Combined iPad, Mac shipments make Apple world's largest PC vendor once again

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2014
With more than 20 million combined Mac and iPad shipments, Apple handily retained its title as the world's largest PC vendor in the first quarter of 2014, the latest data from Canalys shows.

Though lower iPad shipments in the March quarter led to an overall decline, Apple's 20-plus-million Mac and iPad units shipped in the three month span was still plenty to give it first place and a 17 percent total share, Canalys announced on Thursday. Apple already announced in its quarterly earnings report last month that it shipped 16.3 million iPads and 4.1 million Macs for the period, giving it 20.4 million total PCs.

"The fall in iPad shipments in (the first quarter) was the sharpest ever," said Canalys Senior Analyst Tim Coulling. "Apple took action during the quarter to run down its iPad inventory -- a smart move as tablet stock in the channel rose due to strong seasonal shipments in the previous quarter. Longer term, we do not believe Apple's Q1 performance points to a decline in the tablet category, despite growing pressure from larger-screen smart phones.
Though the tablet market showed slowing growth in the first quarter, Canalys expects it to continue growing as consumers adapt and replace traditional notebooks and desktops.
"Consumers, and increasingly businesses, are continuing to adapt, with tablets acting as disruptors and finding their place as desktop and notebook replacements. Apple's ecosystem and the recent launch of Office for iPad should ensure it is well placed to remain a leader for some time."

The estimates from Canalys place Lenovo in second with combined 15 million tablet and traditional computer shipments, good for 12 percent. Lenovo actually saw its total shipments increase by two percentage points from the same period in 2013, allowing it to gain ground on Apple.

Notebook and desktop declines were slowed in the March quarter thanks to businesses upgrading from Microsoft's retired Windows XP platform to more modern, still-supported operating systems from the Redmond, Wash., software giant.

Taking third was HP, while Samsung saw shipments decline and fell to fourth. Dell rounded out the top five with just under 10 million tablets and traditional computers shipped in the quarter.

Total worldwide client PC shipments reached 123.7 million units in the first quarter of 2014, a 5 percent year over year increase. Tablet shipments grew 21 percent, cooling off their recent growth trends, but tablet shipments also reached 50.8 million units, outshipping notebook PCs. In all, tablets were 41 percent of the PC market, while notebooks accounted for 38 percent.

Previous data from Canalys issued in February showed Apple with a 19.5 percent share. For that period, Apple was larger than both HP and Dell combined.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    Doomed. Doomed I tell ya. Sell all your stock. They can only fall from this position!
  • Reply 2 of 74
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Somehow, I am not comfortable to include iPad/tablets into PC world.  They are altogether different.

• Reply 3 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Somehow, I am not comfortable to include iPad/tablets into PC world.  They are altogether different.

Not really when you consider what the majority of users buy the machines for.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

For many applications they are fundamentally different, however there's no question tablets are cannibalizing what would have been laptop sales in the past.

• Reply 5 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    World's Number 1! Yes!!!

Of course Microshit still have 97% of those old beige boxes mostly running Windows XP, assuming they still run at all, out there but who cares?
  • Reply 6 of 74
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

The other day, some research firm was including PC laptops (windows "convertibles") into the iPad/tablet world, so what's wrong with including iPads into the PC world?

The fact of the matter is that a lot of people have replaced laptops and even desktops with iPads. Are they exactly the same thing? Of course not, but iPads have taken over many tasks that would have previously required a laptop or desktop.

• Reply 7 of 74
    chocolimchocolim Posts: 17member
    If you combine tablets and PC, but you can't.
    If you combine Phones, Smarphones and notebooks, Nokia is the largest PC seller
  • Reply 8 of 74
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Not really when you consider what the majority of users buy the machines for.

magic_al wrote: »

For many applications they are fundamentally different, however there's no question tablets are cannibalizing what would have been laptop sales in the past.

Interesting!
    Since i bought my ipad, 90% of my time on a computer is on the ipad.
    Only if i have to do something more complicated and involved ( video editing, 3d modeling, most photo editing but not all.. Etc) i go to my desktop!
    Otherwise most everything is on the ipad.
    It is a computer after all !
    Give it a bit more screen realestate, faster processor and more accurate pointing device. And it could take over my pc 99%... It will happen imho!
  • Reply 9 of 74

Not picking on you as many will say the same thing but .... Oh no, not that old saw again! An iPad Air would blow a 1990 IBM PC out of the water using any metric, OK? ... So when exactly do you draw the historical line on when a PC is a PC? Are PCs only PCs after they pass the point in time when they are more powerful than an iPad? That might be a fascinating calculation as I bet it would rule out over 50% (or more) of all PCs in the famous mantra "PCs have 97% of the market".
  • Reply 10 of 74
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The other day, some research firm was including PC laptops (windows "convertibles") into the iPad/tablet world, so what's wrong with including iPads into the PC world?

The fact of the matter is that a lot of people have replaced laptops and even desktops with iPads. Are they exactly the same thing? Of course not, but iPads have taken over many tasks that would have previously required a laptop or desktop.

Cars had replaced the Horse-Carts. So.. you cant put them together. May be, you can put them together as transportation means. But...

iPad/tablets are just another form of computing enabling the users to do their daily tasks on other kind of devices.  But they are not PCs or at least not even Macs. (???)

Dont know guys... I am not comfortable :no:.

• Reply 11 of 74
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Mixing Apple with Oranges. Riiiiiight....
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Cars had replaced the Horse-Carts. So.. you cant put them together. May be, you can put them together as transportation means. But...
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">iPad/tablets are just another form of computing enabling the users to do their daily tasks on other kind of devices.  But they are not PCs or at least not even Macs. (???)</span>

Dont know guys... I am not comfortable :no: .

You made the case thank you

In the discussion you allude to then yes you would group cars and horse and cart contraptions as transportation. In this case the word is PC used in this context as a personal computer.

If PC = Personal Computer what on earth is an iPad if not a personal computer?

Now, if Scamsung tries to include fridges I'd have a problem with that ;)
  • Reply 13 of 74
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

iPad/tablets are just another form of computing enabling the users to do their daily tasks on other kind of devices.  But they are not PCs or at least not even Macs. (???)

I'm totally comfortable with it.

As a matter of fact, I'd claim that an iPad is more of a PC, than a traditional PC is. An iPad is the ultimate PC. PC stands for personal computer of course, and what's more personal than having your own little iPad to carry out your computing needs on? And a touch interface is far more personal and intuitive than using last century's input methods (mouse etc.)

• Reply 14 of 74
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Exactly. And at some point in the past the same applied to laptops v desktops. Yes they are different and could be separated into individual groups  but at the same time they are all computing devices that perform many overlapping tasks. The iPad is just a different kind of computer. I could easily argue that iPhones should be included as they are computing devices with the added cell phone functionality. They cost the same as the majority of low end pc's and perform many computing functions better.  

• Reply 15 of 74
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Cars v sports cars v SUV? I just think you can group them and separate them at will. There is no one right way to look at it. We have discussed the differences ad nauseam here before and the result is always... 'it depends'. Like with iPhone sizes perfection is relative.

• Reply 16 of 74
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Yes!! the old iPads are not PCs debate. It used to be that you need a PC to use an iPad so they are not PC. Then it was because you cannot develop for the iPad on the iPad. Now, since both of these issues are gone we need new reasons.. suggestions?!

• Reply 17 of 74
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    Quote:

I agree with you for the most part.  It's obvious that tablets are a form of computer, but they're a different product segment and cause distortion of the numbers.  Not to mention, why are we stopping with tablets when there are phones that bridge the gap?  Is the Galaxy Mega a tablet?  What about the Xperia Z Ultra?  Both of those have screens larger than 6 inches and are basically only "phones" because they have a dialer.  And if we include those, then why not the smaller smartphones?  They are more similar to tablets than tablets are to traditional PCs after all.

• Reply 18 of 74
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolim View Post

If you combine Phones, Smarphones and notebooks, Nokia is the largest PC seller

Have you been living under a rock from 2009? 

• Reply 19 of 74
    erannerann Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If PC = Personal Computer what on earth is an iPad if not a personal computer?

Yup, a tablet is more personal computer than a laptop or desktop or underdesk computer.

Even more personal computer is a handheld computer which some people mistakenly call smartphone (just because one of it's least used features is phone calling).

I suppose the ultimately personal computer is a wearable computer, e.g. wrist computer. People occasionally share handheld computers but very seldom wearable computers.

• Reply 20 of 74
    chocolimchocolim Posts: 17member

The definicion Personal Computer is more about computing power than be more personal to you.

SuperComputer, Mainframes, WorkStations, Personal Computers....