Supply chain sales data suggests Apple had strong month of April

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited May 2014
Apple suppliers had a particularly strong month of April, suggesting that shipments to the iPhone maker may have been stronger than their traditional seasonal average as the company ramps up for new product introductions, new data shows.

Responsibility Report

Analyst Brian White of Cantor Fitzgerald keeps tabs on Apple's supply chain with his monthly "Apple Barometer." With preliminary April sales for 97% of tracked Apple suppliers now reported, White found that sales were up 7 percent month over month, he said in a note to investors Wednesday obtained by AppleInsider.

Over the last 9 years, Apple suppliers have seen their sales fall 1 percent month over month in April. White said his data shows this year may have been close to a record for suppliers' month-to-month growth in April.

White's Apple Barometer correctly signaled in early April that Apple's March quarter results could be stronger than Wall Street expected. Apple did in fact come in ahead of market forecasts for the quarter, helping to propel a recent surge in its share price.

As for the full June quarter, it's taken on a much less important role for Apple in recent years. White's Apple Barometer shows that over the last 9 years, the June quarter has represented a 10 percent quarter-over-quarter increase, but singling out the last two years shows that sales dropped 9 percent sequentially.

That's because beginning with the iPhone 4S in 2011, Apple shifted from a June-July launch timeframe for its latest handset to a fall debut. Compounding the issue is the fact that Apple no longer launches new iPads in the March-April period, opting instead to wait until the fall.

Audit
Worker prepares iPhone for final assembly. | Source: Apple Supplier Responsibility Report

As such, while the June quarter used to be a major part of Apple's fiscal year, the summer periods are now something of a dry spell for the company.

White, like many others, expects things will ramp up in the second half of 2014, when he expects a new "iPhone 6" and revamped iPads, fitting with Apple's most recent seasonal schedule. He also believes that the company will launch a so-called "iWatch" later this year.

"With Apple's March quarter results out of the way a couple of weeks ago, and WWDC on the horizon in June, we believe more investors will be getting more actively involved with the name ahead of this product cycle, during what we have dubbed as the 'Year of Innovation,'" White said.

The Cantor Fitzgerald analyst remains one of the most bullish Apple-watchers, maintaining a price target of $777 for AAPL stock.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Preempting the people who will claim she’s holding a 13” iPad.

• Reply 2 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Either she's a big lady or I'd say 15". :D
  • Reply 3 of 26
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If that's a regular iPad then she has to be a proportionate 4 feet (scratch that... 3 feet) tall. lol

• Reply 4 of 26
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    If it's an iPad at all -- The logo is in landscape mode :???:

I have very small hands (trouble grasping a football) -- but I can easily touch the current iPad logo in landscape.

And I don't see any buttons/ports/SIM Tray ...

What's that between the fingers of her right hand???
  • Reply 5 of 26
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

That's how I'd dress to use a Windows tablet.  Don't want any viruses getting on me.

• Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It's either a circuit checker or a lollipop. Not sure.

• Reply 7 of 26
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Fine it's the iPhone 6++
  • Reply 8 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
  • Reply 9 of 26

It's either a circuit checker or a lollipop. Not sure.

Or, possibly, a stylus?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    If it's an iPad at all -- The logo is in landscape mode :???:

I have very small hands (trouble grasping a football) -- but I can easily touch the current iPad logo in landscape.

She's holding a Scamsung transmitter of course.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Or, possibly, a stylus?

NO, Dick, NO.... take that back! Say it isn't so!

lol

• Reply 12 of 26
    Or, possibly, a stylus?

NO, Dick, NO.... take that back! Say it isn't so!

lol

From the angle it's being held, I can't easily thee if it has the aspect ratio of an iPad or a MacBook screen.

I would like to see a larger iPad with optional pressure sensitive stylus input -- drawing, drafting, CAD, graphic arts, sound and Video editing, etc. Also support direct Thunderbolt or USB 3 connect to a Mac.

We have a 64-bit APU, possible Ray-Tracing GPU -- add a bunch of RAM, SSD -- what's not to like?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

She's holding a Scamsung transmitter of course.

"Apple base to Commander Kwon." "Over."

• Reply 14 of 26
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Didn't Tim warn the analysts not to rely on those one of data too much?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

From the angle it's being held, I can't easily thee if it has the aspect ratio of an iPad or a MacBook screen.

I would like to see a larger iPad with optional pressure sensitive stylus input -- drawing, drafting, CAD, graphic arts, sound and Video editing, etc. Also support direct Thunderbolt or USB 3 connect to a Mac.

We have a 64-bit APU, possible Ray-Tracing GPU -- add a bunch of RAM, SSD -- what's not to like?

Wacom would just fold up its tent.

• Reply 16 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Or, possibly, a stylus?

You just officially became nobody, because nobody wants a stylus. :lol:
  • Reply 17 of 26
    "Apple base to Commander Kwon." "Over."

"Download complete, return to base. Kwon out, "
  • Reply 18 of 26
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Either she's a big lady or I'd say 15". image

Quote:

If it's an iPad at all -- The logo is in landscape mode image

Looks like a 15" MBP screen and since she's inspecting it's probably a white wax pencil to circle imperfections.

If it was an iPad wouldn't the logo be black?

• Reply 19 of 26
    waldobushmanwaldobushman Posts: 774member
    The new iPad Pro. That is what she must be holding. Apple changed the logo orientation. And given the size, this must be a very light iPad. And/or it's Apple's response to the Surface.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Either she's a big lady or I'd say 15". :D
    Or somebody used a wide angle lens. Even so the proportions are not right. Maybe it is a beheaded laptop screen.