Apple rumored to launch 4.7-inch 'iPhone 6' in August, larger model in September

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
According to the latest rumblings out of the Far East, Apple is planning to debut the 4.7-inch version of its next-generation iPhone in August and may follow up with a larger model a month later.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

Reuters on Friday pointed to a report from Taiwan's Economic Daily News that cited unnamed sources in Apple's supply chain as saying the hotly anticipated "iPhone 6" could be unveiled in August, one month earlier than the company's usual product cycle.

Light on details, the Taiwanese publication claims Apple will release the 4.7-inch version of its flagship handset before a larger 5.5-inch or 5.6-inch model debuts in September. Rumors of a 5.6-inch iPhone has been tossed out before -- most recently in February by the same newspaper -- though prevailing speculation points to a 5.5-inch screen size.

While initial market availability is unknown, sources expect Apple's partner suppliers to produce a total of 80 million iPhone 6 models by the end of 2014.

Friday's rumor adds to the near daily stream of supposed parts leaks, mockups and inside information regarding Apple's next iPhone. On Thursday, it was reported that Pegatron will be responsible for 15 percent of all 4.7-inch iPhone 6 orders, a change from Apple's usual reliance on Foxconn to build its premium tier handsets.

For 2014, Apple is widely expected to debut two new top-end iPhones with larger screens that appeal to a wider swath of consumers. Until today, most reports speculated that the smaller version of Apple's iPhone 6 would launch in September, while the larger iteration would see release months later due to issues related to display and battery yields.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    grape ceogrape ceo Posts: 26member
    That sounds great since most OEMs unveil their devices during the IFA September event leaving August all to Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    A 4.7", 5.5" and now a 5.6" model?
    Apple is turning into a certain Korean company who shall not be named. /s
  • Reply 3 of 29
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    80 million iPhones in 4 months? What is Cook crazy? They sold 53 million this past Christmas quarter. So last year, if they released the 5s in August, they would have sold 70 million. This year, they are releasing 2 new sizes, are expanding into China Mobile daily, have tens of millions wanting a larger iPhone, and they plan on building 10% more? I know it's a rumor, but to think Apple will produce anything less than 110 million iPhone 6's is foolish. However, it's possible the 80 million figure refers to the 4.7" version only.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

80 million iPhones in 4 months? What is Cook crazy? They sold 53 million this past Christmas quarter. So last year, if they released the 5s in August, they would have sold 70 million. This year, they are releasing 2 new sizes, are expanding into China Mobile daily, have tens of millions wanting a larger iPhone, and they plan on building 10% more? I know it's a rumor, but to think Apple will produce anything less than 110 million iPhone 6's is foolish. However, it's possible the 80 million figure refers to the 4.7" version only.

There was an article that mentioned that Apple had reached 500,000 iPhones a day in production, so if they were operating 24/7 at that level, they could produce 45 Million units in 3 months.  So, hopefully they have/are going to increase that production level enough to meet these high production levels.  They did off load MacPro production to the US, and I'm assuming they will be doing the same for the iMacs/MacMinis once they announce new refresh models later this year, which would at least free up the physical space to increase production levels.  That's at least one logical way they might be able to reach that production level.  I know it's ambitious, but time will tell how well they can meet the demand.

I just hope it doesn't take them 6 months to be able to ship new orders within 24 hours, which is ultimately the goal.  I don't think Apple is going to have a demand issue as much as they might have a production issue and it permeates all of the way to each of the component mfg.

• Reply 5 of 29
    water coolerwater cooler Posts: 150member
    One shall never worry nor analyze the rumors. Unless u r working for S;?,!.&' or G&;&?,!,(
  • Reply 6 of 29
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Another article of the same thing.... Ughh
  • Reply 7 of 29
    pizdecpizdec Posts: 23member
    5.7 will not be iPhone, its going to be new iPod
  • Reply 8 of 29
    ajmonlineajmonline Posts: 56member

I don't see them releasing a 4.7 iPhone and then a month later and saying here is the 5.5.  I know too many iPad 3 buyers who were pissed when the iPad 4 came out 6 months later.  I could however see Apple announcing both versions and releasing the 4.7 immediately to 2 weeks and the 5.5 at a later date.

• Reply 9 of 29
    Makes sense.

A slow creep starting with the 4.7" means that when the big phone comes out it looks less like a capitulation to consumer demand.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 188member

2 new iPhone models within a months time? Who would actually believe such a thing?

• Reply 11 of 29
    flipkrakflipkrak Posts: 1member
    Just this week canadian wireless companies have all drop the prices of the iPhone 5c and 5s on a 24 month contract which, as per experience, signifies something is up for June. Hmm, I don't think the new iPhone is up for release on August, it would be earlier..
  • Reply 12 of 29
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Apple buying Beats??!!

Apple releasing a new phone in August??!!

Apple releasing a 5.6" phone??!!

Tim!! Put those down!! Those are not M&Ms!!!

• Reply 13 of 29
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pizdec View Post

5.7 will not be iPhone, its going to be new iPod

Agreed. No way Apple releases an iPhone that's over 5". If anything it will finally be an iPod touch with a "Wi-Fi + Cellular" model just like the iPad. They haven't updated the iPod touch in a long time, it's due. And Apple is taking out the "phablet" market.

4", 4.7" iPhone models

4", 5.5" iPod touch models (Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi + Cellular)

• Reply 14 of 29
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMonline View Post

I don't see them releasing a 4.7 iPhone and then a month later and saying here is the 5.5.  I know too many iPad 3 buyers who were pissed when the iPad 4 came out 6 months later.  I could however see Apple announcing both versions and releasing the 4.7 immediately to 2 weeks and the 5.5 at a later date.

If both versions indeed exists, then this is what its referring to. A simultaneous announcement, with separate release dates, much like the iPads last year.

And it probably makes sense to release the smaller model first as it will likely be cheaper and prove more popular than the 5.5

Despite what analysts think and bloggers may post, most people don't want a 5.5" phone.

• Reply 15 of 29
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Agreed. No way Apple releases an iPhone that's over 5". If anything it will finally be an iPod touch with a "Wi-Fi + Cellular" model just like the iPad. They haven't updated the iPod touch in a long time, it's due. And Apple is taking out the "phablet" market.

4", 4.7" iPhone models

4", 5.5" iPod touch models (Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi + Cellular)

Doesn't make sense to label it as an iPod. Not in the slightest. It barely makes sense to call the current iPod touch an iPod. Making it 5.5" and adding cellular radio for DATA only makes it an iPad. Far more iPad than iPod. People are more likely to buy an iPad than iPod.

You think it doesn't matter which vowel in used in the name for the 5.5" device, but it certainly does.

• Reply 16 of 29
    Cook is supposedly this supply-chain genius, yet year after year it seems like we read about demand outstripping supply. The new Mac won't reach balance within 6 months of release. How is this possible? Is it deliberate? If it again happens this fall, as an investor, I'm tired of it. Anyone else think 80 million iPhones over 4 months is low?
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

Cook is supposedly this supply-chain genius, yet year after year it seems like we read about demand outstripping supply. The new Mac won't reach balance within 6 months of release. How is this possible? Is it deliberate? If it again happens this fall, as an investor, I'm tired of it. Anyone else think 80 million iPhones over 4 months is low?

Not me. Apple would be damned near at absolutely full throttle hitting 70 million in 4 months let alone 80.

Apple knows its capacity level and its selling level. I'm sure that TC wouldn't want to pay for another factory unless he was absolutely positive that it would be used for nothing less than extra 7-9 million units a month. The idea of opening up a new factory to product another 2-3 million units a month would be abhorrent to him.

Right now I think Apple has the capacity to hit 70 million in 4 months... but hitting sales above 70 million is the question.

• Reply 18 of 29
    pmz wrote: »
    If both versions indeed exists, then this is what its referring to. A simultaneous announcement, with separate release dates, much like the iPads last year.

And it probably makes sense to release the smaller model first as it will likely be cheaper and prove more popular than the 5.5

Despite what analysts think and bloggers may post, most people don't want a 5.5" phone.

Agree, that most people won't want the 5.5", however the number that do will still be very substantial. Story after story portrays Asians as using phablets in lieu of tablets. It will definitely take a large % of the Note's market share. I'm hoping it comes in at 5.6" to put it closer to the Note's size, but without infringing on the iPad mini, which will still be substantially larger. I don't see as much cannibalization as some project.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Not me. Apple would be damned near at absolutely full throttle hitting 70 million in 4 months let alone 80.

Apple knows its capacity level and its selling level. I'm sure that TC wouldn't want to pay for another factory unless he was absolutely positive that it would be used for nothing less than extra 7-9 million units a month. The idea of opening up a new factory to product another 2-3 million units a month would be abhorrent to him.

Right now I think Apple has the capacity to hit 70 million in 4 months... but hitting sales above 70 million is the question.

Apple sold near 70 million in the last 4 months of 2013. That would be very little growth.

Wonder what the mix was? Maybe they only sold 40-45 million 5S'. That's where I'm getting confused. 80 million iPhone 6's and another 20-30 million older iPhones seems more plausible. Anyone know if the 5S will be discontinued?
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Apple sold near 70 million in the last 4 months of 2013. That would be very little growth.

Wonder what the mix was? Maybe they only sold 40-45 million 5S'. That's where I'm getting confused. 80 million iPhone 6's and another 20-30 million older iPhones seems more plausible. Anyone know if the 5S will be discontinued?

Moving from 30 million to 40 million is doable. Moving from 40 million to 47 million is doable. Moving from 47 million to 52 million is harder... and so on and so on...  (per quarter)

I think that Apple can do 60 million in the holiday quarter. Tops. I think production would break down severely at that level.

Add another 14 million in the last month of the 4th fiscal quarter and you've got the absolute limit that I see before people have to wait 6-7 weeks to get a phone, yet still not enough demand to open another factory.

imo... 80 million of one phone in  4 months is ridiculous.