Nintendo loses another half-billion dollars as console sales slide

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 75
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,353member

    1st Nintendo game on iOS this time next year is my guess.

  • Reply 42 of 75
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,012member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

     

    1st Nintendo game on iOS this time next year is my guess.


     

    They really have nothing to lose by leveraging old platform titles that are no longer sold.

  • Reply 43 of 75
    flashfan207flashfan207 Posts: 286member
    They really have nothing to lose by leveraging old platform titles that are no longer sold.

    They are still selling them on the Nintendo Network, that's the problem. If you have a Wii U, Wii or 3DS you can get all their old, successful games. I'm telling you, there won't be Nintendo games on any mobile platform for a very long time. The Wii U isn't dead yet and Nintendo is expecting sales to pick up. The only way any of that will change is if the current president/CEO of Nintendo, Sarotu Iwata steps down or is replaced by the far more popular and forward-thinking Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Nintendo had a great hardware idea in the Wii & squandered it. There was so much untapped potential there that Wii hackers were begging them to take advantage of but they failed.

    The WiiU should have been the WiiHD & included features like motion tracking of a user's head to create a 3D effect for certain single player games, or wearable IR LEDs to create motion tracking & achieve what the Xbox has but in a more reliable form. Nintendo isn't failing at the console market because people are loosing interest in consoles, they are failing because they are stuck on the same old business model they introduced back in the 1980s/90s.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post





    The Wii U isn't dead yet and Nintendo is expecting sales to pick up.

    They've been saying that since the first losses started rolling in.

    Not a good indicator, just saying.

  • Reply 46 of 75
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 160member
    Apple should buy Nintendo, make a way to download virtual console games to AppleTV or iOS, create a digital for disc exchange to get downloadable version of current optical drive games, and link up all Ninetndo connect and Nintendo WiFi games with GameCenter. Perhaps even a Mac based console emulator?
  • Reply 47 of 75
    flashfan207flashfan207 Posts: 286member
    hezetation wrote: »
    Nintendo had a great hardware idea in the Wii & squandered it. There was so much untapped potential there that Wii hackers were begging them to take advantage of but they failed.

    The WiiU should have been the WiiHD & included features like motion tracking of a user's head to create a 3D effect for certain single player games, or wearable IR LEDs to create motion tracking & achieve what the Xbox has but in a more reliable form. Nintendo isn't failing at the console market because people are loosing interest in consoles, they are failing because they are stuck on the same old business model they introduced back in the 1980s/90s.

    As much as I love Nintendo (rivaled only by my love for Apple and DC Comics), I am afraid that I completely agree with you.
  • Reply 48 of 75
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

    I don't Nintendo's loss is a reflection of console gaming itself, but the type of audience that Nintendo caters to, compared to Playstation and Xbox.

  • Reply 49 of 75
    I think I should clear up some of the air around the wii u. Not alone is it a fun console to play, but the increasing VC store is awesome. most of the old classics are available and I still love to play, considering they actually were challangeing. I just picked up a XB1 and I'm not impressed at all. People make fun of NIN for rehashing old titles, but it's those old franchises that make me still buy a nintendo console. I love Mario, Zelda and Metroid and to this days have played every major console release of each title and beat them.

    I can't tell you the last time I bought a xbox game other then titanfall and again, not impressed, and actually beat that game. I sti have some games in their original wrappers not even opened. These newer games just don't so it for me anymore. they aren't challanging and for the most part lack that memorable feel that nintendo games have.

    So at the end of the day. F*** Sony and MS. keep doing what your doing Nintendo. You'll always have a fanboy and a loyal customer with me.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    flashfan207flashfan207 Posts: 286member
    I think I should clear up some of the air around the wii u. Not alone is it a fun console to play, but the increasing VC store is awesome. most of the old classics are available and I still love to play, considering they actually were challangeing. I just picked up a XB1 and I'm not impressed at all. People make fun of NIN for rehashing old titles, but it's those old franchises that make me still buy a nintendo console. I love Mario, Zelda and Metroid and to this days have played every major console release of each title and beat them.

    I can't tell you the last time I bought a xbox game other then titanfall and again, not impressed, and actually beat that game. I sti have some games in their original wrappers not even opened. These newer games just don't so it for me anymore. they aren't challanging and for the most part lack that memorable feel that nintendo games have.

    So at the end of the day. F*** Sony and MS. keep doing what your doing Nintendo. You'll always have a fanboy and a loyal customer with me.

    Thank you. Me too. I second all of those notions. Actually having a Wii U is the only way to enjoy all the great games playable on the system, including all the classics.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

    Thank you. Me too. I second all of those notions. Actually having a Wii U is the only way to enjoy all the great games playable on the system, including all the classics.

     

    A simple way to ensure retention of users would be for them to keep forward-compatibilizing previous purchases. I don’t know if they already do (if so, bravo), but say you purchased a classic game on the Wii. If that’s portable to the WiiU (and upward further), in addition to the single previous console worth of physical backward compatibility, Nintendo would be assuring digital purchase compatibility, which goes a long way in people’s minds.

  • Reply 52 of 75
    macarenamacarena Posts: 363member
    There are 3 companies in the world that I would consider worthwhile acquisition targets for Apple - both in terms of offering ways to cover gaps in Apple's strategy, and in terms of helping Apple compete effectively with the competition.

    These three are Yahoo, Echostar, and Nintendo.

    Yahoo because they have expertise in cloud and internet services, which Apple has usually found it difficult to crack, because it allows Apple a foothold in Search to turn the screws on Google, and most importantly, because Yahoo has made valuable investments in Internet companies around the world that can be leveraged by Apple. Yahoo is struggling in search, but if they become default search engine in iOS, just that one change would be enough to reverse the tide. The culture is also a good fit.

    Echostar runs Dish Network, gives Apple back door access to distribution rights for TV Content, allows Apple to bypass cable and DSL options using satellite to deliver TV content to users. It also owns Slingbox, which will be extremely valuable in the future as time and place shifting become valuable add-ons to a future iTunes based TV service. If Apple doesn't own this IP, it will probably be forced to pay a lot to Echostar for this.

    Nintendo has valuable content, which can be monetized on a very large scale by Apple. Having this content on exclusive basis will also help Apple create significant differentiation vis-a-vis the Play Store. Also, while Apple has made huge strides in software development, it still is lagging behind in games, both on iOS and the Mac Platforms. Buying Nintendo when it is weak is probably a cheaper alternative for the long run.

    From valuation perspectives also, these deals make some sense - While these companies have higher multiples than Apple, they "yield" more than what Apple earns on its cash holdings, in terms of earnings. Apple has till now not shown any interest in large deals, but these are the deals it should be looking at, if it ever decides to do large deals.

    These companies are in many ways, the struggling underdogs in their respective sectors. A healthy dose of backing from Apple can do wonders to change their fortunes.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    A simple way to ensure retention of users would be for them to keep forward-compatibilizing previous purchases. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I don’t know if they already do (if so, bravo), but say you purchased a classic game on the Wii. If that’s portable to the WiiU (and upward further), in addition to the single previous console worth of physical backward compatibility, Nintendo would be assuring digital </span>
    <em style="line-height:1.4em;">purchase</em>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">compatibility, which goes a long way in people’s minds.</span>
    yes they have already implemented that system. A VC purchase to be ported to the wii u is only $1.00 to $1.50 to be upgraded to the wii u version. basically one that was optimized for 1080p. which if you ask me I'm fine with. some of the pricing for the older games could be adjusted. But at the end of the day, $5 for a classic game is better then the $20 download of an original xbox game.

    ohh I also though I should mention that the wii u doesn't need to download and save the game to the consoles memory, like the other 2 do. so that right there is a huge plus. having to "install" a game on a console is pointless. that's what the disc is for. at that point I might as well as get the PC/Mac version, God knows it'll run better anyway.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by ClaudiusMaximus View Post

    A VC purchase to be ported to the wii u is only $1.00 to $1.50 to be upgraded to the wii u version.

     

    AHHHHHHHH NO THAT’S AWFUL!

     

    basically one that was optimized for 1080p.


     

    Wait, it gets upconverted, too? Eh… fine, the payment makes sense… :grumble: Thanks for the info!

     

    But at the end of the day, $5 for a classic game is better then the $20 download of an original xbox game.


     

    Except maybe Halo, as overhyped as it is. Oh, did you see that they remade Halo graphically? Now there’s an idea… Think they changed the physics engine, too, but that’s understandable. Anyway, if Nintendo is so set on having so many psychotic remakes these days, why not announce Super Mario 64 WiiU at E3 this year, being like 64 DS in scope but graphically updated to be all WiiUy and beautiful?

     

    Though some think they’ll be announcing new hardware entirely this year, which sort of makes sense.

     
    ohh I also though I should mention that the wii u doesn't need to download and save the game to the consoles memory, like the other 2 do.

     

    Oh, yes; I’ve never understood that about the Xbox or Playstation. Rather, I have understood it, but its necessity in being there only serves to underline the insurmountable limitations of modern consoles.

     

    having to "install" a game on a console is pointless. that's what the disc is for.


     

    Well, you’re seeing here the same problem that Apple decided to ignore: discs are slow. 

     

    at that point I might as well as get the PC/Mac version, God knows it'll run better anyway.


     

    Hey, if you’d be so kind as to point me to a PC/Mac version of The Last of Us* (not the lesbian children expansion), feel free. One word, man: exclusives. I’m 100% fine with it regarding Nintendo properties because that fits their company personality. But Nintendo and Sony (the former in particular) would be served better releasing at least a PC version of every single game.

     

    Oh, speaking of consoles again, 720p. Nintendo does every game in 1080, but the PS4 and Xbone are stuck at 720. 720p30. Not 60. 30. How is that good? How is that even acceptable? Lower resolution and FAR fewer assets on screen than a PC game. Never understood any company but Nintendo in this regard. But hey, that’s what you get when you steal technology from the innovator. 

     

    *Then again, TLOA is just a movie, so I’m not really sure why I’m interested in playing it. From the playthroughs I’ve watched, it just looks like it feels good to handle. Haven’t had a modern game like that in a while.

  • Reply 55 of 75
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

    Oh, speaking of consoles again, 720p. Nintendo does every game in 1080, but the PS4 and Xbone are stuck at 720. 720p30. Not 60. 30. How is that good? How is that even acceptable? Lower resolution and FAR fewer assets on screen than a PC game.


    Why spend the extra money on optimization for 1080p 60 when legions of people will buy the game at 720 30? Especially when the majority don't care and would sadomasochistically prefer it?

     

    "60 FPS Doesn't matter! At least the fake tessellation that they never properly implemented but I can't tell the difference is in here!"

     

    Considering how much console games average, and how publishers are so deathly afraid to release Digital numbers for their PC games, as far as I'm concerned why do more?

  • Reply 56 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

    Why spend the extra money on optimization for 1080p 60 when legions of people will buy the game at 720 30?

     

    And people wonder why I hate Sony and Microsoft.

  • Reply 57 of 75
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macarena View Post



    There are 3 companies in the world that I would consider worthwhile acquisition targets for Apple - both in terms of offering ways to cover gaps in Apple's strategy, and in terms of helping Apple compete effectively with the competition.



    These three are Yahoo, Echostar, and Nintendo.



    Yahoo because they have expertise in cloud and internet services, which Apple has usually found it difficult to crack, because it allows Apple a foothold in Search to turn the screws on Google, and most importantly, because Yahoo has made valuable investments in Internet companies around the world that can be leveraged by Apple. Yahoo is struggling in search, but if they become default search engine in iOS, just that one change would be enough to reverse the tide. The culture is also a good fit.



    Echostar runs Dish Network, gives Apple back door access to distribution rights for TV Content, allows Apple to bypass cable and DSL options using satellite to deliver TV content to users. It also owns Slingbox, which will be extremely valuable in the future as time and place shifting become valuable add-ons to a future iTunes based TV service. If Apple doesn't own this IP, it will probably be forced to pay a lot to Echostar for this.



    Nintendo has valuable content, which can be monetized on a very large scale by Apple. Having this content on exclusive basis will also help Apple create significant differentiation vis-a-vis the Play Store. Also, while Apple has made huge strides in software development, it still is lagging behind in games, both on iOS and the Mac Platforms. Buying Nintendo when it is weak is probably a cheaper alternative for the long run.



    From valuation perspectives also, these deals make some sense - While these companies have higher multiples than Apple, they "yield" more than what Apple earns on its cash holdings, in terms of earnings. Apple has till now not shown any interest in large deals, but these are the deals it should be looking at, if it ever decides to do large deals.



    These companies are in many ways, the struggling underdogs in their respective sectors. A healthy dose of backing from Apple can do wonders to change their fortunes.

    That's a well-considered post. I didn't know about Echostar, but I like the idea of Apple buying Yahoo! and Nintendo. Nintendo didn't become famous for its hardware but for its games. Therefore, for it to have exclusive releases on iOS seems the perfect fit.

     

    Moving to Squaresoft: I hope Final Fantasy VII gets released on the iPad later this year, perhaps with the larger iPad. 

  • Reply 58 of 75
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    We need Nintendo to succeed.

    Nintendo is the Apple of gaming with the competition blatantly ripping them off.

    Wii U is failing because Nintendos ad department need to be fired. I know Nintendo fans that still don't know the Wii U exists.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,167member
    And people wonder why I hate Sony and Microsoft.

    So do adults play with this stuff? I honestly thought it was all about teens and younger.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So do adults play with this stuff? I honestly thought it was all about teens and younger.

    I bought a 3DS XL and the new Zelda game in December specifically to play that one game. It was a lot of fun.
Sign In or Register to comment.