Study: iPhone users fly in planes and drink wine, Android users prefer the bus and beer

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Since day one, I have always been claiming that the main reason why so many Android phones are being sold is because there is an overabundance of poverty stricken people on the planet. This also factors into why Android phones and tablets are so poorly represented on all web metric stats. 

I'm not surprised by this study's findings at all. The last time that I took a flight, I saw iPads in all directions, and I don't even think that I saw a single non-Apple tablet being used. If I were taking the bus to visit a penitentiary, I'd imagine that I'd see a lot more Android devices being used.

Another factor to consider is the market share of Android vs iOS in certain countries and regions. It seems to me that some of the countries with the highest percentage of Android users are also the countries that are hurting economically.

I hold low opinions of Android and Android users, and I will continue to do so, especially when all reports and studies that get released only reinforces what I already know and what I have been claiming for ages.

Funny you talk about how people who uses Apple products live a posh-life, and pretty much all Android users are living from paycheck to paycheck. I have an Apple iPhone 5s and I'm driving a Honda. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, she drives a Lexus. My friend who has the same Galaxy Note 3 drives a brand new Mercedes E350! I don't get how people and all these so called "studies" claim to put Android users down by their demographics and what they do for a living. I always see people use iPhones and they work as a cook in a local restaurant. I see people on buses and driving beat up cars/trucks use iPhones. Does this make your statements true? To me, it doesn't matter if you have a good job and making bank for a living; you use what you want to use as far as phones is concerned. Some of the newer high-end Android phones cost the same or more (on contract) than an iPhone nowadays. iPhones are even free with a contract if you don't already know that by now. End of discussion.

• Reply 62 of 115
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    So, iPhone users and Android users are equally likely to own only one firearm. I wonder what the difference would have been for "two or more firearms" :)
  • Reply 63 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

But if you're poor... Android phones are your only option... because those are what happen to fall within your price range.

Not all Android phones are cheap... but... the cheapest phones tend to run Android.

The Apple iPhone 4s is FREE on a 2 year contract with Verizon, poor people can afford that.

Yes, the cheapest phones do tend to be Android. I give you that.

• Reply 64 of 115
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

I use an iPhone and I travel by plane. Then again, if there was a bus from India to England, I'd probably take it.

• Reply 65 of 115
    @evilution - Yuck people like you make me embarrassed to be using iOS devices. You're a disgusting self righteous nerd who sniffs his own farts.

You can get certain iPhones for FREE and others for the SAME PRICE as the high end Android phones. So stop acting like you're some rich kid who can afford a specialized phone. With contracts anyone can afford an iPhone if they can afford an HTC ONE or Galaxy S5.

So using the excuse that Android users only use Android because it's cheap just shows you ignorance. How about not everyone wants to be boxed in by a company and wants the freedom to customize their device without voiding their warranty with a jailbreak?

A jailbreak that gets broken with every incremental update and forces you to retain old hardware and miss out on bug fixes JUST to change a simple THEME.

Get real... and this is coming from an iPhone owner. I just have the ability to see past my own ass. Jerk
  • Reply 66 of 115

Yuck people like this make me embarrassed to be using iOS devices.  All this disgusting self righteous behavior and sniffing your own farts.

You can get certain iPhones for FREE and others for the SAME PRICE as the high end Android phones.  So stop acting like you're some rich kid who can afford a specialized phone.

With contracts anyone can afford an iPhone if they can afford an HTC ONE or Galaxy S5.  So using the excuse that Android users only use Android because it's cheap just shows your ignorance.  How about not everyone wants to be boxed in and prefers the freedom to customize their device without voiding their warranty with a jailbreak?

A jailbreak that gets broken with every incremental update and forces you to retain old hardware and miss out on bug fixes JUST to change a simple THEME.  But in exchange you get an ecosystem that is more stable and less fragmented.  It's a TRADE OFF... not a preference.  Get real... and this is coming from an iOS user.  I just have the ability to see past my own ass.

Stereotyping users of a certain product is as irresponsible as sticking your iPhone up your butt just so you can smell your own farts while you use it.  So you guys should really stop doing that... it's gross.

• Reply 67 of 115
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

A guy drives up in his new Lexus. He graciously exits the car and a passerby says, "My Ford Focus gets me from point A to point B just like his car."

There is no point in trying to explain to that guy why anyone would drive a Lexus.

• Reply 68 of 115
    domtorendomtoren Posts: 3member
    Darn. I have no stocks, drink beer and do nearly all my transport on a bicycle. Am I still allowed to own an iPhone?
  • Reply 69 of 115
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m to understand that if you don’t regularly imbibe Chateau lafite Rothschild ’86 you’re nothing more than a commoner.

Really?

I have always been told that, when on a mission, you should never drink anything other than Dom Perignon '53.

And especially not above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit.

:smokey:

• Reply 70 of 115
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gtr wrote: »
    ...Dom Perignon '53...

Completely overrated 'brand', IMO.
  • Reply 71 of 115
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Yes I know it's spelled Nazi. I'm on my phone and you should know auto correct can get the best of anyone. 

The little ironies of life!

Such as Siri, the world's most advanced mobile AI, combined on a device with the world's dumbest autocorrect.

• Reply 72 of 115
    john12345john12345 Posts: 152member
    Why would this be a surprise? Almost all of the cheap smartphones run android. People that can afford iPhones don't typically buy these cheap phones.
  • Reply 73 of 115
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member

This type of bogus demographic "study" is pure nonsense, divisive, and class warfare baiting. Please don't take anything of this low caliber of classless cherry picking pseudoscience as being anything more than an off color and tasteless joke that nobody laughs at. There's nearly a billion smartphone users worldwide and nearly as many total number of compounding reasons "why" each of them ended up with the product they currently own. 

• Reply 74 of 115
    zoetmb wrote: »
    Frankly it all seems absurd to me and in terms of price, on a subsidized phone, there's little to no difference in cost between an iPhone and an Android phone. I bet the sample size was quite small.

Anecdotally, from my own experience I would say that income plays little to no role. I consult for a technology business where most of the employees earn pretty much the same income and I'd say the split between Apple phones and Android phones is about even.

I understand why Apple, Samsung and others feel they're competing with each other, but I don't understand why end users feel like they're competing with each other. I have an iPhone. If someone else has an Android phone, it really has absolutely no effect on me anymore than if I have a Sony TV and someone else has a Panasonic TV.

This is how it happened: the iPhone came out, the sharper more with it people bought one. The other almost sharp people were unsure if it would be good/cool so they laid off. The iPhone goes big time and is so incredible that anyone who didn't realize it was going to be a great phone was looked upon like an idiot. These people grouped up and bought a competing device because of their ego, and the began bashing on iPhone users because they were scared they would look stupid. Once the iPhone users started having these people say that their android phone could do this and that and was amazing they fired back. That's the bones
  • Reply 75 of 115
    hametahameta Posts: 79member
    domtoren wrote: »
    Darn. I have no stocks, drink beer and do nearly all my transport on a bicycle. Am I still allowed to own an iPhone?

Sure, Of Course, You Can.

Only What is Required out of Apple Products Owners is
    " Love & Respect " for " Steve Jobs " !

• Reply 76 of 115
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

I hold low opinions of people who generalize people of any demographic.

This study is funny as people claim you have to separate the high end and low end phones when it comes to market share because it would be way different in the high end market share arena. Which is something I absolutely agree with but when it's a stupid study like this it's OK to group all the high end and low end Android phones together to get a conclusion you want.

This "study" proves nothing if and when you separate the high end from the low end.

I take great issue with people who ignore generalization as if real stereotypes and demographics don't exist.

• Reply 77 of 115
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Frankly it all seems absurd to me and in terms of price, on a subsidized phone, there's little to no difference in cost between an iPhone and an Android phone. I bet the sample size was quite small.

Price really isn't the issue anymore, it's time.  Most white collar workers do not have the time to tinker with their phone, customize it, fix it, etc...  They just want something that works all the time.

I'm a tech geek and would love an Android phone to play with, but I also know that I do not have the time to do so.  That's why I have my iPhone. 

• Reply 78 of 115
    ryannejryannej Posts: 15member
    genovelle wrote: »
    Then of course you have carriers like At&t who sends me emails every week trying to convince me to buy a android phone. If you go to their website you would think they only sell android. You have to search for an iPhone. You'd think the top selling phone on their network was Samsung. The fact that Apple beats them on all the major US carriers speaks volumes

Hitting the nail on the head here. I'm amazed at how much Samsung is being pushed everywhere. I have seen this on a few carrier sites as well as had carriers promote Samsung on social media with strategically placed paid ads. People are being fooled into thinking its great cause Samsung pays so much money to whore it out to any advertising platform it can. Its nauseating an I'm seeing more people I know talking about wanting their phones and phablets and or having just bought a new one. They know people can be suckered in by a good deal. Though, the experiences leave people cold. An ex of mine who is a hardcore android user since day 1, hated Apple has been admitting to using an iPad and iPhone more and more and admitting his S4 sucks. Never thought I'd see that.

Anyway, I have to say I think the study is hilarious and of course its not gonna necessarily be the case for each person. I'm a walking contradiction of that study. Similar to someone a few posts back, I too am disabled and can't work unless for myself (working on self publishing) and my iPad and iPhone help me do that. Also, vegetarian and haven't set foot inside Walmart in over a year. My tv is an old tv/VCR combo from 2000 and no cable or satellite so no Fox News or any of it. No alcohol in my home as i don't drink anymore. No guns.

Though I once used to be an android user a few years back before I realized I actually had to get stuff done on my phone and not spend my life stressing out over custom ROMs and stupid crap. I as time passed I started to have little faith in the security of the platform and it was a bad time. Then when the thing broke (bad design of home screen buttons caused the digitizer to stop functioning) bought an iPhone and never looked back. I was that desperate to stop the rat race.

I too, had been one of those "Fandroids" with the wrong idea and no idea what I was talking about as I spouted the same idiotic tripe of "Omg, I can dual boot, run this and customize that, I have full control!" Its similar to some of the PC crowd who insist their custom "rig" is better than a Mac any day while pointing out their built in a cigarette lighter and tray to hold their beer (I'm not making this up, its on YouTube!)

Sure at the end of the day, it's about personal taste and if one likes their foie gras and Pinot with a side of Android or if one Instagrams their meal of Chicken McNuggets and Natty Ice with an iPhone, then that's their choice. :)

That was long, I apologize.
  • Reply 79 of 115
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I use an iPhone and I travel by plane. Then again, if there was a bus from India to England, I'd probably take it.

You'd probably have to ride on top though .... :D
  • Reply 80 of 115
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    pmz wrote: »
    I take great issue with people who ignore generalization as if real stereotypes and demographics don't exist.

You are right, there are a few on this blog that are so archetypical of a certain dogma ridden, entrenched, ridged and mentality inflexible attitude as to be clichéic.