Adobe Voice for iPad combines user narration and simple animations to create impactful videos

Posted:
in iPad edited May 2014
Adobe Voice is a free iPad app that allows users to "show their story" by streamlining the process of overlaying a customizable voiceover track atop a variety of animated images, music, icons, text, themes and more.

Officially named Adobe Voice - Show Your Story, the iPad-only app is distinct from other video creation software in that no "filming" is actually needed to produce a high quality clip.

While the creation process is largely automated, the finished result is one with which many people are likely familiar. A narrator tells their story over a bed of music, accompanied by static images or simple animations drawn in bold colors.

The style is simple but effective and has been used in a wide array of scenarios, from product pitches on Kickstarter to TV commercials for big-name corporations. For example, non-profit organizations often use the kitschy style to produce simple, yet impactful, statements on the environment.

With Voice, similar results can be reached through an automated system that walks users through the process step by step.

First, users choose a story template in which pages are laid out in a type of storyboard on which text, icons and photos can be added. Images can be selected from a user's camera roll, Dropbox or social network account, as well as licensed photos Adobe provides rights free from various artists. Advanced users may create their own layout if they so choose.

Fittingly, the main component of Voice is a user's voice. On each page a microphone icon appears that records narration line by line with a "tap-and-hold" gesture. The audio is then overlaid atop the animated imagery that is automatically trimmed to length. Users can also choose from a list of included music that will serve as the video's audio foundation.

Finally, Adobe presents 30 themes that automatically generate text, colors and animations that give each slide a distinct style.

Once a story is complete it can be uploaded to Adobe's servers for private viewing via link or made public in a special gallery. Sharing options include Facebook, Twitter, email and text message.

Adobe Voice is a free 217MB download for iPad available now from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member
    Well, if that just don't beat all! I can make some money with this app.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    notienotie Posts: 7member
    Cool. And if you don't want to use your own voice (or can't) there's http://SkitKit.com
  • Reply 3 of 19
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    I just downloaded this app and started playing with it. It's really sweet. Very simple and intuitive.

There are all kinds of themes and canned music, and you can import images from a variety of sources including Dropbox and a Creative Commons online image search built into the app.

Voice recording is very simple. You hold the record button down while you speak. To re-record, just hold the button again.

The shots or slides are automatically timed to your voice recordings.

There's a rudimentary type tool which fills the screen with type which automatically fits and centers itself. You can also add captions to photos.

We happen to be preparing a presentation to a small group of independent authors, promoting our book and cover design services, and we may just use this app to create it.

What's unique about it from Keynote or Power Point is its ease of editing and its automatic timing to the voice recordings for each slide.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Hats off to Adobe. Free too.... what is the catch there I wonder?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hats off to Adobe. Free too.... what is the catch there I wonder?

Not sure it's a catch, as I'm already a Creative Cloud subscriber, but if you want to share your Voice videos, you have to upload them, first. So that may just be available to CC subscribers. If so, it's a pretty good (clever) promotion.

• Reply 6 of 19
    danielsw wrote: »
    Not sure it's a catch, as I'm already a Creative Cloud subscriber, but if you want to share your Voice videos, you have to upload them, first. So that may just be available to CC subscribers. If so, it's a pretty good (clever) promotion.

Ok, that makes sense. There had to be a reason it was free, not being cynical but Adobe do have a business to run. So there is no way to export for viewing the files created other than via Adobe's cloud, I missed that. I just downloaded it so will have a play.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    lawrancelawrance Posts: 86member
    One of the reasons I like my iPad so much is that it runs lean and smooth. I attribute that to not having a single Micro$oft or Adobe product mucking it up. I'll pass thank-you-very-much.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    "Impactful?"
    Please skip the marketing speak,
    "going forward."
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

One of the reasons I like my iPad so much is that it runs lean and smooth. I attribute that to not having a single Micro$oft or Adobe product mucking it up. I'll pass thank-you-very-much.

You populist propagandists are such a sorry lot. Adobe Lightroom Mobile and now Voice ARE lean and smooth, but noooo, great software tools which are now harder to pirate really piss you people off. Too bad. . . 

• Reply 10 of 19
    lawrancelawrance Posts: 86member

Not sure how my post provoked your name calling and false accusations... But as a retired graphic artist who was forced to BUY updated versions of Micro$oft Office and Adobe Suites throughout the years, (and who still has them on my MacBook Pro) I feel qualified in offering my opinion about the lack of bloatware from said companies on my iPad. 

Clearly, not everyone can avoid using Adobe or Micro$oft products on their iPad, but after spending thousands of dollars and putting up with numerous bugs and crashes from their overpriced software, I relish the idea of avoiding the use of their products or using alternative products when I can. Have a nice day. 

• Reply 11 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

"Impactful?"

Please skip the marketing speak,

"going forward."

• Reply 12 of 19
    danielsw wrote: »
    You populist propagandists are such a sorry lot. Adobe Lightroom Mobile and now Voice ARE lean and smooth, but noooo, great software tools which are now harder to pirate really piss you people off. Too bad. . . 

How did pirating come into that conversation?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Hi digitalclips %u2014

I%u2019m Ely Greenfield, one of the creators of Adobe Voice. Just to be clear%u2026the app is completely free to download and to publish with. Because your publishing to our website, we do ask you to sign in before publishing, so we can help you track and manage your videos when they%u2019re live on the web. But anyone can create an account for free, and anyone can upload their videos for free.

Happy storytelling!
    Ely.
  • Reply 14 of 19

Hi digitalclips —

I’m Ely Greenfield, one of the creators of Adobe Voice.  Just to be clear…the app is completely free to download and to publish with.  We do ask you to sign in before publishing, so we can help you track and manage your videos when they’re live on the web.  But anyone can create an account for free, and anyone can upload their videos for free.

Happy storytelling!

Ely.

• Reply 15 of 19

The dictionary has everything in it, including trite, overused phrases, even common incorrect usages. Did you really think bad "business speak" would be omitted? Pehaps you don't appreciate subtlty and elegance in written English
    I've heard that pigs will eat anything placed in front of them. Is that your argument in a nutshell?
  • Reply 16 of 19

Did you really think bad "business speak" would be omitted? Pehaps you don't appreciate subtlty and elegance in written English

Ah, humor.

Look, there’s nothing wrong with it. Period. As much as I abhor (and never use) the disgusting “have got” phrase, everyone else uses it. There’s nothing whatsoever you can do about it. And there’s nothing wrong with the word ‘impactful’.

• Reply 17 of 19

Look, there’s nothing wrong with it. Period. There’s nothing whatsoever you can do about it. And there’s nothing wrong with the word ‘impactful’.

Do you think your thoughts on the subject are "effectful" or "influenceful?
  • Reply 18 of 19

Do you think your thoughts on the subject are "effectful" or "influenceful?

As those aren’t words at all, no. Impactful, however, is.

• Reply 19 of 19
    morrolanmorrolan Posts: 35member

Those are perfectly cromulent words.