Berkeley Apple Store glass entrance is latest to be smashed by car [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What’s up with not having retractable… what do they call ‘em? Not balustrades…

That would work. Pop-up bollards.  (I had to search -- couldn't remember the term either). Maybe have them be an extruded apple logo to stamp the bottom of the car really well too.

• Reply 22 of 69
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Why not just use glass that doesn't break?

• Reply 23 of 69
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    As for these robberies, maybe Apple should implement a system that releases knockout gas when the windows are broken, rendering the thieves (and most likely Android users, as some past Apple thieves have been), unconscious, so that they can be picked up by the cops.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple really needs pylons in front of all outdoor stores.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What’s up with not having retractable… what do they call ‘em? Not balustrades…

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smaffei View Post

Decorative poles at the street edge of the curb would solve this without taking away from the storefront aesthetic.

Heck, do something uniquely Apple… make them look like iPod earphones coming up out of the curb.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by schlack View Post

one way spikes?

Retractable bollards.

• Reply 25 of 69
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    They should use a deterrent approach: Upon closing they would lower a scrim over the storefront that makes it look like a Microsoft store.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

An active security system is needed. How about claymores triggered by radar when it senses a large metal object approaching the window at speed? Or popup barriers like the ones in Watchdogs?

Considering how often people want to sue Apple, it would probably be cheaper to just replace the glass.

• Reply 27 of 69
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Retractable bollards.

Those are effective!  

But I think the prettier solution would be a moat with an iDrawbridge.

• Reply 28 of 69
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple should build a moat and fill it with sharks outfitted with lasers.

Apple should put up posts spaced 3-4 feet.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Retractable bollards.

Yeah they have used those in Europe for decades.  Not sure why we don't use them more in USA since we are allegedly so security conscious these days.  Put them up at night, take them down in the morning.

• Reply 30 of 69
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple really needs pylons in front of all outdoor stores.

May be some chairs made of steel?

• Reply 31 of 69
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    apple ][ wrote: »

The thieves will arrive with rebreathers.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    How about better security cameras so that the license plates could actually be read so the thieves could be tracked down?

Or bricking all the machines that have been stolen the first time they attempt a software update, a sync or go to an Apple website?
  • Reply 33 of 69
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    I think covering the Apple logo with a "Microsoft Store" sign at night would be a sufficient deterrent.

(Cue the parade of Asus and Lenovo tablet pictures from the Peter Bright aliases)
  • Reply 34 of 69
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    They should have some bolerroids retract when from weight sensors sense a car. And bull it proof glass. Big that net got them well. Haha they panicked a lot in that video.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    welshdog wrote: »
    Yeah they have used those in Europe for decades.  Not sure why we don't use them more in USA since we are allegedly so security conscious these days.  Put them up at night, take them down in the morning.

Seems the obvious solution doesn't it? Although I do like my laser them to bits idea too. :D
  • Reply 36 of 69
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder what the cost in damages this has cost Apple each year. I wonder if hiring a security guard to be available at these stores with street side access would a good enough deterrent.

There are 424 Apple Stores and the average salary for a security guard is $22k per year (all other figures will be estimates). Let's say half are in malls or otherwise protected from this sort of attack. This leaves 212 vulnerable stores. Now you need 7 day a week coverage so you need at least two guys for a week so you can have one guy there per night for a 10 to 6am shift (even though this leaves the space unprotected during breaks). That's 70 hours per week which using an $11 per hour wage which I doubled for cost I get $1,540 per store. For 212 stores that's $326,480 per year at an extremely conservative estimate which I think is unreasonable for an average pay, because it leaves a store vulnerable every night, and I believe that much money could probably go to designing a better system to deter thieves.

A lonely security guard might stop someone from using a hammer or tool to break into a store, but it probably wouldn't stop anyone from smashing their car through the gates, as in the video and it would probably put the guard in great danger, if not from the car, from any weapons these idiots might be carrying.   

Best way to stop these kinds of attacks, as per my other post, is to brick the stolen devices and go all out to catch the thieves and publicize all.   Kill the market for the stolen devices and demonstrate that you're gonna' get caught anyway and these thefts will stop.    

And there's several other potential solutions:

- although it would be a big pain:   like most jewelry stores, lock up all the devices in a vault at night.   

or

- for the store environments, create special versions of the devices that need some signal from Apple's internal networks to run.   Take them out of the store and they won't work.    Or, do it with hardware - the way coded car radios used to work after a plague of car radio thefts.  Remove them from the special dock that's used in the stores and they don't work.  

• Reply 37 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    paxman wrote: »
    Those are effective!  

But I think the prettier solution would be a moat with an iDrawbridge.

Molten lead ...
  • Reply 38 of 69
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    I work half a block down on the same street. I'll have to investigate on my way to work in only 15 mins.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    carson o'geniccarson o'genic Posts: 1,279member

Now we know why Apple is investing in sapphire production.

• Reply 40 of 69
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Retractable bollards.

No, does not comply with Apple store image.  Why not retractable steel chairs?