Beats deal defenders cite 'humanized' music subscription service as benefit to Apple

Comments

• Reply 81 of 243
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Before the internet, that's what friends were for. :smokey:

Well, one of the things ...

How we listen to music may have changed drastically since the advent of the iPod. I know I am much more likely to listen to music with in-ear phones, unlike when I was younger. I still find new music via friends but I am not accidentally/randomly coming across new music that tweaks my ears.
  • Reply 82 of 243
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, sure...

Oh give me a break.  It's down about 1%.

And he was right: No stock goes up and up and up forever.  

• Reply 83 of 243
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

According to @snova and @Rogifan, if Apple says nothing it means it's definitely happening. Now where is my iPhone mini* and Apple HDTV?

Give it a rest SolipsismX.  flat out lying about what I said is not helping your desire to appear open minded and fair. You are welcome to quote and post where I said what you claim and if not you by you, then anyone else is welcome to review what I said for themselves.

btw, need more sandbags or are you ready to start picking out condiments to go with that crow?  You have pretty much done a 180 from where you started about this can not possibly true because YOU and anyone else here is not able figure out the reported 3.2B valuation.

• Reply 84 of 243
    snova wrote: »
    Give it a rest SolipsismX.  flat out lying about what I said is not helping your desire to appear open minded and fair. You are welcome to quote and post where I said what you claim and if not you by you, then anyone else is welcome to review what I said for themselves.

btw, need more sandbags or are you ready to start picking out condiments to go with that crow?  You have pretty much done a 180 from where you started.

I would love for you to explain this 180 I've done. Please cite any and all contradictory comments.
  • Reply 85 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, sure...

Oh give me a break.  It's down about 1%.

And he was right: No stock goes up and up and up forever.  

most of the market is down. big whoop.  If Apple was smart they would choose today as a day to buyback some more stock if the lowered stock price had anything to do with people who don't know shit about the deal and true value to the company in the future.

• Reply 86 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Anybody hear seen the financials of Apple's and Beats' music business? How about Beats' headphones business?  No?  Then STFU!  You have no basis for judging whether $3.2B is too much.  

we are aligned and pretty much the same thing I have been saying. bravo. Wait and see what happens and why. Everything else on here will be noise and SWAGs.

• Reply 87 of 243
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

most of the market is down. big whoop. 

So what? Apple often trades inverse to the market, and especially on a day when a big rumor is revealed, I'd say that it's telling that the stock did not react positively.

Rumors about big buyouts often move stocks.

• Reply 88 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

most of the market is down. big whoop. 

So what? Apple often trades inverse to the market, and especially on a day when a big rumor is revealed, I'd say that it's telling that the stock did not react positively.

Rumors about big buyouts often move stocks.

if true, then Apple would be buying today and make good use out of the buyback program funds

• Reply 89 of 243
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member

This is not going to happen for $3.2 billions.

• Reply 90 of 243
    docwallabydocwallaby Posts: 35member

Wow, the level of idiocy in this thread is astounding. Steve Jobs did not introduce an all-new, revolutionary product category every 3 years. That is fact. In fact, it was six years between the release of the iPod (2001) and iPhone (2007). Most companies go through their entire lifespan without releasing a single revolutionary new product, and a lot more than just Steve Jobs went into the ones that Apple did create.

Scott Forstall was a visionless, abrasive asshole who alienated his peers and who released half-baked products like Apple Maps, said they were ready for primetime, and embarrassed the company. Steve Jobs was an obsessive perfectionist who, despite being abrasive, was a visionary and excellent leader. To compare Forstall to Jobs is an insult to Jobs's memory. Tim Cook was right to fire him.

Under Tim Cook, Apple has ...

Released the first mobile devices powered by a 64-bit SOC.

Released the first actual, working fingerprint identification system on a mobile device.

Released a first-of-its-kind Mac Pro.

Released Apple CarPlay, the first major step towards providing a solution to in-car systems.

Released iBeacons, a technology that will become a major part of our daily lives in the years to come and which is already seeing adoption in a wide variety of venues (retail, entertainment, etc.), and will only become increasingly important as time goes on.

And so on.

You people who complain about Apple's lack of innovation need to get your heads out of your asses. If you think you're really smarter than the people Apple employs, why don't you apply for a job in Cupertino and show them what you can do? You think there's some magic wand that Steve Jobs could wave and *POOF* new product categories appeared? No. It's not that simple.

In regards to the Beats acquisition, which may still be a load of crap ... Apple has made a lot of smart acquisitions over the last couple years covering a wide variety of services and technologies. None of us know what's going on with this Beats deal, but if Apple is willing to spend $3.2 billion on it, it must be something important. Something they can't replicate. Something that involves the future of their business. I may disagree with the stock repurchase and the dividend increase, but aside from those two decisions Apple has proven to be very smart with its money and very deliberate in its actions.

So how about, instead of running around crying "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" we take a breather, see if this is even real or not (Dre's video could just be a huge publicity stunt), and trust the folks who actually know what's going on when they decide that whatever Beats has that Apple wants is worth the price Apple is paying for it.

And we can all pretty much take it for granted that whatever Apple's after, it's not the brand of overpriced headphones.

• Reply 91 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docwallaby View Post

None of us know what's going on with this Beats deal, but if Apple is willing to spend $3.2 billion on it, it must be something important. 

exactly.     Important enough for CEO to meet CEO face to face, 1 year ago.   The companies comments said it was an "informal" meeting in the article, which is laughable.  CEO don't go around informally meeting face to face.  If and when they do, that happens at a public event or dinner out.

• Reply 92 of 243
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Interview of Iovine with Mossberg: http://live.wsj.com/video/producer-jimmy-iovine-at-d-dive-into-media/B135580F-2DC6-47CD-8BAD-924E07AB6C21.html#!B135580F-2DC6-47CD-8BAD-924E07AB6C21 (video, approx. 40 minutes)

1) He pooh-poohs Apple's included headphones. For that reason alone I'd like to see Apple do anything that will correct that.

2) This makes me think about the previous rumour of high-quality music being sold. Could Iovine be instrumental in getting that to happen?

3) Beats bought MOG earlier this year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOG_(online_music)

4) Iovine talks about how Spotify is limited. He makes a lot of good points.

5) That algorithm sounds like it's right up Apple's street.

6) I love what he had to said (starting about 28 minutes in) about how music companies will never get technology right and technology companies will never get curation right. I'm digging this idea of excellent curation and I do want to know what the next song is.

I don't mean to cherry-pick your quotes -- rather to curate them ;)

I think this could be a new buying service -- kinda' iTunes on steroids.

Think of it this way, it [Apple] knows (with your approval):
    • who you are
    • where you are
    • what you're doing
    • what kind of mood you're in
    • what stimulates your various moods
    • your credit card
    • potentially
      • How much money you have to spend
      • what you want to buy
      • what is important to you
      • who you want to buy it from
      • comparative products, sources and prices
      • what's in your shopping cart

We're talking' about a curation engine that understands you!

Of what value could that possibly be?

For those who didn't see it in the earlier thread:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 93 of 243
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    I actually like the deal. Hoping it will happen.

A Facebook friend posted about the Beats streaming service about 2 months back. I liked what I saw and was thinking to myself that Apple should have done iRadio this way.

I didn't subscribe because the first sign-up screen asks for my cell number, email and other details. I wasn't ready to commit all these so quickly. If it's Apple, it would be a different story.

Was surprised to see the rumor pop up yesterday, but glad too.

As for the headphone business, I have always wondered what Apple want to do next after Earpod.

Reinventing headphones just struck me as a natural next step. It is a wearable tech product, so common that I totally forgot about it. With high enough margin in the premium headphone market, Apple should be able to reinvent it as much as they want. It would solve Beats' perception issue amongst technologists that technology is lacking behind the product.
  • Reply 94 of 243

• who you are
    • where you are
    • your credit card
    • potentially
      • what you want to buy

[VIDEO]

No. Don't do yet another buying or recommendation engine Apple. Use human curators.
  • Reply 95 of 243
    Still waiting for [@]snova[/@] to show where I made an absolute statement against this acquisition happening just to do a near 180 saying it will happen.
  • Reply 96 of 243
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    First the rumors of a 5.5 inch Phablet iPhone - something they said they'd never do and now this Beats thing! I've tried out Beats headphones, they're crap! Flashy with poor build quality and terrible overtly bass heavy sound. They lack the quality and excellent industrial design of most Apple products. I hope this doesn't happen, Beats are not worth the outlay!
  • Reply 97 of 243
    macvertigomacvertigo Posts: 76member
    "High end headphones". That's laughable.
  • Reply 98 of 243
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    patsu wrote: »

• who you are
    • where you are
    • your credit card
    • potentially
      • what you want to buy

No. Don't do yet another buying or recommendation engine Apple. Use human curators.

You misunderstand -- What beats does human-driven curation based on you, your, mood, the moment!

Watch the linked Walt/Jimmy video!

http://video-api.wsj.com/api-video/player/iframe.html?guid=B135580F-2DC6-47CD-8BAD-924E07AB6C21&mg=reno64-wsj
  • Reply 99 of 243
    1983 wrote: »
    First the rumors of a 5.5 inch Phablet iPhone - something they said they'd never do and now this Beats thing! I've tried out Beats headphones, they're crap! Flashy with poor build quality and terrible overtly bass heavy sound. They lack the quality and excellent industrial design of most Apple products. I hope this doesn't happen, Beats are not worth the outlay!

There are more than one Beats headphone. The original Beats by Dre are he only ones I'm aware of being overly bassy
  • Reply 100 of 243
    We may laugh now.

But if Beats could market regular headphones for a premium, what can they do when Apple put its build quality and high tech into Beats ? ^_^