San Francisco MOMA to honor Apple designer Jony Ive with lifetime achievement award

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art will honor Apple's head designer Jony Ive with a lifetime achievement award celebrating his "revolutionary achievements" this fall.

Jony Ive
Apple design chief Jony Ive discusses a special curated (RED) auction in 2013. | Source: Sotheby's

Ive will be presented wit this year's 2014 Bay Area Treasure Award on Oct. 30 of this year, according to MediaBistro. Ive will be the 15th recipient of the award, which recognizes artists and creative leaders in the region who have redefined visual art.

"Ive is our generation's most innovative and influential figure in the field of industrial design--no other design mind has done more to transform the way we visualize and share information," said SFMOMA director Neal Benezra. "SFMOMA was the first museum on the West Coast to establish a department of architecture and design, and we're thrilled to celebrate Ive's revolutionary achievements."

Past recipients of the Bay Area Treasure Award include "Star Wars" filmmaker George Lucas, media artist Wayne Thiebaud, and landscape architect Lawrence Halprin.

SFMOMA's department of architecture and design has a significant collection of consumer electronics from both the 20th and 21st centuries. The department is now looking into the best way to collect, maintain and interpret those holdings, and Ive is said to be assisting the museum in its efforts.

As Apple's acclaimed lead designer, Ive has been the recipient of many awards and recognitions, perhaps the most significant being when he was named a Knight Commander of the British Empire. Prior to his knighthood, the U.K. native had earned the title of Commander of teh British Empire.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

To Samsung!

• Reply 2 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Congrats Jony!
  • Reply 3 of 22
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Congratulations- now where's a new white Apple TV ?
  • Reply 4 of 22

Cheers Jony!

• Reply 5 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Congratulations- now where's a new white Apple TV ?

Right here.

• Reply 6 of 22
    grape ceogrape ceo Posts: 26member
    Where does this guy get his shirts?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    "The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art will honor Apple's head designer Jony Ive with a lifetime achievement award celebrating his "revolutionary achievements" this fall. "

i, for one, am eagerly anticipating learning what his revolutionary fall achievements will be.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

He is behind some really nice designs, so he deserves it!

I remember unpacking my first iMac, a Blueberry iMac a long time ago (must've been '98), and I thought that it looked so damn cool after I got it all set up on my desk. That was still in the age where everything was beige, bland, boring and ugly.  Apple's products are to be shown, displayed and proudly used. Other company's products are to be hidden away and never to be spoken of, like a dark family secret.

• Reply 9 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    grape ceo wrote: »

Amazon?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Grape CEO View Post

He can obviously afford to get his shirts from anywhere, but they just look like regular t-shirts from the GAP or someplace like that.

Or maybe he did like Steve Jobs did, and custom ordered a whole bunch of pricey shirts from some designer.

I wonder what Steve Jobs' closet was like. You'd open it, and see 100 black turtlenecks hanging there, all identical.

• Reply 11 of 22
    rosujinrosujin Posts: 42member
    Does anyone else think it's hilarious that this article comes right after the article about Samsung getting rid of their mobile design chief?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The t-shirt in the photo above is from the store Limo Land which sells $225 shirts. More recently he's been wearing these terry cloth polos (see below) from a British retailer called Orlebar Brown which retail for $150! I guess if you have the money spend it but it seems a bit ridiculous to me.

• Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The t-shirt in the photo above is from the store Limo Land which sells $225 shirts. More recently he's been wearing these terry cloth polos (see below) from a British retailer called Orlebar Brown which retail for $150! I guess if you have the money spend it but it seems a bit ridiculous to me.

$225 to him is probably like 5 cents to me or you, so if somebody has more money than they know what to do with, then I say, go for it!

If I had that much money, I'd also be spending it left and right, just because I could. $225 is not that outrageous in my opinion.

• Reply 14 of 22

And just to add one thing, I sometimes see some schoolkids around where I live, and they're wearing some hideous looking sneakers that are probably close to $200, and I wouldn't be surprised if their families were on welfare.

• Reply 15 of 22
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    He deserves it, I like his designs. Well done to Jony Ive.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Pretty cool stuff.  Congrats to Sir Jony Ive.  :) 

• Reply 17 of 22
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    Congrats Sir Jony Ive. I love his designer apple projects.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    gw91975gw91975 Posts: 1member
    Congrats, Jony Ive! Is the proper form of address now Sir Jony?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member

From his wardrobe.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    pooch wrote: »
    "The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art will honor Apple's head designer Jony Ive with a lifetime achievement award celebrating his "revolutionary achievements" this fall. "

i, for one, am eagerly anticipating learning what his revolutionary fall achievements will be.

A prehumous award.