Study: iPhone users fly in planes and drink wine, Android users prefer the bus and beer

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
A report comparing and contrasting iPhone and Android user demographics reveals a few interesting tidbits about owners of devices running the two rival smartphone platforms.

Battery Ventures via Re/Code

According to research from venture capital firm Battery Ventures, there is some merit to the idea that iPhones are used by a white collar crowd, while Android favors the blue collar set. Or at least that's what the study's creator Jonathan Sills found in certain circumstances, reports Re/Code

The study was conducted to better understand smartphone user demographics, information that is invaluable to targeted marketing. By knowing what kind of person is using a particular hardware platform, advertisers can more effectively sink resources into curated ads.

"You would think iPhone users are all pinot-drinking yoga enthusiasts," Sills said of the stereotype assigned to Apple product users. His findings support the convention, but only to a certain degree.

Extracting information from a set of survey questions, iPhone users are more likely to have flown in an airplane in the past year, drink wine and have investments in the stock market. Android users, on the other hand, take public transportation, prefer beer, consider themselves religious and have eaten at McDonalds within the last month.

Metrics that were found to be somewhat equally represented between the two groups include owning a firearm, watching Fox News and owning a house.

Sills points out, however, that the apparent differences becoming less distinct when factoring in adjustments for income. Despite what some in the tech community have to say about iPhone and Android "fanboys," it seems most users may not be so different after all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Waiting for Apple][ to chime in...
  • Reply 2 of 115
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I read that crap food hurts your intelligence.

...well glad this article cleared that up for me.
  • Reply 3 of 115
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member
    Dont know how credible this poll is but sure gave me good laugh.
  • Reply 4 of 115
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    This just bolsters what I have been saying for years. People who can't afford good stuff, buy Android phones. Then, to try and make themselves feel better they try and convince everyone else that Android phones are the best and they'd buy an Android even if they could afford an iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 115
    rtamesisrtamesis Posts: 88member
    So in other words, Android users are more likely to belong with the Wal-Mart shoppers?:D
  • Reply 6 of 115
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sflocal wrote: »
    Waiting for Apple][ to chime in...

My first thought upon reading the title was, "[@]Apple ][[/@] is going to love this."
  • Reply 7 of 115
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I'm just impressed that, according to the headline, Android users fly in busses.

• Reply 8 of 115
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    You don't have to be wealthy to have discriminating taste. You buy cheap stuff where it doesn't matter, and quality stuff where it does. It's a facet of intelligence.
  • Reply 9 of 115
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Since day one, I have always been claiming that the main reason why so many Android phones are being sold is because there is an overabundance of poverty stricken people on the planet. This also factors into why Android phones and tablets are so poorly represented on all web metric stats. 

I'm not surprised by this study's findings at all. The last time that I took a flight, I saw iPads in all directions, and I don't even think that I saw a single non-Apple tablet being used. If I were taking the bus to visit a penitentiary, I'd imagine that I'd see a lot more Android devices being used.

Another factor to consider is the market share of Android vs iOS in certain countries and regions. It seems to me that some of the countries with the highest percentage of Android users are also the countries that are hurting economically.

I hold low opinions of Android and Android users, and I will continue to do so, especially when all reports and studies that get released only reinforces what I already know and what I have been claiming for ages.

• Reply 10 of 115
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Another reason to doubt the Beats story.

• Reply 11 of 115
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    To fair, once they leave high school the Android base might end up with jobs and the ability fly in airplanes and drink wine.
  • Reply 12 of 115
    I have an iPhone, but I drive a car and drink vodka coolers. Outlier?
  • Reply 13 of 115
    eric swinsoneric swinson Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

This just bolsters what I have been saying for years. People who can't afford good stuff, buy Android phones. Then, to try and make themselves feel better they try and convince everyone else that Android phones are the best and they'd buy an Android even if they could afford an iPhone.

I don't think it is as much not being able to afford good things as it is not valuing good things. Some people spend just as much on an Android phone as they would an iPhone because they were wooed by a specific feature or two. Others think a phone is a phone and buy whatever is on sale. 

• Reply 14 of 115
    I have an iPhone, but I drive a car and drink vodka coolers. Outlier?

I prefer beer so I am lying low. Then again I drink it on airplanes so am I ok again? :)
  • Reply 15 of 115
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    McDonalds. Bleech. Time for yoga.
  • Reply 16 of 115
    evilution wrote: »

Don't under estimate the Apple haters from the PC era, they have no Microsoft in Mobile (ok, 1% ROFL) so many turn to anything but Apple. I bet many really wish they could recant these days. LOL
  • Reply 17 of 115
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member
    Absolute rubbish!
  • Reply 18 of 115
    rtamesis wrote: »
    So in other words, Android users are more likely to belong with the Wal-Mart shoppers?:D

I know that's a favorite Apple ][ line but as I have told him, you should check out the parking lot outside the Super Wal-Mart in my neck of the woods. Top of the line cars everywhere. It must depend if you live in a crappy area or not I guess.
  • Reply 19 of 115
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Haha brilliant. 

• Reply 20 of 115
    chadmatic wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish!

To what are you commenting / replying?