Apple seeds ninth OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks beta, Safari 7.0.4 Seed 1 to developers with minor tweaks

Posted:
in macOS edited May 2014
Apple on Wednesday issued to developers the latest beta build of its upcoming OS X 10.9.3 maintenance update, as well as a new version of the company's Safari Web browser.

Following its weekly release schedule, Apple's latest beta build 13D61 asks testers to continue to focus on graphics drivers, audio, Safari, Mail and Contacts & Calendar syncing over USB in iTunes. The areas of interest are identical to last week's OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks beta build 13D55.

The most recent build comes two weeks after Apple decided to open up the beta testing process to all Mac users via the Beta Seed Program, a major change to its operating policies. It is unclear how the new program has affected beta rollouts.

Past betas of the forthcoming OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 supplemental update introduced support for scaling that doubles pixels for 4K monitor output, hinting at a so-called "Retina" output mode for late-2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display.

With the latest Mavericks software, Apple is thought to be nearing the final stages of testing before a public release.

As for Safari, Apple has seemingly included minor modifications to OS X compatibility born from changes made through the ongoing 10.9.3 testing process.

Developers -- and users signed up for the Beta Seed Program -- can download Mavericks beta build 13D61 and accompanying Safari 7.0.4 Seed 1 from Apple's Developer Portal or via Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    diruoccodiruocco Posts: 4member

it's bizarre  that people in the beta seed program cannot update to this beta or the last one.. 

• Reply 2 of 13
    Yes which isn't what this articles say...??? It isn't showing up on my Software Update.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mikhailtmikhailt Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by diruocco View Post

it's bizarre  that people in the beta seed program cannot update to this beta or the last one.. 

Public beta users don't get the same seeds as developers do and developers don't get the same seeds as the internal employees do.

• Reply 4 of 13
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post

Public beta users don't get the same seeds as developers do and developers don't get the same seeds as the internal employees do.

Correct.

I used to update weekly and sometimes three times a week testing internally.

• Reply 5 of 13
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    WWDC creeps closer and closer... I wonder how much Apple may tip its hand while giving developers clues about what to be focusing on for hardware releases later this year...?

I understand Samsung will out in force during WWDC under the guise of having an event of their own in the same town at the same time... nudge nudge wink wink.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    WWDC creeps closer and closer... I wonder how much Apple may tip its hand while giving developers clues about what to be focusing on for hardware releases later this year...?

I understand Samsung will out in force during WWDC under the guise of having an event of their own in the same town at the same time... nudge nudge wink wink.

10th developer beta and the whole time it's been focusing on support for 4K support, even though most developers won't have displays in which to test this out. I hope we see a 4K display to go with the new Mac Pro and MBPs with TB2 ports. A year after the fact is actually pretty good for Apple when it comes to a branded external display.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hope we see a 4K display to go with the new Mac Pro and MBPs with TB2 ports. A year after the fact is actually pretty good for Apple when it comes to a branded external display.

I’m excited in the design of the display. We haven’t seen a new display design since the thinner iMac, so just how thin will they be able to get this thing?

• Reply 8 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I’m excited in the design of the display. We haven’t seen a new display design since the thinner iMac, so just how thin will they be able to get this thing?

I would expect it to follow the iMac design and be about as thick at the edges with the curve in the back to simply be less drastic but probably have more than most would expect as I feel that is part of the aesthetic and strength.

I would like to see at least an option for a super-wide that is close to Cinemascope width 1:2.35). To keep the same display height of the 27" iMac display it would mean the display would be 33.8" on the diagonal.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    WHo cares about any of these updates for 4k when we don't have a working file sharing protocol (SMB2) and DFS is completely broken? People are demanding to use Macs in business, but MACs running Mavericks are non-functional in an enterprise network. Now that there is no rolling back to ML because of the latest versions of Final Cut and Keynote, network admins are totally screwed and are forced to take the Macs away and enforce PCs running Creative Cloud and MS powerpoint.

One step sideways, 3 steps back.
  • Reply 10 of 13

Until Apple fixes DFS and SMB, Mavericks is a complete disaster.  Mavericks has been the biggest IT disaster of my career and I have been designing enterprise infrastructure for over 15 years.   I tried to keep my users on Mountain Lion, which worked pretty well all around, but some secretly updated to Mavericks.  Along with Mavericks they updated their Final Cut and Keynote to the latest versions, which are not available on ML, then proceeded to work on hundreds of files converting them.  So I was forced up upgrade 150 Macs to Mavericks within 1 week.  Next thing I know, Connections to the servers are broken, DFS is unusable, and file share permissions are all corrupt.  

I have lots of sleepless nights and a few ulcers from Mavericks.  Please stop with the 4k monitor BS- WHO CARES!

We need a workable network client.  Please FIx that already.  

• Reply 11 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I would like to see at least an option for a super-wide that is close to Cinemascope width 1:2.35). To keep the same display height of the 27" iMac display it would mean the display would be 33.8" on the diagonal.

Give me a full field of view display. 185º to the side, 120º top and bottom. True IMAX style content. Free specially formatted iTunes movie download with a purchase. Gravity or something.

• Reply 12 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    10th developer beta and the whole time it's been focusing on support for 4K support, even though most developers won't have displays in which to test this out. I hope we see a 4K display to go with the new Mac Pro and MBPs with TB2 ports. A year after the fact is actually pretty good for Apple when it comes to a branded external display.

I wonder if Airplay will go 4K with this along with supporting Apple TV soon.

Anecdotally, I've seen AirPlay improvements on the nMac Pro (which sucked under 10.9.2) too and I 'think' FCPro X 4K handling but that may be other factors my end.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    The 4k monitor support is the most important aspect of the Mac Pro for many people, including myself - with backward compatibility taking back seat to progress.