of further Mario and other first party IPs they have.

However, that handheld market is pretty much dominated by Apple/Google, Nintendo won't survive long there.  Android devices are getting cheaper and cheaper while increasing its quality every year. The most recent is nVidia Shield. 

Mario and other IPs will show up on other consoles as the last resort. 

• Reply 37 of 75
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    My son has a Wii. What we found disappointing is that recent multiple platform games are available for both 3DS and WiiU but not Wii such as the latest Lego or don't have all the functions on Wii such as Disney infinity. I guess they hope we will purchase a WiiU but nothing I have seen has really sold the upgrade. Hands on at the local toy store has done nothing to make us want to upgrade either. Perhaps if they did more to sell the advantages we might change our mind.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

nothing I have seen has really sold the upgrade.

1080p, full backward compatibility, modern connectivity support (as you mentioned), playable without taking up a television in the house…

• Reply 39 of 75
    It certainly looks nice, though the racer lineup is pretty pathetic given the scope of the Mario franchise. I remain interested in the new Super Smash Bros, but not enough to justify a WiiU purchase outright. And Pikmin 3 would be fun to play; I certainly enjoyed the first two.

Hmm. I’m not sure where you’d get that. Nintendo is basically the Apple of gaming.

I was thinking the age of those that would be interested would be quite young. Sorry not my area of knowledge.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    flashfan207flashfan207 Posts: 291member
    I most definitely would not hold my breath for Nintendo to develop games for their competitors' consoles/devices. They literally have billions in reserve to sustain them for quite a while. 3DS sales remain very strong and will keep Nintendo going until Wii U sales pick up.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/03/nintendo-not-doomed/

For those of you still on the fence about buying a Wii U, and if the current games lineup and some great stuff coming very soon aren't enough to entice you (but really, compared to many of the Apple products you've all shelled out for, $300 bucks is a steal), then I would recommend you wait for a couple months. To coincide with Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Zelda, X, Project Cars, Watch Dogs (and others, but those all come to mind immediately), and countless indie projects, a $50 price reduction is very strongly rumored to be coming. Seriously, the system is tons of fun; you won't be disappointed.